Author Topic: Homemade sausage (and pepperoni)  (Read 4396 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Homemade sausage (and pepperoni)
« on: December 03, 2004, 10:27:21 PM »
I caught Alton Brown's "Good Eats" on the Food Network the other night. The eposide was about making homemade sausage. Alton made it look so easy, just run some pork butt through a meat grinder, mix in some seasonings, and voila! Perfect homemade sausage! He made breakfast and Italian sausage on the show and it really did look easy. I also did a little surfing on the Internet to see what's involved in making dried sausages (pepperoni) and it too looks pretty easy. Same procedure, only let the sausage hang in your kitchen for 3-4 months to dry out. I found several good books on the subject and I am seriously thinking about trying my hand at homemeade sweet Italian sausage for my Chicago pizzas, and I may even try my hand at homemade pepperoni. There's a decent website for buying books and casings at http://www.sausagemaker.com. Anyone have any experience with this?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
Re:Homemade sausage (and pepperoni)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 01:13:15 AM »
I have been making my own italian sausage for some time now. However i do skip the grinding. And just purchas ground pork. I have found that i like my own sausge over most others i have tried.. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 09:19:19 AM »
Does ground pork have a high enough fat content for sausage? Most recipes that I see call for the use of pork butt with added fat back.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 12:40:06 PM »
Steve,

I sometimes make a French-Canadian pork dish called corton (also sometimes called creton).  It is more in the nature of a pate rather than a stuffing for a sausage.  If made correctly, it has a fair amount of fat it in and, hence, a lot of taste and good mouthfeel.  The last time I tried to make it, for a friend in Massachusetts who grew up on the stuff but can no longer find it in the stores, I had a hard time finding a pork product--pork shoulder or Boston butt--with enough fat to make a corton with the right amount of fat in it.  When I asked butchers at several local supermarkets why I couldn't find the high fat pork, I was told that consumer tastes now demand low fat meats and, hence, there was little or no demand for fattier meats.  The dish requires cooking the pork for several hours in water and then grinding it twice in a food grinder.  (Alternatively, you can start out with already ground pork if there is enough fat to begin with).  In my case, to salvage whatever little fat was left in the pot, I found myself refrigerating the liquids overnight and then adding the congealed fat back into the corton.  It still wasn't enough, so I added butter to the dish to further increase the fat content.  

Here in Texas, it is much easier to find the fattier pork products, because the demand for such products is high among minority groups whose cuisine is tied to such products.  Sometime when you are in a supermarket, you may want to take a look at what kind of pork products are sold in your area.  As with the corton, I suspect you will want to have a high fat pork product, or you may have to add your own fats to it.

Peter

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2004, 06:47:53 AM »
I tried making sausage from a pork butt without added fat.  It was like eating a hambuger made with ground round; very dry and crumbly.  We like the Tenn Pride hot for pizza.  Penzeys has a good spice blend for sausage.  If anybody hits on a good sausage recipe please post it if you can.

Randy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:49:40 AM by Randy »

Offline DNA Dan

Re: Homemade sausage (and pepperoni)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 11:46:04 PM »
I have recently purchased some curing and spice packages from http://www.sausagesource.com They too have a salame, pepperoni, etc., kit you can get. Just add your meat and stuff in casings.

The sweet italian sausage mix smells fantastic, although I haven't tried it yet. My father's parents used to make their own sausage all the time and my father told me you need a fair amount of fat to make a decent sausage.

I have also been experimenting with making my own smoked ham. I bought my curing agents from
http://www.butcher-packer.com/ they have a lot of good products there.

Intersting enough, they just added some "High temp melt" cheeses for use in sausages. I wonder how those would do in terms of stretch on a pizza?

BTW, I know this thread was fished out from the not too distant past, but I didn't see it necessary to add a new duplicate thread. YES PEOPLE DO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!l ol
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 11:48:30 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline zymurgymaster

• A.lpha S.ausage S.upreme
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 06:43:20 AM »
For those just starting out, here is a extremely informative web site devoted to sausage.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:46:33 PM »
All I can say is WOW. Thanks for the awesome link! tons of info and ideas. Now I have to try my own salami :o DOH!

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
Making sausage is great fun and cheap if you don't value your time for things other than food prep  :-D

sausagemaker has good equipment - I have their #10 stainless mill and use it all the time (grinding chuck for my son's hamburgers etc).

pizzapan