Author Topic: Starter versus Yeast  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Luciano

Starter versus Yeast
« on: June 09, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
I have been making Neapolitan style pizza's in my WFO for the past year with good success.  When I make my dough, I am utilizing Caputo 00, water, sea salt and ADY.  I have been keeping my hydration rate around 63% and do all my measurements by weight (grams).  I have been reading for some time now about a natural starter versus a commercial yeast.  Most of the posts I have read really state that the starter provides a nice texture and taste to the dough.

The one question I have is there any easy way to calculate how much starter to use versus yeast?  For example.........if I use 6 grams of yeast currently, what does that translate to for amount of starter required for a 4 hour rise?  Would greatly appreciate anyone's input and look forward to more posts and replies to a great forum.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Starter versus Yeast
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
Luciano,

You might take a look at Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5894.msg50534.html#msg50534. Also note the link at the bottom of the post.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:06:48 PM »
Luciano,

My starter could not do a four hour rise that would make a good pizza. I prefer at least a 18-24 hour rise @ 60 degrees or so for flavor development and a light airy crust. If I needed same day dough I would be inclined to use ADY/IDY as you are doing. I currently use anywhere from 5 -10 % of starter in my dough.

See Pete-zza's post for how to calculate.

PNW

Offline Luciano

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick replies.  The only concern I have is I am planning on purchasing a pre-mixed starter.  Would that not change the equation then?  I love the calculator, and see it as a big asset, but it seems to be tailored to making your own starter.  Any further advice?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
If you are talking about fermented treasures pre activated starters, beware.  I had a horrible experience with that company, maybe the worst customer service ever!  In the end my culture showed up old and unusable, and they would not send another or refund my money.

Pizza not war, what happened when you had trouble with a 4 hour crust and a starter.  I have done this a number of times and it is always superior to a 4 hour commercial yeasted rise.  I have always used enough starter to make sure the dough doubles within the 4 hour time frame, so I am wondering if you didn't use enough starter, or if maybe your starter was not activated properly.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:32:40 PM »
Pizza not war, what happened when you had trouble with a 4 hour crust and a starter.  I have done this a number of times and it is always superior to a 4 hour commercial yeasted rise.  I have always used enough starter to make sure the dough doubles within the 4 hour time frame, so I am wondering if you didn't use enough starter, or if maybe your starter was not activated properly.

Scott,

LOL - I plead ignorance. I most likely did not use enough starter - please tell me a good % for a 4 hour rise. As to the activation level, I have recently started honing in on the proper methods of getting it active enough for bread making and therefore moving that technique to pizza should be easy. I guess in the end, I am not sure if I need to do it so fast.

Thanks

PNW

Luciano:
King Arthur sells LA-2 & LA-4 starters as I recall. I have not used them but have read of good results with bread baking. One of the well known authors uses them - I forgot who (maybe Rose Levy Beranbaum)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:22 AM »
Scott,

LOL - I plead ignorance. I most likely did not use enough starter - please tell me a good % for a 4 hour rise. As to the activation level, I have recently started honing in on the proper methods of getting it active enough for bread making and therefore moving that technique to pizza should be easy. I guess in the end, I am not sure if I need to do it so fast.

Try about 20% with a good fast riser like the cammadoli and a decently warm room.  Good luck my friend!

pizzapan