Author Topic: 00 flour or 'very strong white flour' in supermarket?  (Read 9936 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 00 flour or 'very strong white flour' in supermarket?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
While I was in the supermarket today, I checked a few brands of BBQ sauce to see if any had a composition such as the one used in the UK by Domino's for its Texas BBQ pizza and listed in Reply 10 above, specifically:

Barbecue Sauce (high fructose corn syrup, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, salt, modified food starch, spices, mustard bran, natural flavouring, onion and garlic powder, colour, lemon juice, preservative (E211)).

I found three major U.S. brands, plus one house brand, that had a similar list of ingredients, including KC Masterpiece, Bulls-Eye and Kraft's--all basic varieties of the BBQ sauce (i.e., not honey or mesquite or other special version). One difference I noted is that the high fructose corn syrup was not the first ingredient in the list. The tomato paste/puree was first. Another brand used sugar in lieu of high fructose corn syrup and even proudly proclaimed on the label that no high fructose corn syrup was used. This change no doubt was to allay the concerns of consumers over what is perceived to be excessive use of high fructose corn syrup in food products. I noticed another product recently that said on the packaging that no high fructose corn syrup was used. I suspect we will see more of this sort of thing.

Peter

Offline paulhdi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »
hi peter,

i checked the mesh thing and it is a screen of sorts, meant for cooking, and they do a round version, so will be ordering one this week.

as for the pizza, i left it in the fridge overnight, and let is come to room temp for about 3 hours. I shaped the dough into a rectangle, so it fitted the screen. I noticed it started to shrink slightly as i stretched it, but it did stay at the required shape after a few min.

Gave it a light rubbing of some BBQ sauce from costco, some sliced mushrooms, and some chicken breast i marinated in the BBQ sauce and grilled this morning, along the some shredded mozarella.

Cooked at 260C near the bottom of the oven for about 8 or 9 min, and i must say, i was impressed! lol

Did take a pic, although i need to download it off the phone in the morning. Lets just say there's one slice left, so it got a big thumbs up from family and girlfriend, who i think were expecting a cardboard pizza of sorts lol

Now i just need to get a few more packs of the flour to continue my experimentation lol

Tomorrow I'm gonna be trying your clone recipe peter, and make it later this week.

Paul :pizza: :chef: :pizza: ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:53:06 PM by paulhdi »

Offline Arj

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 09:39:04 AM »
You must know a thing....the "power" of a flour depends from protein, or gluten....the gluten make a sort of woven( in italian is tessuto, or a sort of net) that catch the fermentation gasses into it.

More strong is the flour, more time you need to wait for work the dough.....with a weak flour the yeast is more faster, because the "gluten-net" (forgive me but my english is horrible ;D) is weaker, but a very strong flour make you wait even for 12/16 hours....

Arj

pizzapan