Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 96556 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2011, 08:48:37 PM »
Hey,  wanted you all to check out this one from tonight.  Crazy the dough worked out well for this,  it wasn't even meant for it.  BTW Scott,  Just used tomato puree from joseph russos (cento) and a bit of fresh rosemary.  I am not sure if that is what they all do around here too,  or if I remember it from town spa but either way it is really good,  and the burnt cheese is crazy good.  a big bubble formed while baking,  which is why it looks like this.  Next time I would pop it. -marc

buceriasdon

« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
Norma, Thanks, What I hope to achieve is that crust on my Cono de Pizzas though I'm not sure that's possible. Um, Norma, Coca Cola, the most popular drink in Mexico? Mexicans consume more "Coke" per person than anywhere in the world. It's like gallons per person a year. They actually sell it in five liter bottles here. You have to see it to believe it. Remember years ago, Saturday Night Live with Dan and John in the Greek burger place saying cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, no fries,chips, no Coke, only Pepsi!?  :D
Don

Don,

Your welfare pizza looks great!  :)  Glad you nailed it.  What is Coco Cola?  Is it something you experimented with?

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
Marc, What great fun this thread has turned out to be! Your pizza looks positively civilized and delicious. Everyone is to be commended for their efforts and I hope to see more. Opa!!!

hope that's right :P

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #183 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:31 PM »
Remember years ago, Saturday Night Live with Dan and John in the Greek burger place saying cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, no fries,chips, no Coke, only Pepsi!?  :D

Don,

There was a lot of "cheeburger, cheeburger" in that bit: http://www.hulu.com/watch/3533/saturday-night-live-the-olympia-restaurant. Watching that Saturday Night Live skit brought back fond memories.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #184 on: March 13, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »
lol, Yes indeed Peter, a classic from that era. And now I do remember how they did leave out the S in cheeseburger. I thought it tied in well with the title of the thread.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #185 on: March 13, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
Norma, Thanks, What I hope to achieve is that crust on my Cono de Pizzas though I'm not sure that's possible. Um, Norma, Coca Cola, the most popular drink in Mexico? Mexicans consume more "Coke" per person than anywhere in the world. It's like gallons per person a year. They actually sell it in five liter bottles here. You have to see it to believe it. Remember years ago, Saturday Night Live with Dan and John in the Greek burger place saying cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, no fries,chips, no Coke, only Pepsi!?  :D
Don

Don,

Thanks for explaining to me about Coca Cola.  :) I thought you might have come up with some kind of  ketchup sauce with the Coca Cola.  I didn't know in Mexico they drink so much Coke.  :o  I didn't watch that much Saturday Night Live years ago.  I mostly went to bed by 10:00 pm because I had to get up early for work early. 

That video Peter did reference was funny!  It did tie in well with this thread.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
Steve brought two Greek style doughs to market  yesterday.  He call them “Greek gourmet doughs” because he had put Rosemary in the dough.  Steve dressed the pies with his tomato sauce, white cheddar, Feta, and Salami under the cheese.  They were the best Greek Pizzas I have tasted.  :) The crunchy rim was delicious! The combination of the Rosemary in the dough with the dressings tasted wonderful.  I am posting the pictures because they were taken with my camera.  Steve gave me some slices to take home to reheat. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2011, 08:23:42 AM »
rest of pictures

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
Norma and Steve, Thanks for sharing. I just happened on some white cheddar here, I didn't even look at the price, may never see it again, so I bought it. What size are those? 10 or 12"? Steve, you've got it down.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
Norma and Steve,

Those pizzas do look great. I was hoping to be able to show you a typical menu of a pizzeria in Massachusetts that offers many different gourmet Greek pizzas but the pizzeria I had in mind, which I once visited, no longer has a website. But there are many possible toppings combinations for a Greek style pizza.

Can you tell me what size the pizzas were, what kind of pans were used, and what dough recipe was used?

Peter

Offline DannyG

« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2011, 10:37:26 AM »
mikegl71,

That's a great looking pizza.

Would you mind posting your recipe and related instructions, etc.?

Peter

I with Peter in hoping you might share your recipe.
Thanks.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:10 AM »

Can you tell me what size the pizzas were, what kind of pans were used, and what dough recipe was used?

Peter
I second that request. I want to make these. They look awesome.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
Don,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well white cheddar tastes on the Greek style of pie or other kinds of pies.  Steve used steel 10" pans he bought from Bova Foods.  This is where Steve replied to what kind of steel pans he bought at Reply 1 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12180.msg115133.html#msg115133

Peter,

I would be interested in hearing about the different styles of gourmet Greek style pizzas.  I sold my first whole Greek style pie yesterday to one person, but would like to develop my Greek style pizzas more.  My Greek style pie didn’t look as good as Steve’s.  A customers of mine that usually comes in the evening tasted a slice of Steve’s Greek style pizza and really raved about it.  Another customer saw Steve’s gourmet Greek style sitting on the counter and bought a slice and really liked it also.

Steve can direct any members that are interested in what formula he used.  I am not sure on that.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:55:01 AM by norma427 »

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:32 AM »
Don,

I think you will be pleasantly surprised how well white cheddar tastes on the Greek style of pie or other kinds of pies.
I've had it on Detroit style. They put it around the edges of the pie, against the pan. It stands up to the conductive heat better than the mozz is and when it browns, it gets a deliciously beautiful nuttiness.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Ev

« Reply #194 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos Norma, and thanks, everyone, for all the kind words about my pizzas. This is becoming one of my very favorite styles of pizza bringing back fond memories of pizza from my youth. The addition of Rosemary to the dough was a spur of the moment thing that seemed like a good idea. I just poured it into the mixer until it looked like enough. Very unscientific, I know. I really liked the outcome. Next time, I'll keep track of how much for the sake of consistency. I may try other herbs as well. I don't know why, but I like to put the meat toppings under the cheese. There is also a sprinkling of crumbled feta under the cheddar.
 I've tried a few different recipes but the one I keep coming back to is the one Pete-zza posted way back in the 20th post of this thread. All I did was plug it into the Lehmann calculator for a 10 inch pan. My pans are 10 X 1.5 in. "Black Buster", straight sided steel. They have a coating that looks exactly like flat black spray paint, though I'm sure it's not. I got mine from Bova Foods. They have a website but I'm not sure if they have these listed.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
I've had it on Detroit style. They put it around the edges of the pie, against the pan. It stands up to the conductive heat better than the mozz is and when it browns, it gets a deliciously beautiful nuttiness.

Ron,

You are so right.  ;D  The white cheddar does develop the delicious beautiful nuttiness when it is browned on the sides of the pan.  The crunch of the brown cheese is one of the best parts of the Greek style pizza.

No "fuggeddaboudit" from me on this!  :-D  That saying has so many spellings.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #196 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
I would be interested in hearing about the different styles of gourmet Greek style pizzas

Norma,

I will dig out my copy of the menu I mentioned and see if I can find it on the Internet anywhere and, if not, I will describe the options listed in the menu for the gourmet Greek style pizzas.

Peter

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #197 on: March 16, 2011, 01:42:38 PM »
Ron,

You are so right.  ;D  The white cheddar does develop the delicious beautiful nuttiness when it is browned on the sides of the pan.  The crunch of the brown cheese is one of the best parts of the Greek style pizza.

No "fuggeddaboudit" from me on this!  :-D  That saying has so many spellings.

Norma
I don't know about on the Greek pie, but on the Detroit style, the browned cheese is the best part of the slice.

FUGGHEDDABOWDIT!!!

;)  :-D
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
My pans are 10 X 1.5 in. "Black Buster", straight sided steel. They have a coating that looks exactly like flat black spray paint, though I'm sure it's not. I got mine from Bova Foods.

Steve,

"Black Buster" is a designation that I have only seen for products manufactured by Allied Metal, and, as best I can tell, their Black Buster deep-dish pans are made of aluminum and they are tapered: http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/c,list,x,1,70,x/ses_thispage/1/. Are your pans like the ones shown at Allied?

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Steve, I have pans very similar I got here in Mexico, I assume it's a baked ceramic coating. I like them. 7,9, and 11".
Don

pizzapan