Author Topic: amount of toppings  (Read 8500 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: amount of toppings
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:43 PM »
November,

One of our members, Jackitup (Jon), routinely bakes his cracker-style pizzas on a sheet of aluminum foil on top of a stone (for example, see Reply 66 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49746.html#msg49746). I believe he uses that method to keep his stone in pristine condition. I would think that moisture or steam would develop between the foil and the bottom crust during baking and result in a less crispy crust. Does that make sense? Jon has a convection oven and he oils (the bottom) and pre-bakes his crusts, so maybe his crusts dry out enough to retain their crispy character. He has also been able to load up his pizzas with lots of different toppings without any apparent problem.

Peter  

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
Peter,

I would think that moisture or steam would develop between the foil and the bottom crust during baking and result in a less crispy crust. Does that make sense?

Yes.  I think pre- or par-baking is definitely the key to a crispy crust, hence my use of par-baking when I make thin and crispy pizza.  Oil will certainly fry the crust to crispiness too.

- red.november

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 10:04:30 PM »
Peter,

Yes.  I think pre- or par-baking is definitely the key to a crispy crust, hence my use of par-baking when I make thin and crispy pizza.  Oil will certainly fry the crust to crispiness too.

- red.november

Par-baking certainly helps, though I have managed to make some very crispy crusts with out it.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan