Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 212050 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #360 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
excellent as always, don!  that looks amazing!  why isn't there a "drooling" emoticon on these forums haha!  

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #361 on: February 04, 2012, 09:14:58 PM »
Don,

Very nice looking pie!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Thanks to you both. ;D Interesting that it looks just like my other photos of pizzas using only flour,water, salt and yeast. I'm going to do a couple day cold ferment in the next couple days and bake in my Hamilton Beach counter top oven which goes to 450F. on the dial and see if I can get less charring.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks to you both. ;D Interesting that it looks just like my other photos of pizzas using only flour,water, salt and yeast. I'm going to do a couple day cold ferment in the next couple days and bake in my Hamilton Beach counter top oven which goes to 450F. on the dial and see if I can get less charring.
Don

Don,

What kind of oven are you going to use at Donaldo’s pizza?  Was this the best formula you tried for the best tasting pizza so far?

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
Norma, I'm looking to order this one this coming week:
 http://www.ruvamex.com/es/hornos/hornos-para-pizza?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=11
It's temp as is, 572F. 300 Celsius tops. I will also have to order screens, they don't carry many in stock at the restaurant supply stores here. I have tried a couple other recipes and will continue to try some more, but at this place in time I think Mexicans will like this one best. I have no interest in baking artisan pizza, quite frankly there is no market here for such and it hardly makes sense to go that direction only to have customers squirt ketchup over them. To counteract my adversion to ketchup on my pizza the plan is to make my own umami style ketchup such as :      http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/spicy-umami-ketchup-recipe.html
Don

Don,

What kind of oven are you going to use at Donaldo’s pizza?  Was this the best formula you tried for the best tasting pizza so far?

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
I frequently recommend this recipe to newcomers on the fact that so many people have experienced such success with it, but moreover it shows the effort that Peter put into it to create a workflow process that works extremely well for people. However, I have an admission to make, this is the first time I have used the formula with some minor adjustments myself. :-[ It is also the first time I started the bake with a screen and used a normal temperature of 550F. ??? I felt I thinned the center a bit too much, leaving too much in the rim and need to adjust my technique to compensate, but outside of that, a wonderful recipe that I will continue to recommend. I used agave syrup and a same day dough. Ham with caribe chile. This may be the recipe for Donaldo's Pizza.
Don

Don,

What a pleasant surprise!! With all your pizza making skills and creativity, and your knowledge of oven technology and the like, I would have never thought to see you on this thread investigating chain pizza. However, you did a nice job with your "emergency" PJ clone pizza using ingredients indigenous to your part of Mexico.

I wish you well with your new venture, no matter what dough recipe you decide to settle on.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Norma, I'm looking to order this one this coming week:
 http://www.ruvamex.com/es/hornos/hornos-para-pizza?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=82&category_id=11
It's temp as is, 572F. 300 Celsius tops. I will also have to order screens, they don't carry many in stock at the restaurant supply stores here. I have tried a couple other recipes and will continue to try some more, but at this place in time I think Mexicans will like this one best. I have no interest in baking artisan pizza, quite frankly there is no market here for such and it hardly makes sense to go that direction only to have customers squirt ketchup over them. To counteract my adversion to ketchup on my pizza the plan is to make my own umami style ketchup such as :      http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/09/spicy-umami-ketchup-recipe.html
Don

Don,

What a nice oven your are looking at this week!  :) I can understand there wouldn’t be a market for artisan looking pizzas in Mexico.  I agree, it would make no sense to go the artisan route with customers squirting ketchup on them.  :o Your own umami style ketchup sounds very good.  Thanks for sharing the unami recipe.  I might have to borrow that someone and also give it a try.

Best of luck and success in your venture!  :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #367 on: February 06, 2012, 02:27:42 PM »
Peter, As you may know Papa John's has a presence in the larger cities in Mexico, locally the big players are Tower and Dominoes, both having an definite edge as they deliver. A link :  http://papajohnsciudaddemexico.com/menu.php    I feel it's important to have a recipe that can be produced by others, not just myself, hence the screens and a deck oven designed to work best with screens. The Papa John's clone you created has very good browning characteristics at lower temps which is also important.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
I suppose that some may consider the following excerpt on chain pizza from the latest Harris Poll as an example of a case of the best home in a lousy neighborhood  ;D:

Papa John’s Pizza takes Top Spot for First Time
For the first time in the eight years the Harris Poll EquiTrend has been measuring brand equity for Retail Pizza brands, Pizza Hut has not taken the top slot. For 2012, Papa John’s is the Harris Poll EquiTrend Pizza Brand of the Year. While many consumers are not as familiar with Papa John’s as with Pizza Hut or Domino’s, the brand’s quality scores have been strong for many years. But 2012 marks the first year that consumers say they are more likely to purchase pizza from Papa John’s than from Pizza Hut.

Peter

Offline Alligator

« Reply #369 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Wow Pete-zza.  Thank you for all the work and background information you put into this. :chef:
I am going to have to give this one a try! 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #370 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48:35 PM »
Wow Pete-zza.  Thank you for all the work and background information you put into this. :chef:
I am going to have to give this one a try! 

Alligator,

You actually saw the abbreviated version of what I originally wrote on the subject. I left a lot on the cutting room floor.

Good luck if you give one of the recipes a go.

Peter

Offline clones2

« Reply #371 on: June 02, 2012, 11:42:32 AM »
Pete-zza - spent a good 2 hours reading through this entire 19 page thread yesterday. :-)  Amazing work.

I'm just finished 2 dough balls using your 2 day clone recipe, reply #20 I believe it was.  It's saturday morning, and I'll need this Sunday night...  So I left all ingredients the same... but upped the yeast to 1 tsp, and used ADY vs IDY.  Water was probably about 70 degrees as well.

Hoping this doesn't change the characteristics too much.  Thanks.  I'll try to post some pics when it's done.

Offline clones2

« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2012, 07:12:57 PM »
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-R0zYSuSU-T8/T8vs1IdXV4I/AAAAAAAAAD0/2HJanxKg78s/s400/SAM_0211.JPG

Best pizza I have ever made at home.  Many bites exactly like Papa Johns.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #373 on: June 03, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
clones2,

Congratulations. You aced it.

Peter

Offline clones2

« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
Peter - YOU aced it!  I followed your ingredients... :-)

For reference - I used a pizza stone on the lowest rack at 500 degrees.  Went about 10 minutes.  Crust got a nice dark golden brown right as the cheese was getting done. 

I would not change a thing from this dough list and the pizza sauce for a Papa Johns clone.

Offline z3r01

« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
here is my take at it :D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCy1yA68UZg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCy1yA68UZg</a>
(http://s14.postimage.org/lpfpl0f9t/z3r01.jpg)

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #376 on: October 20, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
^lol awesome video dude!   :-D.

Offline jsflagg

Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza FINALLY HOMEMADE PIZZA SUCCESS
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
I joined this board b/c my homemade pizza has basically sucked in the past.  After finding this forum I thought I would start my adventures in pizza making using Pete-zza's PJ clone.  I used his 24hr rise recipe as found in reply #31 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.20.html

I attempted this recipe twice.  However, my first attempt was good but lackluster and I knew I was on to something but wanted to try again.  So, I did.  My second attempt was excellent (at least in my opinion).  My wife, my kids and I all agreed that it was the best homemade pizza we have ever had and was as good or better than most take out pizza we normally get.  I did modify the above recipe to make 2 12" pizzas instead of one 14" as follows (I rounded)

KABF(100%)    |550g
Water(56%)     |308g
IDY(0.40%)      |2.2g       ++Fleischmann's BreadMachine
Salt(1.5%)        |8.25g    ++Morton's Fine Sea Salt
Veg Oil(7.3%)   |40.1g    ++Used Safflower oil (only oil I had)
Sugar(4.2%)    |23.1g

I followed his directions to make and cook the pizzas as found in his post mentioned above.  The sauce I used was Pete-zza's PJ clone sauce as found in reply 31 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6633.msg59208.html#msg59208

I used Cento Tomato puree for my tomatoes.  Here are my results:

Offline jsflagg

« Reply #378 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
More Pics:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:12:44 PM by jsflagg »

Offline jsflagg

« Reply #379 on: October 22, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
Some added notes.  I cooked these directly on a pizza stone.  The surface temp of the stone was approximately 501F when I placed the first pizza.  I launched them with a pizza peel that I acquired from my parents yesterday.  It has a rough surface so I covered it with parchment paper as shown below.  It launched the pizzas perfectly.   I used TendaBake, Yellow Self-rising Corn Meal Mix as my dusting agent/peel lubricant.  Thanks Pete-zza for your wonderful posts and detailed recipes/instructions.  I look forward to expanding my pizza horizons!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:20:48 PM by jsflagg »