Author Topic: Italian Cheeses Close to Home  (Read 1783 times)

Offline jjerrier2450

Italian Cheeses Close to Home
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Hi All -

I am one of the owners of Campania Pizza in Dallas and we have partnered with a group of Italian companies that help us get a lot of interesting imports direct from the producers in Italy.  A small group of these guys have done something pretty cool.  They formed a company called Bufalita (google it!) and they opened a cheese plant near Guadalajara Mexico.  They brought over Italian cheesemakers, Italian equipment and technology and are making fior di latte, mozzarella di bufala, and ricotta.  I am bugging them to start making burrata too.

They are making the bufala from frozen milk shipped from Italy, but they have plans to bring 100 water buffaloes over to roam the plains of Mexico.  What's nice is now we get our cheese shipped fresh within a day of it being made, vs. having it shipped in frozen from Italy.

At any rate - these guys supply all of our cheese for pizza making at the restaurant and will soon have it available at a few local dallas markets.

Thought you guys might find it interesting - and hopefully we'll find a way to make it available to a broader audience than just Dallas...

Jay

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Italian Cheeses Close to Home
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
Out of curiosity have you tried http://www.realmozzarella.com/ and how does it compare to what you are using?

I always try to buy American as opposed to ItalMex.

Thanks
PNW

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »
Jay,

I assume you also have an interest in the newly opened Campania Pizza in Southlake also.  Just wanted to let you know that I have gone there several times and am a big fan!  I talk it up to many of my friends and all that have gone there are equally impressed!  Thanks for bringing salvation to the pizza wasteland in DFW.

Pete

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »
I have tried the Bubalis Bufala - but only as a retail consumer purchased from Central Market.  It is good - but I found it more on the firm side and not as creamy as the Italian bufalas.  The firmness actually makes it pretty good for melting on pizza as it results in a slightly less soupy version of neapolitan pizza.  I have not used it on the commercial side though.  I find that Bufalita, though made in Mexico, is closer to the Italian version.  Just one person's opinion though.  We used to use Pomela Bufala shipped in frozen - but I think it really loses something after it's been frozen.

On the other post - yes I am the owner of Southlake.  Glad you like it.  I actually don't have any interest in the Dallas location...just Southlake.  We have been open since Feb and so far so good - I personally think we have a long way to go in getting the pizza to the way I want it...they hate when I am in the kitchen arguing with them about the fire and the oven temperature and the way they shape the dough :)

Please ask for me if you come in and I'll give you the nickel tour - or if you need a few scoops of Caputo.

Jay

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
Jay,

Thanks for the invite for the nickel tour and the scoops!  Just got back from traveling overseas and tried some pizza in Germany (Munich) - actually very good.  Clearly the beer and brats steals the show but I had to mix it up alittle.  Next time I visit I'll ask for you.

Pete