Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 105660 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #280 on: August 27, 2011, 12:40:31 AM »
Tuttorosso
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #281 on: August 27, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »
I haven't gotten the sauce just right, but I also found pastenes doesn't work too well for this pizza as I previously thought. I now use a sauce called "tortorosse" or some name like that, i'll check later. I don't use peppers in my sauce. For some reason I can't get the sauce just right but i've found a tiny pinch of rosemary can add alot of the unique taste to the sauce.

Nick, rosemary in the sauce is the "secret" ingredient used my a number of the famous massachusetts bar style greek pizzerias, so you are staying right within the style when you use it. 

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #282 on: August 27, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
I've also added rosemary to the dough with good results, and just read about adding it to the oil in the pan, which sounds interesting, too.

Offline shboom

« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2011, 05:39:18 AM »
Hey Scott R......Do YOU have a recipe for massachusetts bar style pie you'd like to share??
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
This was the Greek pizza, made yesterday using Peterís MA#2 formula, with the lower hydration. The pan for this pizza was also greased with the Mexican manteca I had used for two Greek style pizzas at Reply  909  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg151435.html#msg151435
When using the same amount of Mexican manteca I had used to grease the steel pans at my other posts, this Greek style pizza didnít brown the same on the bottom crust, even though the oven temperature was the same.  I find it interesting that this formula didnít give the same bottom crust browning as my other two Greek pizzas.  The bottom crust on this pizza was good, but wasnít the same.  I donít know what caused this bottom crust to brown different, but it could have been the lower hydration or either from the dough ball that was placed in the deli case the day before.  When I arrived at market yesterday morning the plastic container had popped the lid, and a skin had formed on the dough ball.  I flipped the dough ball over in the container, until I made the pizza later in the day.  I did use the bottom of the dough ball for the bottom crust for this pie.

This pizza was dressed with garlic herb infused oil, yellow zucchini, spinach, cheddar, mozzarella and Italian sweet sausage (I bought fresh at market and I had baked for an hour in my deck oven and then sliced). The sweet baked Italian baked sausage was placed under the cheese.  I though the combination of dressings made a tasty Greek pizza.

I also changed the flour this time.  The flour I used was the Occident flour.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:24:14 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
Norma,

It is hard to answer your question about the differences between the bottom crusts of the three pizzas you made because there were too many variables. I think the best test would be to use the same amounts of dough for the two basic dough formulations (the preferment Lehmann dough formulation and the MA#2 dough formulation), using the same flour, etc., and managed the same way, dressed as identically as possible, put in identical pans oiled the same way, and baked the same way, maybe side by side if that is possible with your oven. That should tell you which is the better dough formulation for your purposes.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
Norma,

It is hard to answer your question about the differences between the bottom crusts of the three pizzas you made because there were too many variables. I think the best test would be to use the same amounts of dough for the two basic dough formulations (the preferment Lehmann dough formulation and the MA#2 dough formulation), using the same flour, etc., and managed the same way, dressed as identically as possible, put in identical pans oiled the same way, and baked the same way, maybe side by side if that is possible with your oven. That should tell you which is the better dough formulation for your purposes.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your advise.  I can try the same flour (KASL) and the same dough weight, dress the pizzas the same, and oil them the same, but I only have one round steel pan, so I will have to bake the pizzas at different times.  I would think the preferment Lehmann dough would have a better flavor though, just from the preferment.  I guess I could be wrong though.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #290 on: September 01, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
Norma, you can borrow my two 10" steel pans if you like.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: September 01, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
Norma, you can borrow my two 10" steel pans if you like.

Steve,

Thanks for saying I could borrow your two 10" steel pans for Tuesday.  I can scale down the recipe for Peter's MA# formula, but I don't know how to scale down the preferment Lehmann dough for a 10" pan, unless I take a regular size dough ball and just make it the same weight.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #292 on: September 01, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
....unless I take a regular size dough ball and just make it the same weight.

Norma,

That's the way to do it.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:21 PM »
Norma,

That's the way to do it.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me that is the way that it can be done.  If Steve sees this post, I will bake both doughs at the same time, if he brings his two 10" pans along.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »
Norma, I already put them in the car so I wouldn't forget.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
Norma, I already put them in the car so I wouldn't forget.

Steve,

Thanks a lot!  :)

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #296 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
Norma,
 Just to thicken the plot a little, I froze a leftover dough ball from last nights wfo bake. 250g Caputo00. I'll bring it along on Tues.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: September 03, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
Norma,
 Just to thicken the plot a little, I froze a leftover dough ball from last nights wfo bake. 250g Caputo00. I'll bring it along on Tues.

Steve,

That sounds great you are going to bring along your Caputo dough to try for a Greek pizza.   :)

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #298 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:20 PM »
That's the plan.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: September 26, 2011, 06:03:57 PM »
I am finally back to my experiments with my preferment Lehmann dough and Peterís MA#2  formula to try tomorrow at market.  I did weight the preferment Lehmann dough ball, so it is exactly the same weight as the MA#2 dough ball.  I asked Steve if he would bring his two 10Ē steel pans to market tomorrow, so we can bake both pies at the same time.  Steve said he would bring the two 10Ē steel pans.  I did use KASL in both formulas.

These were pictures of both of the dough balls at market today, being the MA#2 dough ball is first and the preferment Lehmann dough ball is second.

Norma