Author Topic: Par baked thin crust  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Par baked thin crust
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:32:54 PM »
I am going back to par baking or I am going to a use a very thin cookie sheet to see if I can get a little more crispy crust.  Not sure which way to go for thin crust Thursday night.  Here is the recipe I will use.

Randy

6.5 oz. warm water(120-130F)up from 6oz
1  teaspoons instant yeast
1 pound KA bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon Clasico Olive oil
Mix dough first thing in the morning for a crust that night.
Mix together the flour and salt.  Place roughly half the flour mixture in the mixing bowl then add the yeast to the bowl.  Measure the water and add the honey & sugar to the water. Pour that into the mixer and mix on stir for two minutes.  Add remaining flour mixture and oils and go to kneading speed on your mixer.  Knead for 5 minutes.  Place in tightly sealed greased bowl for at least 9 hours.  After rolling prick a lot of holes in the dough.  Bake at 450 deg F for 10 to 13 minutes
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 09:38:33 AM by Randy »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re:Par baked thin crust
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 09:04:31 AM »
Hey, that's what I did the last time. :)  ::)

(par-baked crust)

So crispy!!!:)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:07:58 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 09:10:03 AM »
That looks a litte TOO crispy!!  ;)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »
It was not as bad as it appears. :)

And I like a well done pie. :)   , But next time just a minute or so less...lol

That was my first try on this method.  :)

And the thing is I would like to get my pepperoni a little brown (That's my goal here, along with the crispy crust, without burning the cheese).

And for me it is still tricky. :-\
« Last Edit: December 07, 2004, 09:27:38 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 09:32:04 AM »
Anybody try a pizza screen on a thin crust?
Trinity you got crispy down pat, I just wish I didn't have to par bake.

Randy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 10:29:50 AM »
The screens are great to work with, it cuts the cooking time down, a whole bunch.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:53 AM »
I just noticed that I had the wrong instructions in the recipe in the first post.  The knead time is 5 min, not 10.  As a test, todays pizza was kneaded for ony 4 min.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 10:33:47 PM »
Well this was a disaster of my own making.  It started when I used 130 F water instead of 90 deg.  Just after lunch, I peeked and it had risen more than I expected so I thought I would put in the cooler for a few minutes to cool it down.  I went outside to build a new door for my new larger barbecue pit and forgot about the dough being in the cooler.  I took it out at 6 pm and fought to roll it out till 7.  The crust was tasteless.  I think it would have been fine if I just left it on the counter.

Oh well.

Randy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 09:53:31 AM »
LOL!  Sorry to laugh, Randy...but having created a "disaster of my own making" not too long ago, I can relate to what you just went through.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!"....*smacking head with hand*, right?? ;)

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 10:09:04 AM »
Dave, I guess with little fermintation the only flavor was the salt and honey.  The dogs liked it.

Randy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 11:30:29 AM »
I hear you, Randy--mine never even got as far as the dogs ;)  Right into the garbage.

Dave

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 12:41:22 PM »
Why did you use the higher temp to start with?  Seems lucky you didn't kill the yeast.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 07:56:57 PM »
For all my oter bread including my Ny style and American style pizza I all ways use 120-130 deg water Per SAF yeast. Peter rhienhart and many others.  The deal is you do not proof.  For the thin crust i only use 90

Randy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 07:57:26 PM by Randy »

Offline buzz

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 11:57:56 AM »
There'a pizza place around me that has the best thin crust I've ever had--it's cracker-thin and awesome! I made friends with the manager and asked him for the recipe--he didn't give me the exact measurements, but he said that they use Gold medal AP flour and very little oil (nothing unusual or tricky). But they do let the dough rise three times at room temperature, and then sheet it paper-thin.

I tried a three-time rise at home and it comes out very similar--unfortunately, I don't have a 650-degree, steel-floored oven to cook it properly!

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 12:02:04 PM »
Oh, and a 30-minute knead for the dough, just like Alton Brown advises (I did mine in the bread machine).

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2004, 08:04:54 AM »
OK,,,

My second try... ;D

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2004, 08:06:49 AM »
Here's another shot. ;D ;D ;D

Oh it was good!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2004, 09:51:48 AM »
Now there is a great looking pizza Trinity.
Did you par bake it?

Randy

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2004, 10:32:22 AM »
Yup,,, ::)

About 4-5 minutes @500F. :)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2004, 11:51:50 AM »
That is a 18 inch pan BTW. ;D