Author Topic: Domino's - inspiration - a quick story  (Read 540 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Domino's - inspiration - a quick story
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
J,

As a student of how the big pizza chains operate, I was able to find the Domino's ingredients lists and Nutrition Guides going back to 2008. The Domino's "makeover" was introduced to the public in December of 2009. But what I found from all of the Domino's ingredients lists was that the ingredients for the hand tossed dough/crust did not change since 2008. The ingredients were the same back in 2008 as it they are now in 2014. This is that ingredients list, as taken from the 2008 Domino's ingredients list, which is the same as in the 2014 ingredients list:

Hand Tossed Crust: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Folic Acid) Water, Vegetable Oil (Soybean), Sugar, Salt, Yeast, Vital Wheat Gluten, Less than 1% Dough Conditioners: [Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Whey, Enzyme (with Wheat Starch), Ascorbic Acid, L-cysteine, and Silicon Dioxide added as processing aid]

No doubt there were changes in the sources and brands of ingredients over the years, and maybe even the implementation and percents of certain ingredients, but the ingredients themselves did not change, as by deleting or adding ingredients to the 2008 version. Also, while I did not conduct an exhaustive line by line comparison of the Domino's Nutrition Guides, what comparison I did conduct, using a large (14") pizza for this purpose, does not show a change in the nutrition information for the crust. Where there have been changes due to the 2009 "makeover" have been for the pizza sauce (a more robust sauce) and the use of a Garlic Oil Blend and a Garlic and Herb Shake-on. Consumers were apparently expecting changes in the dough itself but the changes beyond the pizza sauce were for the Garlic Oil Blend and the Garlic and Herb Shake-on. The Garlic Oil Blend is applied topically to the rims of baked pizzas, typically using a squeeze bottle or maybe a brush in some cases. The Garlic and Herb Shake-on is sprinkled over the baked pizzas. Many consumers complained about the heavy garlic taste of the rims of the Domino's crusts, so apparently they can order the Domino's pizzas without those flavoring sources. The Garlic Oil Blend and the Garlic and Herb Shake-on products are marvels of modern food technology, as you can see here:

Garlic Oil Blend: Butter Flavored Oil [Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (color), TBHQ and Citric Acid added to Protect Flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane, an Anti-Foaming Agent added], Palm Oil, Dehydrated Garlic, Imitation Parmesan Cheese [Water, Food Starch, Casein, Caseinate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Powder, Whey, Salt, Stabilizers (Mono- and Diglycerides, Guar Gum, Carrageenan), Modified Food Starch, Natural Flavor, Sodium Phosphates, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid (as a preservative)], Salt, Modified Food Starch, Spice, Flavors [Natural Butter Flavor (Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Enzyme-Modified Butter Oil, Annatto & Turmeric, for color), Natural Flavors (contains Canola Oil and Lipolyzed Butter Oil)], Lactic Acid, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake, Citric Acid, Oleoresin Garlic (Tri-glycerides, Soy Oil, Natural Flavor, Mono-diglycerides) and no greater than 2% Silicon Dioxide added to prevent caking.

Garlic and Herb Shake-on: Garlic, Onion, Spices (Black Pepper, Fennel, Parsley, Basil, Bay Leaves, Marjoram, Oregano, Savory, Thyme, Red Pepper, Coriander, Cumin, Mustard, Rosemary, and Celery Seed), *Carrot, *Orange Peel, Natural Flavor, Flavor (Natural Flavoring, Soy Lecithin), and no greater than 2% Soybean Oil added as a processing aid.

I might add that the Garlic Oil Blend is somewhat different today than it was in 2009. Here is the latest version:

2014 Garlic Oil Blend: Butter Flavored Oil [Liquid and Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Salt, Natural Flavors (contain Canola Oil, Lipolyzed Butter Oil), Sunflower and Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Colored With Turmeric and Beta Carotene, TBHQ and Citric Acid added to Preserve Freshness, Artificial and Natural Butter Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate, Artificial Color], Dehydrated Garlic, Parmesan Cheese (Part Skim Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Salt, Parsley, Natural Flavors, Annatto Color, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Oleoresin Rosemary.

As best I can tell, Domino's went from 46 ingredients for the Garlic Oil Blend to 30 ingredients. I'm sure that part of the change was to get rid of Trans Fats, which is why the palm oil is used for the current version.

This is the current Domino's pizza sauce:

Pizza Sauce: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Sugar, Salt, Spices, Garlic, Soybean Oil, and Citric Acid.

For comparison purposes, this was the 2008 Domino's pizza sauce:

2008 Pizza sauce: Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Tomato Extract Blend, Contains less than 2% of Salt, Sugar, Spices, Herbs, Garlic, Citric Acid, and Natural Flavors

And, throughout the 2008-2014 period, Domino's did not change its basic mozzarella pizza cheese, which is a Leprino product. But it did add some shredded Provolone cheese which apparently augments the Leprino product on the pizzas. This is the composition of the Leprino mozzarella product:

Pizza Cheese: Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Food Starch, Cellulose (Added To Prevent Caking), Nonfat Milk, Whey Protein Concentrate, Flavors, Sodium Propionate (Added as a Preservative).

By my reckoning, a typical Domino's hand tossed pizzas with all of the above components is made up of over 90 ingredients. Because of the generic "spices", the actual number will be higher.

I will leave to others to debate whether the changes implemented by Domino's in 2009 and continuing to the present were major changes or cosmetic ones.

Peter