Author Topic: Philly Cheesesteak on cracker crust.....awesome....  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Jackitup

Philly Cheesesteak on cracker crust.....awesome....
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
Tonites pie turned out great. Thin sliced, grilled chuck eye, rubbed with Prep seasoning, Italian seasoning and olive oil, caramelized onions, green pepper and mushrooms, Mozz, prov and parmesan cheese on top and finished with a few pepperoni. Base was 1/2 red sauce and the other 1/2 Cheez Whiz. Crust was of a cracker crust type, thin, crunchy and bubbley. I used the following ratios. It is a bit more hydrated than other cracker styles but as you can see from the photos it was still quite dry, but rolled out very well. One thing I did do different was mix everthing in food processor til it was like course meal, except the olive oil, then let rest for 20-30 minutes and added the oil in the feed tube drizzling in slowly at the end. Total mix time was not over 1 1/2 to 2 minutes using the pulse.button. Squeezed it into a ball and set on the counter to proof for 20 hours.
Flour (100%):
Water (51%):
IDY (1%):
Salt (1.75%):
Oil (3.5%):
Sugar (1.2%):

Now it's time for a couch cramp so I can let my body turn it all to muscle???
Jon

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Jackitup1/?action=view&current=6dd0044a.pbw
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Philly Cheesesteak on cracker crust.....awesome....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 08:24:42 AM »
Jon,

The pizza sounds and looks yummy.

From what I can tell, you lowered the hydration you have used before from 60% to 51%. Did you have to warm up the dough before rolling it out, or were you able to avoid that step? I assume that otherwise the pizza was made the same way as the cracker-style pizzas you have made and reported on before (i.e, docking and pre-baking the skin, using the aluminum foil, pizza stone, etc.)

Peter

Offline Jackitup

Re: Philly Cheesesteak on cracker crust.....awesome....
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 06:32:52 AM »
Hi Pete,
Yes everything else was the same. Alway dinking around trying something different so this time was mixing everything except the oil in the food processer til it was moist and sandy looking and then the oil at the end. By doing this I think it allowed the oil to coat the particles as in a pie dough technique and allowed the dough to roll out very easily 'without having to warm it. I will try this again and see how repeatable this works. The dough did not rise noticably or expand in size, but had a very nice boozy smell when I opened the container. Both the warden and I liked it alot.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!