Author Topic: Modern Marvels - The History of Bread  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Modern Marvels - The History of Bread
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
Is anyone watching it right now on the History Channel? It just started here on the West Coast.

Great info about yeast, starters, fermentation processes, etc.

Mike
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Modern Marvels - The History of Bread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:35:42 PM »
I'm not watching it today, but I have watched and recorded it back when it first came on.  That reminds me to review the Modern Marvels episode on coffee I recorded a couple years ago to see if there is anything worth posting on this forum.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
RN,

It seems to be a new episode. Comcast's guide says it's from 2008. Could be a re-run, though.

"The Italian word for round flat bread, "Pizza", comes from the Greek word "Pita" ". Love those little facts they put up.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:43:16 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:49:09 PM »
It seems to be a new episode. Comcast's guide says it's from 2008. Could be a re-run, though.

Yes, as in new three months ago.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
Didn't know that.

It was informative, nevertheless.

Mike
Mike

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »
It was informative as Modern Marvel episodes generally are.  It's the only show I watch on the History Channel anymore.  There used to be several I liked including Digging for the Truth with Josh Bernstein.  Alas, he is there no more.  Into the Unknown with Josh Bernstein might be a good substitute when it comes out in a few months on the Discovery Channel.  If I have time tomorrow I will post a link to the intro of the Modern Marvels bread episode.  The intro to Modern Marvels is perhaps the best part of the show anyway.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »
RN,

The History Channel is the leading channel in my house, so to speak. Followed by Discovery.

I personally enjoy the "Classroom" shows on Hist and A&E. No interruptions by commercials. Plus, the last fifteen are always something different; usually a "Newsreel" thing. Also, if I get a chance, I do tune in to the "How it's made" show. Back in Germany, we had similar a show. Only difference was, their technology back then was less advanced. But even today, and at my age, HIM still does answer questions I had when I was a kid but never got answered.

Yes, THC has let go of numerous good shows. Bernstein was a cool guy and his stuff was very informative. The trailers for his new show on the Discovery Channel look promising!

Mike

edit: Grammar.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:38:18 AM by Essen1 »
Mike

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »
Mike,

I haven't seen a new episode of How It's Made on the Discovery Channel in a long time.  All the new episodes are on the Science Channel, which I have, but only in the den where I watch television less frequently.

By the way, did you mean THC as in The History Channel or TLC as in The Learning Channel?  I don't often see the History Channel abbreviated so I wanted to be sure it wasn't a typo.  It is my opinion that TLC has become the dumping grounds for Discovery Communications Inc.  At least the History Channel is still pretty decent as a whole.

- red.november

Offline spaul

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 01:34:26 AM »
Is anyone watching it right now on the History Channel? It just started here on the West Coast.

Great info about yeast, starters, fermentation processes, etc.

Mike

I mostly watch modern marvels on History Channel but have not yet seen any episode on "The History of Bread". I think I have missed great info. Well, I hope that I will try to watch it when it will be re telecast.

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:29:16 AM »
The introduction to History Channel's Modern Marvels episode on bread, originally aired on March 24, 2008.

http://www.unclesalmon.com/lib/video/Modern_Marvels-Bread.mov

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 02:44:13 PM »
RN,

Yes, I was talking about The History Channel (THC). The Learning Channel (TLC) is not as good as it used to be. The Discovery Channel (TDC) has a new addition, it seems. "How do they do it" is almost like "How it's made" but with more in-depth details.

Whew. I think we covered all abbreviations now, don't you think?  ;D

Mike
Mike