Author Topic: Stromboli  (Read 6020 times)

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
Re: Stromboli
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »
Mary Ann,

I can't wait to see your Stromboli this weekend.  Your are such a great pizza maker, so I am sure you Stromboli's will look and taste fantastic.  I wonder how yours get that brown.

Norma

Thank you for the kind words, Norma.  You are a great pizza maker as well.  IIRC, I preheat my top oven on convection setting to 450 degrees with a 1/2" cordierite stone for at least an hour if not longer.  This stone is great for bread, stromboli and calzone.  I've only made calzone and stromboli once with this stone and I guess I just got lucky with the browning and cooking time.  I will take more copious notes and post them here if it will help you.

BTW, our elf friends made a guest appearance in my house this morning and I caught my 6 year old talking to the both of them and when they didn't answer, I heard him say "Helloooooooo?"  LOL!
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
awesome Norma.  I'm going to have to jump on the stromboli train, they look good.  I used to make them alot but its' been years.   
Deb

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2015, 12:03:35 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, Norma.  You are a great pizza maker as well.  IIRC, I preheat my top oven on convection setting to 450 degrees with a 1/2" cordierite stone for at least an hour if not longer.  This stone is great for bread, stromboli and calzone.  I've only made calzone and stromboli once with this stone and I guess I just got lucky with the browning and cooking time.  I will take more copious notes and post them here if it will help you.

BTW, our elf friends made a guest appearance in my house this morning and I caught my 6 year old talking to the both of them and when they didn't answer, I heard him say "Helloooooooo?"  LOL!

Mary Ann,

I appreciate your kinds words.  Thanks for telling me your use a stone in your convection oven.  If you decide to take notes that might help me.  I still have a soapstone cut for the convection oven, but don't have a cordierite stone that fits the ¼ size convection oven.  The bakes were at 425 degrees yesterday, and the bakes were fairly fast. 

Lol, about your elf friend making a guest appearance in your home this morning and your 6 year old talking to both of them.  The “helloooo” part was really funny that your son said!  :-D My daughter got me a new girl elf last year and she hasn't even been out of the box yet.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
awesome Norma.  I'm going to have to jump on the stromboli train, they look good.  I used to make them alot but its' been years.

Deb,

I would be glad if you jumped on the Stromboli train, since you used to make a lot of them years ago.  Your help would be appreciated too!  ;D

Norma

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
stonecutter,

Thanks!  The sausage and spinach Stromboli's you make sound delicious!  Thanks for telling us you usually roll the ingredients up with the dough.  Is your dough round, or in a rectangle shape.  Do you mean you spread the ingredients like a pizza before roll? I am still trying to experiment.

Norma

I would say they are more rectangular with rounded corners. 

You could spread out the ingredients, though I've never done it that way. It would probably be best to keep a wide margin from around the edges Of the dough, or they'll squeeze out as you roll and the ends won't have a clean seal. 

When I roll Stromboli, I usually only do it when I have three or less ingredients. I'll start on one side, and dole out a small amount of whatever parallel to the roll. Then fold some dough over that, roll once, and another ingredient.   Similar to what a pepperoni roll looks like.  I like a little bread incorporated into the center sometimes.  But I'm a big fan of the traditional method too. I'm not too picky on the how's...it's all about the end result!
When we build, let us think that we build forever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »
Here's sort of what they look like.  These where just made with left over toppings and a dough ball after pizza night. Actually, this may have been done in the home oven, not our wfo. Not great looking but it ate well.😀
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:32:20 PM by stonecutter »
John Ruskin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2015, 09:53:44 PM »
I would say they are more rectangular with rounded corners. 

You could spread out the ingredients, though I've never done it that way. It would probably be best to keep a wide margin from around the edges Of the dough, or they'll squeeze out as you roll and the ends won't have a clean seal. 

When I roll Stromboli, I usually only do it when I have three or less ingredients. I'll start on one side, and dole out a small amount of whatever parallel to the roll. Then fold some dough over that, roll once, and another ingredient.   Similar to what a pepperoni roll looks like.  I like a little bread incorporated into the center sometimes.  But I'm a big fan of the traditional method too. I'm not too picky on the how's...it's all about the end result!

stonecutter,

Thanks for explaining about your more rectangular dough with rounded corners, and how you place the ingredients.  It is interesting what you do when you have you use three or less ingredients.  I agree it is all about the end result.  I am not happy with my end results. 

Here's sort of what they look like.  These where just made with left over toppings and a dough ball after pizza night. Actually, this may have been done in the home oven, not our wfo. Not great looking but it ate well.😀

Thanks for the photo of your stromboli!  It looks good to me.  I really like the thin dough inside of your Stromboli.

Norma

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »
I posted this calzone pic awhile back.  This is the color I like on a Stromboli.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28376.msg286163#msg286163
John Ruskin

Offline mbrulato

• Supporting Member
  • I heart pizza
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:50 PM »
Great color on the calzone, stonecutter.  The one I made awhile back looks very similar.
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Try baking hotter and without parchment maybe? The ones we made had a lot more deep brown color to them, and small parts even started to get like a "caramelized" dark brown/black color, though it wasn't burnt.

I am still not happy with the experimental Stromboli's. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
I posted this calzone pic awhile back.  This is the color I like on a Stromboli.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=28376.msg286163#msg286163

Great color on the calzone, stonecutter.  The one I made awhile back looks very similar.

stonecutter and Mary Ann,

That is the color I would like to have my stromboli's look like.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
Try baking hotter and without parchment maybe? The ones we made had a lot more deep brown color to them, and small parts even started to get like a "caramelized" dark brown/black color, though it wasn't burnt.

Lou,

What kind of oven did you baked your stromboli in to get a deep dark color.  I could try without parchment paper, but don't want to clean up a mess on the sheet pan if the stromboli leaks.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:38 PM »
Still am not having success with making Stromboli's.  Some Stromboli's were made on Monday and baked on Tuesday morning. These were rolled like a jelly roll and were bigger than some of the attempts. Olive oil was brushed on the Stromboli's one time.  They were baked on a soapstone at 450 degrees F.  For the two of the Stromboli's corn oil was brushed while baking.  I won't even show that photo because it was the worst yet.

Norma

Offline parallei

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
I won't even show that photo because it was the worst yet.

Norma

What did you not like about them, Norma?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2015, 09:49:29 AM »
What did you not like about them, Norma?

Paul,

I can't seem to get them evenly browned.

Norma

Offline petef

« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Paul,

I can't seem to get them evenly browned.

Norma

Norma, go back and look at your posts/pics Reply 52 & 53. You had excellent browning using Whole Milk brushed on.

I never had good results with the browning when brushed with oil.

Ok, thinking back, you like the seasoned oil for the taste it adds, correct?
How about brushing with oil and topping that with whole milk?

---pete---

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
Norma, go back and look at your posts/pics Reply 52 & 53. You had excellent browning using Whole Milk brushed on.

I never had good results with the browning when brushed with oil.

Ok, thinking back, you like the seasoned oil for the taste it adds, correct?
How about brushing with oil and topping that with whole milk?

---pete---

pete,

Thanks for telling me to go back to replies 52 and 53.  I am not sure if the like the seasoned oil better or not, but do like how those stromboli's browned.  I will try whole milk again, and might try to finish the stromboli's in the deck oven.

Norma

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2015, 05:17:23 AM »
Finna do a BBQ chicken, grilled onions, bacon, and mushrooms AND a Pastrami, Mushrooms, and yellow onions stromboli soon.

Offline Tayyab123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »
What are strombolis served in to takeaway? I've never seen a Stromboli box. I sell them at my place but we give them in a calzone box

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2016, 12:55:37 PM »
Faced with dilemma of getting the dough deep inside the stromboli fully cooked without over-baking the outside, I have been cutting the roll into slices before baking - stomboli pull-apart rolls. This form-factor is ideal for my leftover pizza dough which is built for high-heat WFO baking. Result is a light, soft roll that is uniformly baked.   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2016, 01:01:26 PM »
Faced with dilemma of getting the dough deep inside the stromboli fully cooked without over-baking the outside, I have been cutting the roll into slices before baking - stomboli pull-apart rolls. This form-factor is ideal for my leftover pizza dough which is built for high-heat WFO baking. Result is a light, soft roll that is uniformly baked.   

Your stromboli pull-apart rolls looked awesome Bill!  :chef:

Norma

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2016, 05:40:36 PM »
Your stromboli pull-apart rolls looked awesome Bill!  :chef:

^^^ X infinity +1
Norm