Author Topic: 100% Provolone  (Read 1986 times)

Offline marcvanh

100% Provolone
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:32 PM »
I just had a very delicious pizza, and was able to have a drink with the owner a bit later. I told him his cheese was very good and he said it was provolone. I asked him what % of it was provolone, and he said "it's all provolone".

I was floored - it tasted just like mozzarella to me. It was amazing.

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying my hand at making an all-provolone pizza and was wondering if anyone else does this and/or if they have any brand recommendations.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: 100% Provolone
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:28:51 PM »
You would love the pizza in pittsburgh.  Most of the highest rated pizzerias there use 100 percent provolone. They have some excellent flavorful brands distributed to pizzerias in the area that taste like high quality mozzarella.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 11:22:57 AM by scott r »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:13:10 PM »
Provolone is a good alternative to Mozzarella, although a little pricey. Here in CA I saw Provolone for $10/lb.

I almost had a heart attack earlier, though, while shopping for some Locatelli Parmigiana Reggiano - my favorite brand. Safeway wanted between $12 - $15 for a medium-sized wedge. A couple of weeks ago it was still in the $5 - $8 range!

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
I just puchased the 50 / 50 blend mozz and prov. from penn mac. I will advise how they come out this weekend. I usually do a combo of 25% shredded whole fresh. mozz. , 25% store italian blend ( has some provy), 50% whole mlk mozz. sprinkle of parm., and 5%  cheddar nice touch and looks cool too! Its so fun to experiment. Dont forget the Goat cheese and asparagus 1st to go every time!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com