Author Topic: Feta cheese  (Read 1928 times)

Offline zalicious

Feta cheese
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
I bought some sheep's milk feta from the Italian deli ( really strong & stinky :-D) that I need to use up. My husband says that when I cook pizza with it, it stinks up the kitchen. I just tell him to 'shaddup you face' or don't eat it then.
Any suggestions on killer ingredients to go with the feta?

Offline zalicious

Re: Feta cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
Well, last night I used up some of the STRONG feta. I fried some potatoes with green pepper & onion, which went over a layer of mozz; added a little pepperoni,
( Hubby likes  meat ) & topped with a sprinkling of the feta. He loved it, although he still commented about the smell :P.
Any suggestions on what would go well with the remaining feta? I'm thinking perhaps some marinated chicken? I've got enough for about 2-3 more pizzas. It's too strong to toss in a salad.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
Feta, ripe salmonella-free tomato, oregano, olive oil and a dash of red wine vinegar makes a great greek salad. Toss in a few olives as well

PNW

Offline Fingerstyle

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 04:39:07 PM »
One of my fave creations  is mushroom, onion, spinach, feta, with slivered (think fingernail paring size) bits of jabanero chilli (no seeds!)  with a squirt of lemon or vinaigrette just before serving. >:D

Vic

Well, last night I used up some of the STRONG feta. I fried some potatoes with green pepper & onion, which went over a layer of mozz; added a little pepperoni,
( Hubby likes  meat ) & topped with a sprinkling of the feta. He loved it, although he still commented about the smell :P.
Any suggestions on what would go well with the remaining feta? I'm thinking perhaps some marinated chicken? I've got enough for about 2-3 more pizzas. It's too strong to toss in a salad.
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
I like to marinate a pork tenderloin w/ fresh lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper-grill slice thin and serve on a grilled pita w/ feta. Make some tzaziki too- I had it last night-it's a favorite.

Also Bobby Flay's green onion feta dip is super good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30812,00.html

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline zalicious

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
Great ideas, guys. Thanks so much :).