Author Topic: Fresh Yeast. What do I do with it?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline adcouple

• I Love Pizza!
Fresh Yeast. What do I do with it?
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »
I make pizza dough rather successfully using Caputo Rosa Pizza Flour from lacuisines.com. using half Caputo, half bread flour, salt, olive oil and cold water. I turn it out on board floured with 00 flour I get locally. When I was picking up 00 flour, the owner of the store offered me a brick of fresh yeast to try. I'm game but don't know how much to use and when to add it to mixer. There is nothing written on the brick.

Any help appreciated.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Fresh Yeast. What do I do with it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
adcouple,

What kind of yeast are you now using and what quantity (by weight or volume)?

Peter

Offline adcouple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
I use 1.5 tsp. SAF regular yeast that was bought in bulk.

Thanks for help. I am eager to try this new yeast. I will portion and put in most in freezer. I have a big brick.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
adcouple,

You didn't indicate whether you are using IDY or ADY but either way you can find the appropriate conversion from the dry form to fresh yeast in the conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm. You will note that there is no conversion of the fresh yeast to volume measurements. This is mainly because of the wide variations in fresh forms of yeast (which is often age related). However, one of those little cubes of fresh yeast that can be found in some supermarkets weighs 0.6 ounces (about 17 grams) so that should give you a general idea as to the volume to use.  Fresh yeast degrades quickly so you shouldn't leave it sitting around at room temperature for any longer than necessary. You may want to do a Google search to see how the fresh yeast should be frozen. It is not the best yeast to freeze, and it doesn't last for long even when in the refrigerator compartment.

To use the fresh yeast, all that you have to do is crumble it into the flour. It's already hydrated so there is no need to rehydrate it by dissolving it in water (although some bakers do it anyway).

Peter

Offline adcouple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »
Thanks for help, Peter. I found yeast conversion table and am a little unsure about it. If I read across, does 10.2g cake yeast equal .15oz. or 1.5 tsp. of ady? Or are tey three completely different things?

I cut up some of the cake and froze 10g. packages and 4 large packages. All together I seem to have 2 pounds and it smells and feels wonderful.

If I can't figure out conversion from ady to cake yeast, I'll just have to guess for the first batch and then make adjustments. I am hoping I can get it down a little better than that before I make first batch of dough.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 11:45:57 PM »
adcouple,

If you are now using 1 1/2 t. ADY, that converts to 0.36 ounces, or 10.2 grams, of fresh yeast.

Peter

Offline adcouple

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:39:19 AM »
Can't wait to try it. Thank you so much. First visit to this board was complete success. You are a great resource.

pizzapan