Author Topic: Experimental Oven - need dough suggestion  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Regal

Experimental Oven - need dough suggestion
« on: June 12, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
Greetings all - I've basically been a lurker here, but no more!

I've built an experimental oven that is coal fired and need suggestions for how to formulate my dough.  I'd like to cook on Suday (this being Thursday), so I have a bit of time if I need to make the dough in advance for an extended rise.

On the first firing of the oven, the deck temperature was up to 768 F.  I only used what I would consider to be a "medium" amount of fuel, so I figure that I can probably get it up another hundred or so degrees.  Last weekend I just went to my local market and purchased a dough ball that I'd previously had good results with in my kitchen oven - so figure it was formulated for a 550 F oven.  The pizza came out nicely charred on the bottom, but no charring on the top.  I imagine that the proper dough should give better results.  I'd like to get closer to the Neapolitan style, so I figure I'd be making a classic Neapolitan style dough.

I have 10 lbs. of Tipo Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour just waiting to go... and I also have 10 lbs. of KASL to play around with.... I figure I can have up to 65 hours of fermentation time before I need to cook.

I will just be using Fleishman's Dry Yeast. 

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but this site is so big that it's hard for me to find.

Offline Regal

Re: Experimental Oven - need dough suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »
I should also mention that I have a MyWeigh digital scale and a KA5 mixer with a dough hook... can't use the spiral  >:(

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »
Regal,

With those flours I would go with an 80-20 mix of Caputo/KASL. That would give me a soft but slightly chewy crust using a sourdough starter. I assume IDY/ADY would be similar. That is all personal preference. I actually prefer all Caputo, family does not agree with me.

HOWEVER, I/we don't know anything about your oven. Show some pics or describe it. How does the temperature above the pizza work? Is it 200 degrees hotter or ??? It might be that since it is not a traditional oven and therefore you are not charring on top because of a lack of enough heat above.

PNW

Offline Regal

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:08:53 PM »
Hi PNW -

Thanks for the reply.  It's similar to a 2 stone, but it doesn't spin.  I like the idea of using a blend of the two flours.  Is there somewhere on the board that would give me a good "basic" recipe and technique to follow?  I know the four basic ingredients and can use the dough calculator, but I'm wondering about mixing time, resting, proofing, etc. - and how to use a sourdough if I decided to go that way.  My father-in-law just got in town and he brought a sourdough mother start for me.  It was fed just a few days ago and is ready to go.  He feeds it with all purpose flour though, so I'm not sure that it's ultimately the one that I want to use in my pizza doughs. 

I realize that I haven't been hot enough yet to try for a true Neapolitan style dough... so a hybrid, or NY style would probably suit the oven better.

Thanks! 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:04:33 PM »
One of the moderators on this board, Bill made this youtube video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQd38yoND0g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQd38yoND0g</a>

It is a great starting point.

I generally use a Caputo/Bf mix with approx 60+% hydration. I mix 75% of the flour with the Kitchenaid paddle and all the water for 30 seconds or so to get it all wet. Let it sit covered for 20 minutes, then I add my starter which is very active and about 5%. I mix this with the hook for 6 minutes usually on slow speed while adding the rest of the flour - saving a few spoonfuls for the board. Towards the end, maybe 5 minutes in I will add the salt 2.5-3% or so. Many feel that the adding of the salt can be done at the beginning, I however note how it tightens up the dough when added and it impedes the mixing process somewhat. I can clearly see that when making bread dough, so I like to wait till the end. Try it both ways and see if it makes a difference for you. I now let the dough rest 20 minutes and then put it on a floured board and do a stretch and letter fold. Usually I will repeat this 2 more times at 20 minute intervals. Then I put it into a Cambro plastic container and let it sit in a 64 degree basement room for 18 hours or so. I look to see how it has developed and if it has expanded a lot, 150% or more then I portion it out and use it within a few hours or refrigerate it. You pretty much have to learn all this by doing it and tasting the results. I find I can keep those dough-balls for several days in the fridge.

I have also mixed for longer in the KA and not done the stretch and fold, maybe 10 minutes in total. Truthfully not sure it matters in pizza dough. Whereas in bread the stretch/fold leaves a noticeable open crumb structure.

Good luck with it - take pictures and show them off. I would be curious to see your "oven".

PNW