Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 278412 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
For those who are interested, one of our members, ChrisG, came up with an impressive whole-wheat flour blend version of the basic PJ clone pizza using a modification of the Papa John's clone dough formulation originally posted in Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg58197.html#msg58197. Chris's whole-wheat version and his preparation methods can be seen at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16762.msg163418.html#msg163418.

Peter

Offline BardParker

« Reply #351 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Quick question,

I just made my 12th batch of the Pete-zza clone pizza.  Today I made the 2 day clone, mixed 2 days ago, set out to rise about 2 hrs before opening up.  I use as close a technique as I have seen on youtube.  I create a rim then press it outwards in a radial circumferential pattern until it is 8-10" diameter. 

Ocassionally I get a transparent bubble on the rim , or routinely a 2-3cm bubble at the center where the dough has not yet been pressed down.  I usually just pat the bubble firmly to decompress it.  Then dock the dough and finish with hand tossing.

Are these bubbles normal?  Is it correct to pat them down? Am I letting it rise too long?

When I cook it I usually get 2-4 rim bubbles and I fork them down at 2 minutes or so.

Brent ???

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #352 on: December 24, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
Quick question,

I just made my 12th batch of the Pete-zza clone pizza.  Today I made the 2 day clone, mixed 2 days ago, set out to rise about 2 hrs before opening up.  I use as close a technique as I have seen on youtube.  I create a rim then press it outwards in a radial circumferential pattern until it is 8-10" diameter. 

Ocassionally I get a transparent bubble on the rim , or routinely a 2-3cm bubble at the center where the dough has not yet been pressed down.  I usually just pat the bubble firmly to decompress it.  Then dock the dough and finish with hand tossing.

Are these bubbles normal?  Is it correct to pat them down? Am I letting it rise too long?

When I cook it I usually get 2-4 rim bubbles and I fork them down at 2 minutes or so.

if you are getting bubbles youre doing your pre-stretch right. pop them when they crust, before saucing.

Brent ???
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline ggrashow

« Reply #353 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
Just made (2) fiery Hawaiian pizzas using the PJ Clone dough fermented for (9) days. I usually use the dough from day 4 to day 6, but this time it was still unused as of day 9.   The dough was mixed in an old hand mixer. I'm still using 4 TBSP of vital wheat gluten in the blend for a double batch along with KA Sir Lancelot flour.  The dough was kept undisturbed in a separate refrigerated drawer at 36° F.  The results were fantastic.  The rim was light and wonderful and the dough stood up to all the ingredients very well.  I used fresh mozzarella prepped using an egg slicer.  My 14" pans have 1/4" holes .  They are not really screens, but they give great results.  The crust is beautifully browned.  After 6 minutes at 525° F, I move them up to the top rack for another 3-4 minutes.  I have a great stone, but with the pans there is no need to preheat the stone and the crust comes out perfect.  Sometime, I'll figure out how to include photos with my post.  Thanks for a fiery idea...............Gary from New Hampshire

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Made the fiery hawaiian tonight, using Pete's 2 day dough and 6-in-1 PJ clone recipe.  Roasted my own red peppers even.  Turned out OK, but it was VERY wet which made the curst a soggy mess once I cut it.  My peppers were quite wet, should have drained them better.  I drained the pineapple, but think they must have let out some water too.  Anyhow, here are some pics:

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #355 on: January 08, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
^^Is there any way I can get a darker rim on that pie?  I think it's white from the bench flour (?).  I actually haven't had a real PJ pizza in probablly 10 years, so I don't know if theirs look darker than that, but it seems really white to me.  thanks!   :chef:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #356 on: January 08, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
^^Is there any way I can get a darker rim on that pie?  I think it's white from the bench flour (?).  I actually haven't had a real PJ pizza in probablly 10 years, so I don't know if theirs look darker than that, but it seems really white to me.

I would lift the pizza to a higher oven rack position for about 30 seconds to a minute or so toward the end of the bake. There should be plenty enough residual sugars in the dough to contribute to final crust coloration. It's possible that too much of the bake time was devoted trying to bake the pizza with all of the wet toppings rather than the crust.

Peter

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #357 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
thanks pete, i'll give that a try next time!   :)

Offline BardParker

« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
I would lift the pizza to a higher oven rack position for about 30 seconds to a minute or so toward the end of the bake. There should be plenty enough residual sugars in the dough to contribute to final crust coloration. It's possible that too much of the bake time was devoted trying to bake the pizza with all of the wet toppings rather than the crust.

Peter

I bake mine on a stone - A 18" floor tile I cut to fit my oven. $3.50 @ home Depot.  My oven has 3 convection modes.  I cook the pizza in the normal bake mode, lower rack, until almost complete, then in the last 2 minutes or so I check the top for coloration and if needed I hit the blower - convection mode - instead of moving it to a higher rack.  This method works well.  If I forget to reset the mode to normal bake the next pizza top will brown over in the first 4-5 minutes (convection @ 550f).

Brent

buceriasdon

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
I frequently recommend this recipe to newcomers on the fact that so many people have experienced such success with it, but moreover it shows the effort that Peter put into it to create a workflow process that works extremely well for people. However, I have an admission to make, this is the first time I have used the formula with some minor adjustments myself. :-[ It is also the first time I started the bake with a screen and used a normal temperature of 550F. ??? I felt I thinned the center a bit too much, leaving too much in the rim and need to adjust my technique to compensate, but outside of that, a wonderful recipe that I will continue to recommend. I used agave syrup and a same day dough. Ham with caribe chile. This may be the recipe for Donaldo's Pizza.
Don

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #360 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
excellent as always, don!  that looks amazing!  why isn't there a "drooling" emoticon on these forums haha!  

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #361 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
Don,

Very nice looking pie!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks to you both. ;D Interesting that it looks just like my other photos of pizzas using only flour,water, salt and yeast. I'm going to do a couple day cold ferment in the next couple days and bake in my Hamilton Beach counter top oven which goes to 450F. on the dial and see if I can get less charring.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks to you both. ;D Interesting that it looks just like my other photos of pizzas using only flour,water, salt and yeast. I'm going to do a couple day cold ferment in the next couple days and bake in my Hamilton Beach counter top oven which goes to 450F. on the dial and see if I can get less charring.
Don

Don,

What kind of oven are you going to use at Donaldo’s pizza?  Was this the best formula you tried for the best tasting pizza so far?

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
Norma, I'm looking to order this one this coming week:
 http://www.ruvamex.com/es/hornos/hornos-para-pizza?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=11
It's temp as is, 572F. 300 Celsius tops. I will also have to order screens, they don't carry many in stock at the restaurant supply stores here. I have tried a couple other recipes and will continue to try some more, but at this place in time I think Mexicans will like this one best. I have no interest in baking artisan pizza, quite frankly there is no market here for such and it hardly makes sense to go that direction only to have customers squirt ketchup over them. To counteract my adversion to ketchup on my pizza the plan is to make my own umami style ketchup such as :      http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/spicy-umami-ketchup-recipe.html
Don

Don,

What kind of oven are you going to use at Donaldo’s pizza?  Was this the best formula you tried for the best tasting pizza so far?

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
I frequently recommend this recipe to newcomers on the fact that so many people have experienced such success with it, but moreover it shows the effort that Peter put into it to create a workflow process that works extremely well for people. However, I have an admission to make, this is the first time I have used the formula with some minor adjustments myself. :-[ It is also the first time I started the bake with a screen and used a normal temperature of 550F. ??? I felt I thinned the center a bit too much, leaving too much in the rim and need to adjust my technique to compensate, but outside of that, a wonderful recipe that I will continue to recommend. I used agave syrup and a same day dough. Ham with caribe chile. This may be the recipe for Donaldo's Pizza.
Don

Don,

What a pleasant surprise!! With all your pizza making skills and creativity, and your knowledge of oven technology and the like, I would have never thought to see you on this thread investigating chain pizza. However, you did a nice job with your "emergency" PJ clone pizza using ingredients indigenous to your part of Mexico.

I wish you well with your new venture, no matter what dough recipe you decide to settle on.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Norma, I'm looking to order this one this coming week:
 http://www.ruvamex.com/es/hornos/hornos-para-pizza?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=11
It's temp as is, 572F. 300 Celsius tops. I will also have to order screens, they don't carry many in stock at the restaurant supply stores here. I have tried a couple other recipes and will continue to try some more, but at this place in time I think Mexicans will like this one best. I have no interest in baking artisan pizza, quite frankly there is no market here for such and it hardly makes sense to go that direction only to have customers squirt ketchup over them. To counteract my adversion to ketchup on my pizza the plan is to make my own umami style ketchup such as :      http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/spicy-umami-ketchup-recipe.html
Don

Don,

What a nice oven your are looking at this week!  :) I can understand there wouldn’t be a market for artisan looking pizzas in Mexico.  I agree, it would make no sense to go the artisan route with customers squirting ketchup on them.  :o Your own umami style ketchup sounds very good.  Thanks for sharing the unami recipe.  I might have to borrow that someone and also give it a try.

Best of luck and success in your venture!  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »
Peter, As you may know Papa John's has a presence in the larger cities in Mexico, locally the big players are Tower and Dominoes, both having an definite edge as they deliver. A link :  http://papajohnsciudaddemexico.com/menu.php    I feel it's important to have a recipe that can be produced by others, not just myself, hence the screens and a deck oven designed to work best with screens. The Papa John's clone you created has very good browning characteristics at lower temps which is also important.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I suppose that some may consider the following excerpt on chain pizza from the latest Harris Poll as an example of a case of the best home in a lousy neighborhood  ;D:

Papa John’s Pizza takes Top Spot for First Time
For the first time in the eight years the Harris Poll EquiTrend has been measuring brand equity for Retail Pizza brands, Pizza Hut has not taken the top slot. For 2012, Papa John’s is the Harris Poll EquiTrend Pizza Brand of the Year. While many consumers are not as familiar with Papa John’s as with Pizza Hut or Domino’s, the brand’s quality scores have been strong for many years. But 2012 marks the first year that consumers say they are more likely to purchase pizza from Papa John’s than from Pizza Hut.

Peter

Offline Alligator

« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Wow Pete-zza.  Thank you for all the work and background information you put into this. :chef:
I am going to have to give this one a try! 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
Wow Pete-zza.  Thank you for all the work and background information you put into this. :chef:
I am going to have to give this one a try! 

Alligator,

You actually saw the abbreviated version of what I originally wrote on the subject. I left a lot on the cutting room floor.

Good luck if you give one of the recipes a go.

Peter

Offline clones2

« Reply #371 on: June 02, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Pete-zza - spent a good 2 hours reading through this entire 19 page thread yesterday. :-)  Amazing work.

I'm just finished 2 dough balls using your 2 day clone recipe, reply #20 I believe it was.  It's saturday morning, and I'll need this Sunday night...  So I left all ingredients the same... but upped the yeast to 1 tsp, and used ADY vs IDY.  Water was probably about 70 degrees as well.

Hoping this doesn't change the characteristics too much.  Thanks.  I'll try to post some pics when it's done.

Offline clones2

« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-R0zYSuSU-T8/T8vs1IdXV4I/AAAAAAAAAD0/2HJanxKg78s/s400/SAM_0211.JPG

Best pizza I have ever made at home.  Many bites exactly like Papa Johns.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #373 on: June 03, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
clones2,

Congratulations. You aced it.

Peter

Offline clones2

« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
Peter - YOU aced it!  I followed your ingredients... :-)

For reference - I used a pizza stone on the lowest rack at 500 degrees.  Went about 10 minutes.  Crust got a nice dark golden brown right as the cheese was getting done. 

I would not change a thing from this dough list and the pizza sauce for a Papa Johns clone.