Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 90954 times)

Offline Ev

Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2011, 02:12:45 PM »
Pete,

These are the pans. Definitely steel. They are made by Allied. I went to Bova Foods showroom and bought mine. I'm not sure if they sell them online.

http://www.anything4restaurants.com/products/1-12-straight-sided-pans-non-stick-black-buster-coating-tapered-design-heavy-weight-steel-22-gauge-127207.html#DetailsBox

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #201 on: March 16, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »
I will dig out my copy of the menu I mentioned and see if I can find it on the Internet anywhere and, if not, I will describe the options listed in the menu for the gourmet Greek style pizzas.

Norma,

The pdf menu document on Greek pizzas was not to be found, so I have typed below what I have on my paper copy of the menu.

GREEK STYLE PIZZA
MARENGO: Roast chicken, sliced fresh tomatoes, green peppers, pizza cheese, no sauce
MYKONOS: Onions, sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, black olives, feta cheese & pizza cheese, no sauce
EL-FRESKO: Sliced tomatoes, fresh garlic, basil, feta cheese & pizza cheese, no sauce

SEAFOOD GOURMET PIZZA
SCAMPI WHITE PIZZA: Shrimp, garlic, olive oil & fresh tomato
QUATRO: Shrimp, chicken, pepperoni & garlic
MILANO: Shrimp, spinach, ricotta cheese & fresh tomato

GOURMET PIZZA
THE ARTICHOKE: Artichoke, bacon, tomato & broccoli
WHITE PIZZA: Mozzarella, ricotta, romano cheese, garlic & tomato
MEAT LOVERS: Sausage, pepperoni, ham, hamburger & bacon
HEALTHY CHOICE: Grilled chicken, broccoli, fresh tomato & eggplant
GARDEN CHOICE: Artichoke, black olive, eggplant, fresh tomato & broccoli
COLD CUT: Ham, salami & pepperoni
VEGGIE SUPREME: Onions, peppers, mushrooms, black olive, tomato & broccoli
GREEK PIZZA: Feta cheese, tomato, olives, spinach & garlic
CHICKEN LOVERS: Chicken, broccoli, garlic, fresh tomatoes & onions
MEXICAN HOT HOT: Hot spice chicken, fresh tomato, jalapeno & onions
BOSTONIAN BBQ CHICKEN: BBQ chicken, onions topped with cheese
MEDITERRANEAN: Onions, fresh tomato, spinach & feta cheese
CHICKEN STIR FRY: Chicken, mushrooms, onions & peppers
CHICKEN BROCCOLI ALFREDO: (No description given)
BRAZILIAN PIZZA: Chicken, corn & bacon

Of course, pizzas can be made using any number of toppings, just as with any regular pizza establishment. The sizes in the above examples are 10" and 16".

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #202 on: March 16, 2011, 04:26:18 PM »
Pete,

These are the pans. Definitely steel. They are made by Allied. I went to Bova Foods showroom and bought mine. I'm not sure if they sell them online.

http://www.anything4restaurants.com/products/1-12-straight-sided-pans-non-stick-black-buster-coating-tapered-design-heavy-weight-steel-22-gauge-127207.html#DetailsBox

Steve,

It looks like you are right. I used the part number from the link you provided to search the Allied website and I got a hit at http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/mc,list,x,1,80,x,x,x,x/Pizza%20%26amp%3B%20Baking%20Pans/. For some reason, they don't list the straight-sided Black Buster steel pans under Pizza & Baking Pans: Straight Sided. In any event, it is good to know that they carry the steel deep-dish pans.

Having spoken before with Allied, I know that they don't sell directly to the public. However, if one does a Google search using the terms "SRP10X15, pan, allied", without the quotes, there will be a few hits of suppliers. Examples are http://www.ablekitchen.com/supplies/AL-SRP10X15/Baking-Pan-10-Id-X-1-1-2-25-4Cm-X-3-8Cm-Straight-Sided-22-Gauge-Steel-W-Non-Stick-Black-12-Pieces-Unit.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc_r&utm_campaign=feeds and http://www.simplysolutionsinc.com/Pan-Pizza-15-Non-Stick-10-Inch-1-Each-Item-ID-482836-Manufacturer-ID-SRP10X15_p_29156.html.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2011, 05:36:35 PM »
Norma,

The pdf menu document on Greek pizzas was not to be found, so I have typed below what I have on my paper copy of the menu.

GREEK STYLE PIZZA
MARENGO: Roast chicken, sliced fresh tomatoes, green peppers, pizza cheese, no sauce
MYKONOS: Onions, sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh garlic, black olives, feta cheese & pizza cheese, no sauce
EL-FRESKO: Sliced tomatoes, fresh garlic, basil, feta cheese & pizza cheese, no sauce

SEAFOOD GOURMET PIZZA
SCAMPI WHITE PIZZA: Shrimp, garlic, olive oil & fresh tomato
QUATRO: Shrimp, chicken, pepperoni & garlic
MILANO: Shrimp, spinach, ricotta cheese & fresh tomato

GOURMET PIZZA
THE ARTICHOKE: Artichoke, bacon, tomato & broccoli
WHITE PIZZA: Mozzarella, ricotta, romano cheese, garlic & tomato
MEAT LOVERS: Sausage, pepperoni, ham, hamburger & bacon
HEALTHY CHOICE: Grilled chicken, broccoli, fresh tomato & eggplant
GARDEN CHOICE: Artichoke, black olive, eggplant, fresh tomato & broccoli
COLD CUT: Ham, salami & pepperoni
VEGGIE SUPREME: Onions, peppers, mushrooms, black olive, tomato & broccoli
GREEK PIZZA: Feta cheese, tomato, olives, spinach & garlic
CHICKEN LOVERS: Chicken, broccoli, garlic, fresh tomatoes & onions
MEXICAN HOT HOT: Hot spice chicken, fresh tomato, jalapeno & onions
BOSTONIAN BBQ CHICKEN: BBQ chicken, onions topped with cheese
MEDITERRANEAN: Onions, fresh tomato, spinach & feta cheese
CHICKEN STIR FRY: Chicken, mushrooms, onions & peppers
CHICKEN BROCCOLI ALFREDO: (No description given)
BRAZILIAN PIZZA: Chicken, corn & bacon

Of course, pizzas can be made using any number of toppings, just as with any regular pizza establishment. The sizes in the above examples are 10" and 16".

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to type out the whole menu of what kind of Greek pizzas are offered.  They all sound good to me.  I need to get a few steel pans like Steve has.  I did bake in my other sloping deep-dish pans and they don’t bake the same as Steve’s. 

Norma

Pictures of Steve’s Greek style before reheat and reheated slices of Steve’s Greek style pizza today.  They were as good or better than yesterday.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
Norma and Steve, Thanks for the pic of the crust, comparing it to my last greek that's what works for me also. Looking forward to having some friends over soon for a 11". In my toaster over I have to cover the top with foil for 15 minutes and then turn on both elements for 5 minutes to brown up the top.
Don

Offline Markies House of Pizza

« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2011, 11:16:16 PM »
Awesome pies folks.
Sunday we are having a 1st Birthday party for our daughter and guess what Daddy is making!
Mmmmmm.  I bought more pans and am off to Trader Joe's tomorrow to pick up cheese and dough.
Here is my inspiration.
-mark

buceriasdon

« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2011, 11:22:27 PM »
Mark, Look forward to some pics of the birthday for the little one ;D
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »
Don and Mark,

I look forward to seeing pictures of both of your pies!

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
Mark,  

Just curious. How big are the pizzas at Town Spa? Any chance you could get a photo or two from there? And, please do post some photos from your party! :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2011, 08:36:49 AM »
Mark,  

Just curious. How big are the pizzas at Town Spa? Any chance you could get a photo or two from there? And, please do post some photos from your party! :)

Steve,

I am not Mark, but here are a few pictures from Town Spa Pizza and their website, if you or anyone else is interested.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/2bF-4ldggT4aLbbgd20X2Q?select=44rOzO59gZ9zJXI2FmsTJw

http://www.hiddenboston.com/blogphotopages/TownSpaPhoto.html

http://www.townspapizza.com/

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Thanks Norma!

buceriasdon

« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »
Norma, Also thanks for tracking down those pics. I noticed their crust was nearly twice as thick as mine and Steve's and from the photo looked denser. Not a criticism, just an observation but I know I would perfer mine over those.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Steve and Don,

I haven’t ever tasted a real “Greek Style” pizza from a pizza business, but think I also like a thinner pizza like Steve made and you are making.  :)

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
I know this makes absolutely no sense, but that third picture....from their own website.... is not a picture of their pizza.   Its just some stock pizza photo.       The first two pizzas indeed look just like theirs, but one of the photos does make the pizza look deceptively thick.   Remember, these are very small pizzas, probably just 10inch max.     I believe normas/steves latest pictures look like the correct thickness factor is used for the dough, but their pizzas are slightly more airy (a good thing) and therefore end up a little thicker looking than a typical bar pizza.  

I just want to clarify that  much of this thread has morphed into bar pizza, (only comes in 1 size (10in) and has oil in the pan/cheese to the edge) which is in my opinion the best version of greek pizza available around boston.   It is specific to the area just south of boston.   In the city proper and areas other than south of the city normal "greek pizza" does not have cheese to the edge or oil in the bottom of the pan, it comes in many sizes, and can be thicker than bar pizza, sometimes even with a puffy rim.   What is common between typical greek pizza and the bar pizza sub-style is the use of white cheddar cheese, the dough recipe, the oven temp, and the pan baking.   Bar pizza should end up quite thin, not much thicker or sometimes any thicker than a Ny street style, but with more air/fluff from the pan rise/rest before baking.   In some pizzerias they are not good about the pan rise and in a rush you can get a pizza that is not as light/fluffy due to immediate baking after panning .  

Note for people trying to duplicate this pizza:   If you are trying to recreate a denser crusted version of this pizza just skip or minimize the rise after panning.  

Good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:01:40 AM by scott r »

buceriasdon

« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
scottr, thanks for the further clarification. The photo I was referring to was:      http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/2bF-4ldggT4aLbbgd20X2Q?select=kz5ULJSJXzelozHD8XakLg
And I had to chuckle myself at the stock photo :-D, I mean, why use a photo that doesn't represent your product?
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: March 23, 2011, 12:08:44 AM »
Steve brought along two doughs for Greek pizza today.  One was a dough made with Caputo flour and CY that he had left over from the bake in his WFO Friday and another Lehmann dough he had leftover from another bake in his home oven.  These are the pies from both of those bakes.

Steve put pepperoni and spinach under the cheese for both of these pies. Steve also made a special sauce for these Greek pizzas today. I am posting pictures because the pictures were on my camera.

Both of these Greek style pizzas were excellent, but both Steve and I had enough pizza today.  :-D

Pictures below

Norma
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:12:48 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »
end of pictures

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2011, 07:52:41 AM »
This was one Greek pizza from my Lehmann dough made yesterday.  As can be seen, my Greek Pizza didn’t look as good as Steve’s. I used my sloping deep-dish pan for my Greek Pizza. Steve’s adds a lot more cheese than I do.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
Ok... I finally got around to making my first attempt at this puppy. I've been craving it for awhile. It came out great for my first try. Here are a few pics...

Instead of white cheddar around the edges, I used shredded Romano. It was really great.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Ev

« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »
It looks a little on the thick side but delicious none the less. Practice makes perfect, I always say. ;D