Author Topic: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza  (Read 195933 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
Norma,

As pythonic (Nate) noted at Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258374.html#msg258374, he felt that the clones of the PJ Cheesesticks that he made were "the closest clone of any restaurant food I have ever made". However, I believe he used a slightly different formulation with less yeast and a short fermentation window, along the lines of the cheesesticks he described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258088.html#msg258088 using the original PJ clone formulation. The "faster" version of the PJ clone Cheesesticks that Nate made using my suggested modified PJ clone dough formulation as a starting point are shown in Reply 25 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258355.html#msg258355.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:49:10 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
I would be interested in playing around to see if I could make a credible clone of the PJ Garlic sauce...
Norma,

If you are able to achieve that, a monument will be erected in your honor, and people will throw roses and bow to their knees in your presence.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2013, 01:25:14 PM »
Norma,

As pythonic (Nate) noted at Reply 29 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258374.html#msg258374, he felt that the clones of the PJ Cheesesticks that he made were "the closest clone of any restaurant food I have ever made". However, I believe he used a slightly different formulation with less yeast and a short fermentation window, along the lines of the cheesesticks he described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258088.html#msg258088 using the original PJ clone formulation. The "faster" version of the PJ clone Cheesesticks that Nate made using my suggested modified PJ clone dough formulation as a starting point are shown in Reply 25 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg258355.html#msg258355.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the links to where you and Nate posted.   

Norma,

If you are able to achieve that, a monument will be erected in your honor, and people will throw roses and bow to their knees in your presence.

Peter

Lol, I sure don't need what you posted, but would be interested in seeing if a PJ Garlic Sauce clone could be made.  I have to go near a Papa John's tomorrow, so I will see if I can purchase the Cheesesticks and some PJ Garlic sauce.  I also am thinking about myself in this endeavor.  :-D If I am successful I might offer both at market.  I don't recall that I ever tasted the PJ Cheesesticks or PJ Garlic sauce. 

I know you have researched what goes into the PJ Garlic Sauce, so I shouldn't have too do much work to see if it can be done. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
All Hail to Mighty Norma...Goddess of Garlic sauce !!   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
All Hail to Mighty Norma...Goddess of Garlic sauce !!   :drool:

Lol Bob,

I don't want any of that stuff.  I just like to play around as you already know.  I sure don't know if I will be successful either.  That is to be seen.  I had my share of flops.   :-D

Norma

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
Norma,

These should sell nicely.  Here is the finalized dough recipe for the 12' round CheeseSticks.  I ended up reducing the thickness of the dough again because it still was a little bit thick.

227g hi gluten flour - 100%
127g water - 56%
.1 tsp IDY - .16%
4.31g salt - 1.9%
12.48g vegetable oil - 5.5%
13.37g sugar - 5.89%

Nate

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:40:22 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:12 PM »
Norma,

These should sell nicely.  Here is the finalized dough recipe for the 12' round CheeseSticks.  I ended up reducing the thickness of the dough again because it still was a little bit thick.

127g water - 56%
.1 tsp IDY - .16%
4.31g salt - 1.9%
13.37g sugar - 5.89%

Nate

Nate,

Thanks so much for the finalized dough recipe for the 12" round cheesesticks.  ;) I appreciate your help very much!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »
Peter,

I went to Papa John's later this evening and purchased the side of the cheesesticks and some little tubs of the garlic sauce.  I also asked and took photos at Papa John's of the shift manager making the cheesesticks and some pizzas, so I could actually watch the shift manager make the cheesesticks.   I then went to the Giant supermarket, and forgot to take the print of what kind of product to try for the garlic sauce.  I could not see the photo of what the Parkay Original Squeeze margarine product looked like when you produced the link at http://www.hannaford.com/product/Parkay-Squeeze-Margarine/711225.uts  and for Nate at Reply 50 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25603.msg259010.html#msg259010  because a pop-up came up to fill in.  I don't know if I purchased the right Parkay product at Giant, but it doesn't say original and just says Parkay Squeeze.  I didn't see any Parkay product at Giant that said Original.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #448 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
Norma,

127g water - 56%
.1 tsp IDY - .16%
4.31g salt - 1.9%
13.37g sugar - 5.89%

Nate
Ah yes...the "ol switch er-rooo"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #449 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
Norma,

I had to resort to the Hannaford website because the Parkay website does not list the ingredients in their products, only the Nutrition Facts. Apparently retailers like Hannaford and Walmart and Shoprite require the ingredients lists and that is where they can usually be found. In the case of the Hannaford website, I didn't need to see the Parkay container since I already knew what it looked like. However, I found that if you enter a location where Hannaford has a store, the pop-up you mentioned will disappear. I entered Massachusetts, where I knew Hannaford had several stores, and the pop-up disappeared.

If you'd like, you can see a photo of the Parkay Squeeze product at http://www.parkay.com/our-spreads.jsp .

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
Norma,

I had to resort to the Hannaford website because the Parkay website does not list the ingredients in their products, only the Nutrition Facts. Apparently retailers like Hannaford and Walmart and Shoprite require the ingredients lists and that is where they can usually be found. In the case of the Hannaford website, I didn't need to see the Parkay container since I already knew what it looked like. However, I found that if you enter a location where Hannaford has a store, the pop-up you mentioned will disappear. I entered Massachusetts, where I knew Hannaford had several stores, and the pop-up disappeared.

If you'd like, you can see a photo of the Parkay Squeeze product at http://www.parkay.com/our-spreads.jsp .

Peter

Peter,

I think I got the right Parkay Squeeze product from your last link.  I will post the photos at Papa John's and the Parkay Squeeze I purchased after I upload and resize the photos.  The shift manger at Papa John's was very interesting to talk to too.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: June 12, 2013, 11:23:35 PM »

This are the photos at Papa John's, the cheesesticks, the garlic sauce and the Parkay product I purchased.  If there are any questions just ask.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
Norma

Offline pythonic

« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2013, 11:34:42 PM »
Norma,

What did think of Papa's CheeseSticks?  I like how u took a pic right in the store when they were fresh.  They were probably thinking what in the heck is this weirdo doin? Lol

Nate
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:37:22 PM by pythonic »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:01 PM »
Norma,

What did think of Papa's CheeseSticks?

Nate

Nate,

I think they are very good, but I didn't try the garlic sauce yet, but will in a little while.  I only tasted two slices of the cheesesticks so far.  I was busy this evening picking up my one car from the place where I get my vehicles fixed.  I am giving that car to my granddaughter who's car broke down and she kept calling me when I was trying to eat some of the cheesesticks.  I found it interesting that the cheesesticks are baked just as long as Papa John's pizzas.  The shift manager had to go into the back of the store to get a smaller dough ball for the cheesesticks.

Norma 

Offline pythonic

« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
I like how u took a pic right in the store when they were fresh.  They were probably thinking what in the heck is this weirdo doin? Lol.  The CheeseSticks to me are fine with the extra dipping sauce.  It's almost overkill really.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
Norma,

I like how u took a pic right in the store when they were fresh.  They were probably thinking what in the heck is this weirdo doin? Lol

Nate

Nate,

I asked the shift manager if he minded if I took photos of how the cheesesticks are made.  I usually use my granddaughter or great-granddaughter as an excuse to say one of them likes to see how things are made.  >:D  I know I must have looked weird taking those photos, but the shift manager didn't seem to mind and no one else was at Papa John's at the time I was there.  The delivery driver was out delivering stuff.  I picked the last evening so Papa John's might not be too busy.  Since I never tried any cheesesticks, or watched how they made them at Papa John's I really wanted to see how they were made.  Watching helps me to understand more.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #458 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:12 AM »
Norma,

What did think of Papa's CheeseSticks?  I like how u took a pic right in the store when they were fresh. They were probably thinking what in the heck is this weirdo doin? Lol

Nate
More like they probably said...."That's that Norma lady from pizza making .com....jus let her do her thing man"     8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #459 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
More like they probably said...."That's that Norma lady from pizza making .com....jus let her do her thing man"     8)

Bob,

Lol, I don't think the shift manager had any idea of who I am.  What pizza place would think some old lady would try to clone one of their products.   :P

Norma