Author Topic: Greek pizza  (Read 91467 times)

Offline CDNpielover

Re: Greek pizza
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
I made a pie using Peter's Greek MA#1 formulation from above.  This is my first time making pizza in a pan like this.  The pie turned out well, but not nearly like the visions (of grandeur) that I had going into this haha!   :chef:

I baked at 500 F on a stone on the bottom rack for 7 minutes, and then moved it to the top rack for about 5 minutes more to encourage top browning.  The top looked fairly brown around the edges, but I was afraid that I was overcooking the bottom crust, so I took it out.  Unfortunately, I had WAY TOO MANY toppings, and the pie wasn't cooked as much as I thought it was.  The crust was cooked, but not really browned and certainly not fried.  Next time I am going to put on way less toppings (I've been good lately about being light on the toppings, but I guess I was deceived by the appearance of the pan haha)

Another problem I had was handling the hot pan - it's nearly impossible without one of those special gripper things!  A guy could burn his arm off if he slipped whilst trying to maneouver the heavy pie out of the oven using a slippery pot holder and doller store tongs.   :P

I applied the sauce and cheese to the edge, hoping for a nice carmelized edge.  These did caramelize well, however they just ended up sticking to the side of the pan and didn't make it out with the rest of the pizza.  Does anyone have any tips for avoiding that?  I did oil the pan with olive oil, however it sat for 2 hours while the dough was rising and I'm afraid it ran down the sides.  Next time I'll oil them again before dressing the pizza.

i'll put up some pics later tonight or tomorrow.   :chef:

Offline Ev

« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »
Ok, so I went ahead and made two dough balls with baking powder and club soda.

Flour(KABF)100%
Water        58
IDY           .2
Salt           2.1
Oil(olive)    4
Sugar        1.16
Baking Powder 2.32
Single Ball 289.46g (10 inch)

Unscientifically, I adjusted the numbers in the calculator to more or less come out to even t-spoon type measurements. The water, I split 50/50 tap water and club soda. During the initial mix the dough seemed very dry so I added about 2 tablespoons of water.

The finished pizza was very good, but probably more for the toppings than the dough, which had a tight bread-like crumb. I'm not sure I could taste any difference the club soda and baking powder might have made. I should have made a normal "control" dough and doughs with one new ingredient at a time, to see how each one affected the dough.

Offline Ev

« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention this pie was topped with a thin layer of regular pizza sauce, several dollops of Normas' home-made ricotta, mild white cheddar, sliced hot cappicola and sausage that was removed from it's casing and pre-fried. I think it was Premio brand from Wal-Mart. Pretty darn tasty if you ask me! :P

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:38 PM »
Steve,

That was a great tasting pie you made.  ;)  I thought the crumb and crust tasted different, but just couldn’t decide what it was.  Great job!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Thanks Norma,

Some more details come to mind. This dough was cold fermented approx. 24 hrs. and room temp, pan proofed about 8 hrs, then baked in Normas deck oven about 8-10 minutes. I didn't actually time the bake. I think Normas' oven runs about 525 or so.
 Ok, I just now made a pie with dough ball #2, at home, in my electric kitchen oven at 500 for 10 minutes exactly. This dough was cold fermented 4 days and pan proofed maybe 2 hrs. Toppings were sauce and pepperoni under a combination of sharp white cheddar and mozz. 
 To be honest, I can't discern any difference whatsoever in the crust. Go figure. ???

Offline Ev

« Reply #365 on: March 31, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Here's another I made at Norma's market stand last week.
Garlic Alfredo sauce with sausage, spinach and a three cheese blend of White Cheddar, Yancy's Steakhouse Onion Cheddar and a little mozzarella.

Offline Ev

« Reply #366 on: March 31, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
......and the crumb

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
^^looks awesome!  how do you keep the cheese from sticking to the sides of the pan.  I know the pan is oiled, but doesn't it run down the sides during the pan rise so the sides are essentially unoiled?

Offline Ev

« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:06 PM »
Thanks.
Well, the pan is oiled initially, so I believe there is always a film of oil present. Plus, the cheddar is an oily cheese anyway, so there is some more lubrication built in. Mainly though, i think it's important to use a well seasoned pan.

parallei

« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2012, 05:48:46 PM »
Those sure look tasty Ev.  I have a weakness for white pies!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »
Steve,

That Greek pizza with the unique toppings sure was tasty!  :chef:

Norma

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
Some of the shots on this  page look 100% spot on south shore boston.   Its fun coming back here to this thread to see what you guys have been up to.  Since I moved south of the city and am in greek bar pizza land, I keep finding more and more places than are using eggs and milk in the dough along with flour salt, sugar, and oil.  If anyone feels like experimenting, it does give a nice richness that when combined with the cheddar and slightly fried bottom really do make for an addictive pizza.  It changes the texture of the pizza and makes it a little more dense and crispy, taking on an interesting texture/flavor profile...almost like a soft warm cheeze-it.        
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:44:06 PM by scott r »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #372 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:02 AM »
Scott,

Do you know what kind of formulation to try with eggs, milk, flour, salt, sugar, and oil?  I really like Greek pizzas and would like to experiment more.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #373 on: April 02, 2012, 08:52:10 AM »
At one point, Peter came up with a formula using egg and milk, which I tried, but the amounts were so small that I don't think I could tell a difference. I only ever tried the one experiment. Perhaps I'll revisit the idea of eggs and milk in pizza dough.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #374 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »
I also tried Pete's formulation with eggs, but it was a massive fail for a couple of other reasons.  I should give it another try soon, though.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2012, 10:35:12 AM »
Thanks.
Well, the pan is oiled initially, so I believe there is always a film of oil present. Plus, the cheddar is an oily cheese anyway, so there is some more lubrication built in. Mainly though, i think it's important to use a well seasoned pan.

Ev,

When I tried to make a Greek-style pie, the cheese did brown/carmelize nicely along the side of the pan, but it was a new unseasoned pan and (although I did oil it) the browned cheese just stuck to the inside of the pan when I tried to get the pizza out.  However, after reading your post, I think I will coat the entire thing with oil and season it in the oven before trying a greek style again.  thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Those sure look tasty Ev.  I have a weakness for white pies!

I have a weakness for ... pies!  :-D

I love the look of your Greek pies Steve!

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ev

« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
Last week, I made a couple balls including egg and milk in the formula. These are the results. The first was baked after a 24 hour cold ferment, about 4 hrs room temp and maybe two hrs in the pan, and baked in Norma's deck oven. I'd say the texture was much softer and bread-like than usual. Very rich and creamy, sort of. Very good, though next time, I may try less egg and milk.
The second pie was baked at home 3 days after the first, as a "pan style" rather than a "Greek style". Again, very good. My wife and I really liked it a lot.

Offline Ev

« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:53 AM »
Second Pie

buceriasdon

« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Steve, excellent!
Don

pizzapan