Author Topic: pics of my first attempt  (Read 2700 times)

Offline paulhdi

• I Love Pizza!
pics of my first attempt
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:35:28 PM »
here's my first attempt at a half decent pizza. this was a few weeks ago, but illness and phone problems have delayed my posting of the pics.

The recipe was randy's papa johns recip using measurements given by pete-za, and it was left overnight to ferment.

The base was covered in some BBQ sauce i got from costco, then had mushroom, some BBQ chicken and smoked lightly smoked ham, and topped with mozarella.

It was cooked at 260 C for about 8 minutes on the mesh you can see in the picture. I have since managed to find a pizza screen, so will be trying that out over the coming weekend.

The pizza went down very well, the crust was exactly what i was looking for, although i didnt get any pics as it was eaten by family almost immediately lol

Thanks for looking

Paul
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:39:01 PM by paulhdi »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: pics of my first attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:11:05 PM »
Paul,

Nice job. I was wondering whether you decided to make a PJ clone and how it turned out. Seeing your oval pizza reminded me of a local pizzeria that also makes an oval pizza. In fact, their motto is "Never trust a round pizza".

I know that Papa John's is in the UK and that you may have already tried one of their pizzas, but if you would like to take a stab at accurately replicating their "original" pizza, you might take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.0.html. Your Allinson flour should work fine with the recipes I posted, and with your new screen you should be able to get the correct size (14") also. I believe that in the UK the 14" pizza is considered Extra Large. In the U.S., the 14" pizza is considered "medium". If your screen is of a different size, it is possible to modify the recipes I posted to fit whatever size screen you have. It's up to you. Randy's recipe is a good one. Some may even like Randy's PJ clone better than the real thing.

From my research, it appears that Papa John's is trying to use the same philosophy abroad as it does in the U.S. in terms of using fresh dough and quality fresh-pack tomatoes and other ingredients. In the UK, the fresh-pack tomatoes come from Portugal.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:25:04 PM by Pete-zza »