Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 131499 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #1860 on: November 01, 2013, 05:53:55 PM »
Oh, yes. I've been using November's site almost since the day I discovered it after joining here.

Since you were so active in this thread, and many others, I just wanted a record of which formula you liked best. Don't really know when I'll get around to making it. With your background in pizza making and all the hard work you put in here, I really respect your opinion on matters here.

Again, thanks.

Dwight,

Glad you to hear you have been using November's tools since the day you discovered them.  ;D

Thanks for your kind words.  I really don't think I had a favorite MM formulation though.  I liked most of them. 

When you get around to trying a MM clone pizza post some photos if you can.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline theboozler

« Reply #1861 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
Well I took another crack at this dough I just wanted to add my data point to this already massive thread. I've only just started making homemade pies, to date they have all left something to be desired. I just made my second attempt at the mellow mushroom dough over the weekend and I have to say, this is the first time I've taken a bite of homemade pizza and told my self "d**n, now that's a good pizza". Not only that, but everyone told me it tastes just like MM. So for any other newbies who might be reading this thread here is what I did.

I started with Pete's MM formula #7.

I used Grandmas original molasses instead of golden barrel because I can't find golden barrel.

I used King Arthur bread flour and Hodgson Mills Vital Wheat Gluten instead of Pendleton power flour. I can't find Pendletons either. I used the mixed mass calculator to come up with a flour mixture of 13.5% protein.

On Wednesday I made my dough, divided into 4 dough balls, and went straight to the freezer.
On Saturday afternoon I moved the dough balls to the fridge to defrost and ferment.
On Sunday evening I made 3 pizzas.
On Monday evening I used my last dough ball to make a calzone.

I cooked my pies in a conventional gas oven, on the middle rack, on top of a preheated Big Green Egg pizza stone. The oven temp was 500 for the pizzas on Sunday, and 475 for Mondays calzone. 7 minutes 30 seconds was just the right time for the pizzas, the calzone cooked about a minute longer.

I used a New York style pizza sauce recipe from seriouseats.com, trader joe's low moisture whole milk mozzarella, and whatever other toppings everyone wanted. I brushed the crusts with a clarified butter and roasted garlic mixture, and sprinkled on some grated Parmesan cheese. The pizzas were great.

Some thoughts:
The dough on Monday night was allowed to rise for an extra day and was certainly much more fermented and ready to go than Sundays dough. Sunday's dough had risen just a little bit but Monday's dough was exploding out of its container. Mondays dough was also much easier to work with and stretch out. I also liked the flavor and texture of Monday's dough better. So, next time I will be allowing my doughs to rise two days in the fridge and cooking my pizzas at 475 degrees. Keep in mind that everyone's oven is different and I could have simply measured out too little yeast, your mileage may very.

I fully expected the pies to take longer to cook, though at under 8 minutes they seemed done to me. What are y'alls opinion on cook time? Perhaps we were eating undercooked pizzas and we're too ignorant to know any better?

Anyway, they tasted great and I'm happy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 11:12:14 PM by theboozler »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1862 on: April 14, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
Well I took another crack at this dough I just wanted to add my data point to this already massive thread. I've only just started making homemade pies, to date they have all left something to be desired. I just made my second attempt at the mellow mushroom dough over the weekend and I have to say, this is the first time I've taken a bite of homemade pizza and told my self "d**n, now that's a good pizza". Not only that, but everyone told me it tastes just like MM. So for any other newbies who might be reading this thread here is what I did.

I used Grandmas original molasses instead of golden barrel because I can't find golden barrel.

I used King Arthur bread flour and Hodgson Mills Vital Wheat Gluten instead of Pendleton power flour. I can't find Pendletons either. I used the mixed mass calculator to come up with a flour mixture of 13.5% protein.

On Wednesday I made my dough, divided into 4 dough balls, and went straight to the freezer.
On Saturday afternoon I moved the dough balls to the fridge to defrost and ferment.

I cooked my pies in a conventional gas oven, on the middle rack, on top of a preheated Big Green Egg pizza stone. The oven temp was 500 for the pizzas on Sunday, and 475 for Mondays calzone. 7 minutes 30 seconds was just the right time for the pizzas, the calzone cooked about a minute longer.

I used a New York style pizza sauce recipe from seriouseats.com, trader joe's low moisture whole milk mozzarella, and whatever other toppings everyone wanted. I brushed the crusts with a clarified butter and roasted garlic mixture, and sprinkled on some grated Parmesan cheese. The pizzas were great.

Some thoughts:
The dough on Monday night was allowed to rise for an extra day and was certainly much more fermented and ready to go than Sundays dough. Sunday's dough had risen just a little bit but Monday's dough was exploding out of its container. Mondays dough was also much easier to work with and stretch out. I also liked the flavor and texture of Monday's dough better. So, next time I will be allowing my doughs to rise two days in the fridge and cooking my pizzas at 475 degrees. Keep in mind that everyone's oven is different and I could have simply measured out too little yeast, your mileage may very.

I fully expected the pies to take longer to cook, though at under 8 minutes they seemed done to me. What are y'alls opinion on cook time? Perhaps we were eating undercooked pizzas and we're too ignorant to know any better?

Pics would help/be very nice.
Thank you.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

Some thoughts:

raging-pizza-head,

Thanks for your detailed post! Usually a longer cold fermented dough does taste better.  It is good you could see how the different dough balls performed when cold fermenting longer after the defrost.  I am glad you had good results with using Peter's #7 formulation with Grandmas molasses, and you and everyone else thought it tasted just like an MM pizza.  The Grandma's molasses also performed about the same for me in Peter's #7 formulation compared to the Golden Barrel molasses product.

Norma

Offline theboozler

Sorry Chicago Bob, I didn't snap any pictures, I was busy hosting and didn't think about it.

Norma, thanks for reminding me that I'm RagingPizzaHead, that made me laugh! What is your normal cook time on your MM pies?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

What is your normal cook time on your MM pies?

RagingPizzaHead,

It been a long while since I made a MM clone attempt.  I really can not recall what my bake times were.  Since I made most of my MM clone attempts in my Baker's Pride deck oven I don't think we would have the same bake times since you are baking in a home oven.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Around 12-14 min. at home iirc.

CB
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan