Author Topic: Where else to go while in Phoenix?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Where else to go while in Phoenix?
« on: June 22, 2008, 04:57:51 AM »
Anyone know where else I should check out other than the obvious Pizzeria and Pane Bianco???
Patrick

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Where else to go while in Phoenix?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
I found the phoenix/scottsdale area to have killer sushi and mexican food.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »
Trying to get the lowdown from the locals ;) I already visited Pane Biaco  ;D    I was very happy to see that Chris was there.  It absolutely met all of my high expectations.  I'm going to try a place I read about in the new times "Pizza A Metro"   Both closed on Mondays like many good restaurants ;)  Tried a random place from doing some google search that was OK, called Pizza a Napoli.  Just a regular NY slice joint basically.  However this may be more difficult to find in Phoenix than NJ, that is, homemade dough, hand stretched and baked on a deck, is probably not the norm here.  I would not particularly recommend it but I am not getting a ton of feedback so I figured I'd just have to guess and find out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:16:42 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline speedy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
I haven't been out there lately, but did live in Scottsdale for 7 years. If you are looking for NY slice pizza. Famous Rays was one of the more popular places. They have multiple locations across the valley. The other one for NY slice pizza that I remember was NYPD pizza. If you are looking for a cracker crust cut in squares you might give Oregano's a try in Old Town Scottsdale. Hope this helps. If all else fails as Scott R stated can't go wrong with the Mexican food out there.

-speedy

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I went to Bianco last night.  I showed up at 6pm and I did in fact have to wait a good 2.5 hours no joke.  I had a few beers at Bar Bianco but was not overly impressed with the beer which was a Four Peaks Hop Knot IPA I found a bit too bitter.   The other beer they had was a "cream" beer from Sedona that I didn't try.  I am not much of a drinker anyway...

I wish I had gone for JUST one pizza and nothing more so I could have paid better attention to the pizza.  The problem is partially my fault, but I felt I was being served food much more quickly than I could eat it.  I had the organic fresh greens salad with some bread and olive oil, and on the pizza opted for a margherita with fennel sausage and wish I had gone with simply a margherita for comparison's sake.  The closest that I can compare this to is Luzzo's.  Similar crispy outside but completely tender inside.  I ended up sitting next to another person who was also by himself and we got to talking about pizza (of course).  Told me he'd been to Bianco almost 10 times in the past few months and was into great pizza, had been to DiFara's a few times and coincidently he was from out of town also, but working a few blocks from where my company is located.  I told him to check out pizzamaking.com of course and also that I was going to be trying Pizza A Metro.  Overall experience of Bianco is that it is great food but 2.5 hours is surely a long time.    I think that, the fact that I was alone, and felt a bit rushed... I would like to try it again with my wife and be a bit more relaxed  :chef:

I am hoping Pizza a Metro is the hidden gem of Phoenix, but it has been getting a lot of talk lately.  They had an article in the New Times and all of the comments on the websites (chowhound) seem to be dated today, yesterday, this past week, etc.   I do not expect the same pizza as Bianco but also do not expect the same wait! 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 06:41:38 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »
PC,

If you're not much of a drinker but enjoy an occasional beer, try the Lagunitas IPA. Very good.

Lagunitas is actually a Microbrewery in Petaluma, CA. The Lagunitas Pilsner is one of my personal favorites, when it comes to american-brewed beer. Next to Rolling Rock, that is.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:32:31 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
Try Vito & Nicks II in Gilbert

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
I took a visit to Pizza a Metro on Wed. evening.  I showed up at around 7:30pm and the small restaurant (I would say seating for maybe 15?) was full, so I decided to take out a "regular" magherita pizza.  The owner was very nice, enthusiastic and very Italian.  I let him know I had seen the article in the New Times and it seems like that article had given him quite a boost lately. 

So I got to stand right there and watch his two confidants make the pizza.  Their Wood-Stone oven did not look like it was gas assisted but was only at 650 F.  I think it cooked in maybe 4 minutes...There was a little bit too much sauce on the pizza and I could not put my finger on what was in it.  It was a bit chunky and I think there was basil in the sauce as opposed to on top.  At 650 it definitely did NOT get that    extreme heat crispy crunch that you get at 800F+ or?   Out of respect to the pizza I decided to eat it in the car (rather than wait 10 minutes to get back to the hotel) although still it took maybe a few minutes to pay for it.  I hate these minutes between when the pizza is done and when you eat it, especially when it is sitting inside of a cardboard box, steaming itself.  As a result I got a bit of a soggy pizza.  I don't know anything about what sort of flour is used or how it is fermented, etc.  The mozzarella was fresh, cut into very tiny pieces and evenly scattered about the pizza.  I think that it has some great potential with a little tweaking and I have heard the other food is great as well.    I would go back to this place and eat in... and I would of course go back to Bianco :)

To be honest, easiest choice is to go to Pane Bianco.  No wait, but amazing food.
Patrick

Offline robert40

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »
pcampbell,
I must have been delirious from the heat last year because I left Phoenix without trying Pane Bianco. :(
Would love to hear what you tried? Also if you happened to notice the brands of some of the speciality items Chris Bianco has for sale at Pane Bianco, like tomato's, olive oil, etc etc? Thanks!