Author Topic: Starting a clay oven build this weekend...  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Saul

• I Love Pizza!
Starting a clay oven build this weekend...
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

Hello people, I've been into making pizzas for a while now but never been able to get any decent temperatures out of my domestic oven so I've decided to have a go at building a simple (but hopefully effective) mud oven in my back yard. Sometime in the future I will build a brick oven but for now I'm going to go with the design laid out in Kiko Denzer's 'Build Your Own Earth Oven'. Maybe some people here have built one using these plans?? Any feedback would be appreciated...

Basically, I'll be constructing an oven with a 27.5" circular floor diameter, very small I know but hopefully enough to allow me to experiment with my dough recipes and knock out some tasty pizzas in the process. The shape of the dome given in the book is quite spherical but I believe from reading these forums that an oven more suitable for pizzas has a slighly flatter/lower dome, so my question is what height do you think I should make the oven roof? Or does it even matter in an oven this small??

Thanks... :D

Offline Davydd

Re: Starting a clay oven build this weekend...
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
I took an earth oven building class at a local community ed workshop. We followed Kiko Danzer's book. The opening for the the oven should be 63% of the height of the dome. That should not be altered. If you are building an arched opening I imagine it should be at least 16" wide to put a pizza in. So if the arch is a true half circle it would be 8" high minimum, thus the dome should be about 12-11/16" high. That comes close to being a true sphere dome at 27.5" diameter.

Davydd

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
That is pretty neat - is there any insulation below or in the pig?

Saul I bought the book but have not brought myself to doing anything with it yet.  I have also been convinced that buying, not "making" insulation will be well worth it.
Patrick

Offline Davydd

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »
The earth oven was made following Danzer's book. Below the fire brick floor the base is built up 8 inches and insulated to hold the heat in the floor. This oven was built on a cart so it can be moved around and stored inside. The first 4 inches of the oven is clay and sand. The second 4 inch layer is insulated clay, sand and straw and the finish is a decorative stucco coat.

If I have time next year I may build an earth oven in our yard. I have been informed by my wife the design motif will be that of an American Bald Eagle.
Davydd

pizzapan