Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 103202 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #320 on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
some more pics

Offline sum1else

« Reply #321 on: November 30, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »
Looks great!

So this Greek style... What areas specifically can you find it? I've had it in Stamford (Hope St. Pizza is awesome!) and in the Berkshires. Where else does it exist?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #322 on: November 30, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »
boston is the epicenter for the "greek" style pizza referenced in this thread.  My personal favorites of the style are the "bar pizzas" in the suburbs south of boston.   

Offline anthony33701

Greek pizza
« Reply #323 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
How important is KAHGF in making Greek Pizza? What is the RESULT difference between using KAHGF and KA Bread Flour in making Greek Pizza? Thanks for Any helpful replies. Anthony.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:06:31 AM by Pete-zza »

buceriasdon

Re: King Arthur High Gluten Flour
« Reply #324 on: November 30, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
Whilst others have used KA bread flour to bake some great looking pizza, I've had very good success with all purpose flour but I use a higher than normal hydration level than is generally called for. Bread flour will work fine for Greek/bar pizza. I think more important criteria is the thickness factor of the crust, the sauce and the cheese used. They are a very easy style of pizza to make.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I mixed a Peter’s MA#1 formulation at Reply 242 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176 this evening since I have access to fresh cake yeast right now.  I will be baking the pizza on Tuesday.  I love the smell of Red Star fresh yeast.  The fresh yeast smells like sourdough to me.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #326 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
The Greek pizza using Peter’s MA#1 formulation turned out to be the best pizza of the day today.  I greased the steel pan with peanut oil.  The bottom became nice and crunchy and the crumb was also delicious.  Steve, Randy, my taste testers, and I all enjoyed this Greek pizza. 

The dressing used were my regular tomato sauce, spinach, smoked mozzarella, Fontina, a blend of mozzarellas, mild white cheddar, and grape tomatoes.  The cheese wasn’t spread all the way to the edges.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: December 20, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: December 20, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »
Norma

Offline zipp669

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #331 on: December 23, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »
Quickly...I am wanting to open a burger and pizza place.  So have and am researching many different styles to serve.  I like the thin and crispy of pizza hut and....in the SE and southern part of Iowa...there are greek pizza and steakhouses all over.  Well in this one little town I have fell in love with this old guys pizza.  It is awesome.  Lite airy and the crust is thick folded over edge and thinner in the middle.  Flavors are outstanding as is the sausage.
I ATE THERE again today.  I am 2 hours from this town. 
So me and my employes were working in the area today.
Order a small double sausage and a large house special..I have got to know the old guy pretty well that he knows me when I walk in and we speak.  I told him that in the town I live in he needs to come bring his place as is losing money where he is at.
Long story. sorry.
So today I am in my quest to open and both my guys love this pizza. One is my son who will help in restaurant. I told them I am gonna ask for dough recipe.
SO I pay thank him for the GREAT pizza again and proceed to sit with him and ask if his dough recipe is a secret or can give out.  WELL_____ he say he usually opens place then runs and eventually sells.  Wife comes over and shows the write up in the local paper of them being married 50 years. 
Started in pizza place in Platteville, WI in 1950's.  Back to New York to paint 5 years then back to Iowa to start restaurant. 
THEN i read he has opened and sold 16 pizza/steakhouse restaurants over the course of the last 50 years.  And then I read the names of them and realize that they are traditions and institutions in SE Iowa.  I have heard about many of them.
Well we get down to the nitty gritty which is he wont give me the dough recipe.  But will sell it, sauce, and sausage.  I come anytime and he will give it to me for money.  He will make me make it and if I am wrong he will correct me until I do it right.

He then says come look.  He has 60 qt hobart mixer.
Discusses cheese as low skim mozz and he slices and shows me with hands how he slices to desired thickness.
He says you use this sauce. never said kind but use it and add this  stuff.. again never said what just these things.

DOUGH...gold medal bread flour or all purpose..  I wrote the BIG brown bag code down but hope wrote down right, even said use this number on this bag adn this on the other bag. which was a bag of white flour right beside it and showed it to me.  but am thinking and trying to dissect all this.  I thought he would say 00 flour..NO it is not. a white bag but cant recall what it said. 

He showed me his dough previously made in the day and this is 2p and this mixer bowl is up by the oven sitting on top of another bucket (says this dough has to be done right.) which I assume had warm water in it rising and covered in oil with a towel over it..  He had the other dough he used for my pizza on trays covered in oil and plastic wrap on a rack. not in a cooler.  they were waiting to be used.

I thought good way to learn the tricks he would show me to spend some money on his years of pizza knowledge.  But also thought to hunt the dough recipe down on internet and not spend any money on it.  Well I pulled up greek pizza and run across this never thinking it was even called greek pizza. 
And I was gonna use DKP thin and crispy recipe.  Now I gotta try this. 

Sorry to lead you on a chase here to read this.  If I knew more I would let you know. 
I will be back  there next week as I go see a friend east of Iowa City to check his dough and sauce out.  Sicilian style. 
But will drop down and see what I can see again at this one.
The off to Minneapolis, MN over New Years to see what I can get from Dulonos.

Offline zipp669

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #332 on: December 23, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »
Something else...he sheets it.  puts it on a screen and is cooked on a screen  but not sure if it is on screen thru whole process as have never watched it being removed
I tore the crust from the leftover apart and just tasting it and looking.  No different colors in crust.
ground beef, peppers, and pepperoni under cheese and canadian bacon and onions on top. 
beef is very small/fine and a nice thick layer.
very thin layer of sauce.
limited sausage and probably on top of cheese as it is raw sausage.
Cheese is put on when initially goes in oven.  Not pulled and added thru baking process.
Cooked in a Garland Air Bake oven.
Square cut.

and of all times..I always take pictures. But forgot today and camera was in pocket.

But was there in Nov and have those photos.

he did say BLODGETT was the best oven.  But said the air bake is ready in 10 minutes and the blodgett takes 1.5 hours to warm up.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:02 AM »
I had two Neapolitan dough balls left from a wfo bake 3 days ago, and decided to use them in two "Greekish" style pies yesterday. I also had Ricotta, smoked Gouda, Feta and sharp cheddar, as well as some Andouille sausage and prosciutto. The first pizza has a thin layer of ricotta over the dough, under the sauce, and sausage. The second pie has prosciutto under the cheeses and dollups of ricotta on top. Both doughs were pan-proffed at room temp for 6-7 hrs.
 I'm not sure you can really call this pizza anymore. It's more like a casserole. :-D

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:03 AM »
Second pie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
I had two Neapolitan dough balls left from a wfo bake 3 days ago, and decided to use them in two "Greekish" style pies yesterday. I also had Ricotta, smoked Gouda, Feta and sharp cheddar, as well as some Andouille sausage and prosciutto. The first pizza has a thin layer of ricotta over the dough, under the sauce, and sausage. The second pie has prosciutto under the cheeses and dollups of ricotta on top. Both doughs were pan-proffed at room temp for 6-7 hrs.
 I'm not sure you can really call this pizza anymore. It's more like a casserole. :-D

Steve,

I sure can attest to the great flavored Greek style “casseroles” you made yesterday from you Caputo pizzeria leftover dough balls.  They were the best Greek style pizzas you have made so far in my opinion.  :chef:  I know our taste testers also thought so.  The light and open crumb of the Greek style “casseroles” from using the Caputo with cake yeast couldn’t be compared to most other ones you made on this thread.  I know all of those toppings sure went well together.  All I can say is “yummy”!  All the blends of cheeses you used made the crunchy rim so delightful.  ;D

Norma

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Those look delicious Steve!

John

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2012, 03:11:52 PM »
Thanks John. They were! :D

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:32 PM »
OK I finally got a pan so I can make proper Greek-style pizza.  It's a cutter pan, I think.  It is 12" in diameter and has 1" walls, which meet the base at a 90 degree angle.  It's not black unfortunately, just silver, but it was only $9 and it's the only kind they had at the store.

I modified Pete's formulation Greek MA#1 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg144176.html#msg144176) to fit my 12" pan.  I will be using fine sea sale and IDY with a 24-hour cold fermentation period.  I also added 1.5% bowl residue.  Taking all of this into account, the expanded dough calculator gives the following formulation:

Flour (100%):            217.23 g  |  7.66 oz | 0.48 lbs
Water (41.725%):    90.64 g  |  3.2 oz | 0.2 lbs
IDY (0.40%):            0.87 g | 0.03 oz | 0 lbs | 0.29 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):            3.8 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.68 tsp | 0.23 tbsp
Olive Oil (1%):            2.17 g | 0.08 oz | 0 lbs | 0.48 tsp | 0.16 tbsp
Milk (fresh) (8%):    17.38 g | 0.61 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.48 tsp | 1.16 tbsp
Eggs, large (2%):    4.34 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.86 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
Total (154.875%):   336.44 g | 11.87 oz | 0.74 lbs | TF = 0.1049307

I plan to cold ferment for 24 hours, I will let this warm to room temperature for 1 hour before opening it into the pan, where it will proof for an additional 2 hours.

Can anyone give me some advice on baking temperature and time? (Keep in mind my pan is silver and not black.)  If I don't hear back, I'll probably cook at 500 for about 10 minutes or so (?).

Thanks!   :chef: :pizza:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:28:04 PM by CDNpielover »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #339 on: February 18, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
By the way, I was reading earlier in this thread where Pete mentioned that this style of pizza seems to be found only around Boston, and that he's never seen it anywhere else.  Well, I guess Peter has never been to Calgary before!   :chef:  Greek-style pizza is ubiquitous here.  I don't know if it's the same exact thing that you find in Boston, however everyone calls it "Greek-style," and it looks no different from the pies that have been posted in this thread.  I'll post some pics of pizza from some of the shops in Calgary, perhaps you guys can take a look and let me know how this differs from the Greek-style found in Botston.

http://a2.urbns.pn/w/s/t1/E7NZYs3qTBqUMO-640m.jpg

http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/vEUymOK63JkwQi03I7oWQA/l.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/_yMjOQUkQQanq8IAC3op7w?select=FFKuGMpmYNEu1lRjB6sJjg

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/6d_pYeKBfcLaddFmRTaY2g?select=zQi6QegmdI7157o6o_KnGw