Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 96065 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
Norma,

Thank you for figuring out what thickness factor I now use for the preferment Lehmann dough ball weight.  I wasnít even sure what TF I was using currently.

The 0.11 thickness factor that I mentioned is the value that Steve and I used to make the Greek-style pizza, and is the value I used to calculate the amount of the preferment Lehmann dough you used to make your most recent Greek-style pizza. If you use the 1.095 pounds of dough to make a 16" NY style pizza, the thickness factor is TF = (1.095 x 16)/(3.14159 x 8 x 8) = 0.08714.

Thanks for also finding what size cutter pan or nesting deep-dish pan I could use for my current dough weight.  For right now, I will use the same weight you gave me for my sloping deep-dish pan because I do have 4 sloping deep dish pans.  I use one at market for making Sicilian pizza out of the preferment Lehmann dough, but if I need them, I also can take the other deep-dish pans to market.  If I ever can sell enough Greek-style pizzas (or even take hold), then I might consider getting some new pans.  Do you see any advantage in using a cutter pan instead of a deep-dish pan for the Greek-style pizza?  I donít have any dark cutter pans, I just have aluminum ones.

I used a cutter pan since I had one on hand. My preference would have been to use what the professionals in the Northeast tend to use, which is a fairly shallow straight-sided steel pan (seasoned preferably but an unseasoned one would have been a good start), but I was initially unable to locate one for the short time that I was in Massachusetts. I subsequently was given a small Greek-style pan and it worked well but the PizzaTools PSTK cutter pan seems to be just as good.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Peter,

Now my thickness factor for the NY style pizzas I make at market or lower than what I thought!

Thanks for telling me about your experiences with using a cutter pan.  I also have the steel 18" x 1" seasoned pizza pan at market that I also could try for a Greek-style pizza.  Maybe that would be a better choice to try.  I will see what kind of results I get at market when I try a Greek-style with the preferment Lehmann dough.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
Great looking pizza there, Norma! What brand cheese did you use?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2011, 12:31:47 PM »
Great looking pizza there, Norma! What brand cheese did you use?

Steve,

Thanks!  :)  I am not sure what two cheeses I used.  At the Country Store I just picked up one pack of white cheddar that was shredded and one pack of mozzarella that was also shredded.  I think the cheddar said Lancaster County cheddar on a 5 lb. pack I could have bought. Bigger bags of both cheeses can be purchased at the Country Store, but I really didn't need that much.  I will bring the leftover two cheeses to market to try.  I did use a lot more white cheddar in the mix.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
I made Greek-style pizzas with my preferment Lehmann dough today at market.  I had wanted to try some preferment Lehmann dough with added sugar, but it was supposed to snow or ice this morning, so I didnít make any extra poolish or dough, except two dough balls (that I had scaled from my regular dough) for Greek-style pizzas.  The two Greek-style pizzas did turn out well without added sugar at market.  I even sold both pies in slices and market wasnít busy today because it was really cold and windy.

Pictures below

Norma

Offline lauren819

« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2011, 09:59:24 PM »
Oh my goodness! I'm so excited. I grew up in Bridgewater, MA!!! We used to go to Christo's (I want to take a bath in their Greek salad dressing) and Cape Cod all the time. Now, I live in Maine and can't find Greek style pizza anywhere. I can't wait to make my own. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you to Scott and Kim. You made my life complete. I've been craving "real" pizza for a while. I'm going to make a Christo's Greek. No sauce just lots and lots of cheese. :) My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Offline Markies House of Pizza

« Reply #166 on: March 03, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »
Town Spa! Yes!   Scott -- and wife -- geez, you didn't mention her name -- THANK YOU!

You're right --- always piles and piles of black, oily pans sitting out on the counter --- ahhhhh.

Am buying the pans today -- will keep you posted.  For now, am late for work!

KJ

WOW!  I spent alot of time at Town Spa as a child.  Upstairs in the old place!!
I have been on the West Coast for over 20 years and have had a few spectacular pizza's but nothing like my favorite House Of Pizza style Pizza.
A friend showed me this site - and I found this thread - WooooHooooo!
Pans were picked up yesterday - Dough from Trader Joes - Mozza, Provolone and Tillamook Cheddar. Home made sauce.
500 degree oven for 12 minutes - then rotated and let cook another 3-5 minutes.
I am experimenting with the IN PAN dough rising 1-3 hours... I LOVE experiments!
Here are pics of the trial run.
I need a more authentic cheese taste though.
-mark

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 03, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I have been on the West Coast for over 20 years and have had a few spectacular pizza's but nothing like my favorite House Of Pizza style Pizza.
Pans were picked up yesterday - Dough from Trader Joes - Mozza, Provolone and Tillamook Cheddar. Home made sauce.
I am experimenting with the IN PAN dough rising 1-3 hours... I LOVE experiments!
-mark

Mark,

Your Greek Style pizza looks delicious!   :)

Norma

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #168 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:09 PM »
-mark
I swear I gain 10 pounds every time I log in to this site... all you great artisan cooks are KILLING ME!!!  :-D

Your Greek pie looks friggin gorgeous, Mark.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #169 on: March 03, 2011, 06:13:24 PM »
that looks perfect!  nice char!    Im pretty sure town spa is one of the places using 100% mild white cheddar......1950 brand I think.    Good luck!   

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2011, 06:15:30 PM »
Also, been meaning to add this....

The Linwood cafe and Cape Cod are two of the best places for south shore style bar pizza.   I have noticed both places have just a hint of rosemary in the sauce rather than loads of oregano.   This might be something people trying to duplicate the style might want to try.   

Offline Markies House of Pizza

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
that looks perfect!  nice char!    Im pretty sure town spa is one of the places using 100% mild white cheddar......1950 brand I think.    Good luck!   

Thanks Y'all!
Mild huh?  1950... I'll try it. 
Last night I made 3 pies from 16oz of TJ's dough.  The dough works great every time!
One with pepperoni under the cheese, one with pepperoni on top of the cheese and one Sharp Cheddar only.  The sharp cheddar was a bit greasy!
The char taste like heaven!

Offline mikegl71

« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
This is my version of bar style pizza.  Growing up in Brockton, I lived off of Cape Cod Cafe pizza.  Now that I live in Rhode Island, there is nothing that even compares or comes close to this style of pizza.  So, I worked for quite some time through trial and error to create a pizza that very closely matches the famous Cape Cod Cafe pizza.  I even went as far as buying a couple cases of the 10" cardboard plates..  I believe that some of the taste has to do with the cardboard.  I've put my pizza next to a "Cod" pizza, and my family and friends can't tell or taste a difference.  WIN !

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
Mike... WINNING!!!!

That's beautiful. Truly...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
This is my version of bar style pizza.

mikegl71,

That's a great looking pizza.

Would you mind posting your recipe and related instructions, etc.?

Peter

Offline Cass

« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.
Epictetus

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:08 PM »
oh yeah, looks perfect mike!   What a nice first post!    Did you use milk in the dough?   I know some places do that, not sure if cape cod is one of them.    By the way, I have a cape cod 4 min from my house  >:D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »

mikegl71,

Glad for your win!  ;D  That is a delicious looking Greek pizza.  I also have become fond of Greek style pizzas. 

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »
Nailed it. Tonight's welfare Greek pizza. Thanks scottr for all your help and patience. Baked beans from a can, fried hot dog slices, onion, green pepper and Asadero cheese with the last of my Coco Cola, ketchup BBQ sauce. Superb in it's own way.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
Nailed it. Tonight's welfare Greek pizza. Thanks scottr for all your help and patience. Baked beans from a can, fried hot dog slices, onion, green pepper and Asadero cheese with the last of my Coco Cola, ketchup BBQ sauce. Superb in it's own way.
Don

Don,

Your welfare pizza looks great!  :)  Glad you nailed it.  What is Coco Cola?  Is it something you experimented with?

Norma