Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 238035 times)

Offline BardParker

Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2011, 10:34:59 PM »
Forgot to post the bottom view of the Fiery Hawaiian Hybrid.
 ???

Brent

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
Brent,

That is a beautiful looking pizza. It's looks like a work of art, and I bet it tasted great. Thanks for posting the photos and the details of the preparation of the pizza.

You must have quite a large family to polish off three 14" pizzas in an evening. ;D

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
Brent,

Thank you for posting your Fiery Hawaiian PJ hybrid pie!  I've never seen that pie before, but it sure looks like a stellar topping combination!  I am going to make this within the next couple of weeks.

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #343 on: November 29, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »
Will be trying that with my more adventerous friends soon.  The gf and her 3 year old aren't too hot on the hot stuff.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
BardParker, I see Frank's in the photo but don't see where you mention adding it.  Do you add that to the wing sauce?

Also, is they wing sauce like the typical buffalo wing sauce - i.e. can I use a mix of butter and Frank's?

Offline BardParker

« Reply #345 on: November 29, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
BardParker, I see Frank's in the photo but don't see where you mention adding it.  Do you add that to the wing sauce?

Also, is they wing sauce like the typical buffalo wing sauce - i.e. can I use a mix of butter and Frank's?

I have used both hot wing sauce brands in the trials.  I prefer the Ashanti brand - it is more mild and the Kids like it better too. I also think it is more like that used by Dominos (NO idea what they really use). I haven't tried mixing them but I have added them after the pizza sauce layer.  I used the Franks last time I made the recipe and it was still very good.  Need to take a trip to the store & get more.

Brent

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #346 on: November 30, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
I just did a tiny bit of googling, and while I didn't come across an official Domino's list of toppings, I did see one site which listed "hot sauce."  good thing, otherwise I would have been adding homeade wing sauce to my pizza (butter, franks and garlic).  I think i'll try using Franks when I do this, and maybe let people add it to their own liking.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
I just did a tiny bit of googling, and while I didn't come across an official Domino's list of toppings, I did see one site which listed "hot sauce."  good thing, otherwise I would have been adding homeade wing sauce to my pizza (butter, franks and garlic).  I think i'll try using Franks when I do this, and maybe let people add it to their own liking.

When I make buffalo chicken pizza I find that you get enough flavor and grease from the cheese so there is no need to add butter to the hot sauce. Ive used franks before, but i prefer texas petes buffalo style wing sauce. Also instead of pouring or drizzling the hot sauce you can dip whatever meat topping you plan on adding in it instead. For example I use shredded chicken breast and let it soak in hot sauce while i add other ingredients. Also another ingredient i use is kens special reserve blue cheese dressing. After i add my pizza sauce I take a squeeze cap and stick it on the dressing bottle and lightly drizzle the blue cheese dressing over the pizza sauce in a spiral motion. Then i add the cheese and the rest of the toppings.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #348 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
Today, at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16096.msg162383.html#msg162383, I reported on a phone call that I made to the company that makes a new line of tomato products that are sold at Wal-Mart under the name of Classico, a company that, like Escalon, is owned by Heinz. The specific product that I called about is the Classico crushed tomatoes. As noted in Reply 8, I was told that the Classico crushed tomatoes are very similar to the Escalon 6-in-1s that I have used to make a Papa John's clone pizza sauce for use with a PJ clone pizza. In fact, the Classico crushed tomatoes are produced by Escalon. I can't see any reason why the Classico crushed tomatoes can't be used in lieu of the 6-in-1s to make a credible PJ clone pizza sauce. I suspect the same is also true of the Classico ground peeled and unpeeled tomatoes that are also sold at Wal-Mart's. They are all of the fresh-pack variety, as is the case with the Stanislaus tomatoes used by Papa John's for its pizza sauce in its stores.

Peter

Offline PHXCobra

« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
Tried the fiery Hawaiian. Used a mix of different cheeses ( Mozzarella, Kroger Habaņero cheese, and Kroger nacho and taco), Franks Red Hot, and added pepperoni. Quite delicious although there is too much sugar in the dough and my kneading an balling needs some help
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:11:37 AM by PHXCobra »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
For those who are interested, one of our members, ChrisG, came up with an impressive whole-wheat flour blend version of the basic PJ clone pizza using a modification of the Papa John's clone dough formulation originally posted in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg58197.html#msg58197. Chris's whole-wheat version and his preparation methods can be seen at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16762.msg163418.html#msg163418.

Peter

Offline BardParker

« Reply #351 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Quick question,

I just made my 12th batch of the Pete-zza clone pizza.  Today I made the 2 day clone, mixed 2 days ago, set out to rise about 2 hrs before opening up.  I use as close a technique as I have seen on youtube.  I create a rim then press it outwards in a radial circumferential pattern until it is 8-10" diameter. 

Ocassionally I get a transparent bubble on the rim , or routinely a 2-3cm bubble at the center where the dough has not yet been pressed down.  I usually just pat the bubble firmly to decompress it.  Then dock the dough and finish with hand tossing.

Are these bubbles normal?  Is it correct to pat them down? Am I letting it rise too long?

When I cook it I usually get 2-4 rim bubbles and I fork them down at 2 minutes or so.

Brent ???

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #352 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
Quick question,

I just made my 12th batch of the Pete-zza clone pizza.  Today I made the 2 day clone, mixed 2 days ago, set out to rise about 2 hrs before opening up.  I use as close a technique as I have seen on youtube.  I create a rim then press it outwards in a radial circumferential pattern until it is 8-10" diameter. 

Ocassionally I get a transparent bubble on the rim , or routinely a 2-3cm bubble at the center where the dough has not yet been pressed down.  I usually just pat the bubble firmly to decompress it.  Then dock the dough and finish with hand tossing.

Are these bubbles normal?  Is it correct to pat them down? Am I letting it rise too long?

When I cook it I usually get 2-4 rim bubbles and I fork them down at 2 minutes or so.

if you are getting bubbles youre doing your pre-stretch right. pop them when they crust, before saucing.

Brent ???
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline ggrashow

« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Just made (2) fiery Hawaiian pizzas using the PJ Clone dough fermented for (9) days. I usually use the dough from day 4 to day 6, but this time it was still unused as of day 9.   The dough was mixed in an old hand mixer. I'm still using 4 TBSP of vital wheat gluten in the blend for a double batch along with KA Sir Lancelot flour.  The dough was kept undisturbed in a separate refrigerated drawer at 36° F.  The results were fantastic.  The rim was light and wonderful and the dough stood up to all the ingredients very well.  I used fresh mozzarella prepped using an egg slicer.  My 14" pans have 1/4" holes .  They are not really screens, but they give great results.  The crust is beautifully browned.  After 6 minutes at 525° F, I move them up to the top rack for another 3-4 minutes.  I have a great stone, but with the pans there is no need to preheat the stone and the crust comes out perfect.  Sometime, I'll figure out how to include photos with my post.  Thanks for a fiery idea...............Gary from New Hampshire

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Made the fiery hawaiian tonight, using Pete's 2 day dough and 6-in-1 PJ clone recipe.  Roasted my own red peppers even.  Turned out OK, but it was VERY wet which made the curst a soggy mess once I cut it.  My peppers were quite wet, should have drained them better.  I drained the pineapple, but think they must have let out some water too.  Anyhow, here are some pics:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
^^Is there any way I can get a darker rim on that pie?  I think it's white from the bench flour (?).  I actually haven't had a real PJ pizza in probablly 10 years, so I don't know if theirs look darker than that, but it seems really white to me.  thanks!   :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
^^Is there any way I can get a darker rim on that pie?  I think it's white from the bench flour (?).  I actually haven't had a real PJ pizza in probablly 10 years, so I don't know if theirs look darker than that, but it seems really white to me.

I would lift the pizza to a higher oven rack position for about 30 seconds to a minute or so toward the end of the bake. There should be plenty enough residual sugars in the dough to contribute to final crust coloration. It's possible that too much of the bake time was devoted trying to bake the pizza with all of the wet toppings rather than the crust.

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
thanks pete, i'll give that a try next time!   :)

Offline BardParker

« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
I would lift the pizza to a higher oven rack position for about 30 seconds to a minute or so toward the end of the bake. There should be plenty enough residual sugars in the dough to contribute to final crust coloration. It's possible that too much of the bake time was devoted trying to bake the pizza with all of the wet toppings rather than the crust.

Peter

I bake mine on a stone - A 18" floor tile I cut to fit my oven. $3.50 @ home Depot.  My oven has 3 convection modes.  I cook the pizza in the normal bake mode, lower rack, until almost complete, then in the last 2 minutes or so I check the top for coloration and if needed I hit the blower - convection mode - instead of moving it to a higher rack.  This method works well.  If I forget to reset the mode to normal bake the next pizza top will brown over in the first 4-5 minutes (convection @ 550f).

Brent

buceriasdon

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
I frequently recommend this recipe to newcomers on the fact that so many people have experienced such success with it, but moreover it shows the effort that Peter put into it to create a workflow process that works extremely well for people. However, I have an admission to make, this is the first time I have used the formula with some minor adjustments myself. :-[ It is also the first time I started the bake with a screen and used a normal temperature of 550F. ??? I felt I thinned the center a bit too much, leaving too much in the rim and need to adjust my technique to compensate, but outside of that, a wonderful recipe that I will continue to recommend. I used agave syrup and a same day dough. Ham with caribe chile. This may be the recipe for Donaldo's Pizza.
Don