Author Topic: Garlic Knots  (Read 21233 times)

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
Re: Garlic Knots
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
I have some leftover pizza dough sitting in the fridge, what to do what to do. Stumbled across garlic knots here and wondering if I should proof the dough on the counter 1st for a couple of hours, roll, cut then form the knots, or roll the cold dough, cut, form and then proof on the counter then pop them in the oven. Using an emergency type dough same day that's been sitting in the fridge for 24 hrs. tks
Carl

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline carl333

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
These were really good: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17511.0.html

Nice recipe for leftover dough, def looks inviting. Don't have buf moz and need to stay clear from another pizza day. My wife is getting a bit fed up with my pizzza dough experiments and eating pizzas. lol. Me, i can eat pizza every day.
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2015, 04:50:06 PM »
Don't have buf moz

Stuff them with whatever you have. Who cares what it is. It will be good.

Offline carl333

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2015, 05:05:52 PM »
Stuff them with whatever you have. Who cares what it is. It will be good.

wondering if I should proof the dough on the counter 1st for a couple of hours, roll, cut then form , or roll the cold dough, cut, form and then proof on the counter stuff then pop them in the oven
Carl

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 05:42:10 PM »
It wouldn't hurt to warm it up some, but if it's fully fermented, you can go with it as is.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »
Carl,

There are many uses for leftover dough balls.  I used to make garlic knots, and other things from frozen doughs, or doughs that might have fermented too much, or from regular doughs balls.  I showed what I did for garlic knots at Reply 442 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg98110.html#msg98110 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline carl333

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
Carl,

There are many uses for leftover dough balls.  I used to make garlic knots, and other things from frozen doughs, or doughs that might have fermented too much, or from regular doughs balls.  I showed what I did for garlic knots at Reply 442 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg98110.html#msg98110 

Norma

Hello Norma, Tks for the reply and your ideas on leftover dough.  I did make some knots today and they looked very muck like yours. I have read many of your posts on your trials, tribulations and pizza experiments. I see the link you sent me to was actually started for a preferment for Lehmann NY style... That was some time back. Are you currently using commercial yeasts or starters in your market pizza?  I know you went through an enormous learning curve and just wondering what you have finally settled upon. Happy NY!
Carl

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
Hello Norma, Tks for the reply and your ideas on leftover dough.  I did make some knots today and they looked very muck like yours. I have read many of your posts on your trials, tribulations and pizza experiments. I see the link you sent me to was actually started for a preferment for Lehmann NY style... That was some time back. Are you currently using commercial yeasts or starters in your market pizza?  I know you went through an enormous learning curve and just wondering what you have finally settled upon. Happy NY!

Carl,

Good to hear your garlic knots turned out well!  8) I am using IDY in my current boardwalk and Detroit style doughs, and doing a one day cold ferment for both doughs.  I really liked the preferment Lehmann dough and the pizzas resulting from them, but my customers did not seem to notice a better flavor in the crust.  Also I became busier at market, and think now I would have a hard time judging how much preferment to make on a Friday to incorporate into the final dough batches on Mondays.  The other problem with using a preferment made on a Friday, is if weather (snow) might be bad on a Monday or Tuesday, there might be too many leftover dough balls.  Since I am only a one day a week pizza stand it is hard what to decide to do in the varying temperatures at market.

Happy New Year to you too!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!