Author Topic: Looking to expand on simple pizza sauce  (Read 6563 times)

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Looking to expand on simple pizza sauce
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 05:48:54 AM »
I think we have agreement!!

Your muddled position hasn't been solidified enough in any respect to be able to agree on anything.  First it's taste buds, enhancing, intensifying, then it's nasal cavities, then it's back to chemical interactions, and who knows what comes next.

I think you misunderstood my point. I am sorry that your confusion causes you annoyance.

I didn't misunderstand anything, and I'm certainly not confused.  I understand you pulled a sentence out of the text that looked like it might serve to discredit the very reference you cited once you realized it didn't support what you initially stated, but unfortunately you didn't really know what it meant.  I thought at least the picture in the book would have helped you comprehend it.  Aqueous soluble compounds are not what we're discussing here because aqueous soluble compounds are not significantly affected by lipids, hence the reason for that statement in the book.  Lipophilic compounds are what we're discussing as they are dissolved by and interact with lipids.  In fact, lipophilic compounds are your only chance at even having an ounce of truth attributed to your statement, so you can comfortably ignore anything you read about hydrophilic (aqueous soluble) compounds.  They don't pertain to your argument.  If you still don't understand the text, you could just count the dots drawn in the picture.  Two hydrophilic dots floating in the air on both sides, but four lipophilic dots floating above the water and only one lipophilic dot floating above the water-oil mixture.  Score: water = 6, water-oil = 3.  Winner: water.

My annoyance comes solidly from the fact you posted a handful of references where it appears you didn't read beforehand or didn't quite understand.  It's one thing to cite references to defend your claim.  It's quite another to throw whatever you can find in a Google search into the discussion without a concern for correlation.  It's a waste of time and is rather insulting.  It sounds like in the end you tried to use the results of scientific work to prove science isn't worth looking at, which is just about the most absurd thing I have ever seen.  You would have been better off keeping science out of it and stated in the beginning you don't believe in the application of science in culinary arts.

I'm sorry you've wasted so much of your time trying to understand your own references, but without actually presenting facts to support your statement, your case boils down to opinion.  So you enjoy the flavor of your sauce more with oil than without oil.  This is anecdotal, but perfectly valid and acceptable.  Instead of using olive oil which is well-recognized for its flavor, why don't you try adding safflower oil instead?  If your statement holds true, you should still experience an "intensification" of the herb flavors as you described.  The funny thing is, I don't see safflower oil in a lot of sauce recipes, and no, I don't wonder why.  Commercial canners and food product manufactures use oil in their products because it helps to stabilize the flavors for a longer shelf life.  The home sauce maker does not require this.

- red.november

pizzapan