Author Topic: Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce???  (Read 16765 times)

Offline Jackitup

Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce???
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has tried this sauce and any good or bad experiences with it. Just bought a #10 can of it at Sam's Club for $3.38. Price is right so figured what the heck, for the price of a beer it's worth a try.
Thanks,
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Kemosa

Re: Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:31:29 PM »
This is very good sauce.  It's a bit thicker than I prefer, so I add a little water.  The taste is fresh and well seasoned..and at a nice price. 

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:06 AM »
My personal favorite of the prepared sauces.  There's something about it that makes me want to eat it by the spoonful right out of the can. 

The texture and flavor are definitely unique, but it is very good.

---Guy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:20:22 AM by PizzaBrewer »
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »
Thanks guys, can't wait to give it a try. The wife and I are having the family style, husband and wife butt party monday morning (colonoscopy :o) so after a day and a half of not eating I think a big fat pizza will fit the bill just fine ;-)
Jon

Offline Park.Pizza

• Salute
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:38:51 PM »
Even though this is a dated post, I'd like to add my comments. I've been using Pepino's sauce for three years now. My favorite to use on par-bakes.

Tim
Throw me a slice, won't ya

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
I'll go for the dated post as well, I liked the don pepino its available locally and at penn mac.com I try em all I like the casa visco also only at 1  local market here in nj. I would rather make the dough than the sauce so I buy as many pre madesa as possible to test the flavor. keep the sauce handy!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
[ I am new and stupid (ut putting out some great pies from the brick oven) whats a par bake?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:39 PM »
[ I am new and stupid (ut putting out some great pies from the brick oven) whats a par bake?

JConk007,

See the section Parbaked and Pre-baked Crust at http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/02_On-site_vs_RTU/02_on-site_vs_RTU.htm#_Toc530971772.

Peter

EDIT (2/1/2013): For an alternative Correll link, see http://web.archive.org/web/20040405161740/http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/02_On-site_vs_RTU/02_on-site_vs_RTU.htm
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:33:12 PM by Pete-zza »

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »
Thanks Pete
Thats what I thought, No par bake for my brick oven. I am turned on to Caputo now!  Steve put up a few pics on the photo posting section for me of my oven. I still cant post photos, getting message that file is to large
oh well still frustraded but still trying.
John

Offline candyman

• I Love Pizza!
    • Morgia's Pizza & More
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:40 AM »
I know this is an old topic... but I'll hit it anyways.

This is probably the best overall pre-made sauce in a can that you can buy.  It has a very nice fresh tomato taste and can easily be used for many different applications.  I use this sauce as a base for my pizza adding only a little Olive Oil and a tablespoon of Penzey's Pizza Seasoning. Also, straight out of the can it is fantastic as a dipping sauce for about anything... and great on veal parm.  Love this sauce.

I believe we could have world peace if someone could make enough Pizza and supply enough Beer for Everyone!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 04:20:42 AM »
The Sam's around me in MN stopped carrying the Don Pepino's so I went for their commercially prepared sauce that their pizzeria/cafe gets. It's as good as Don Pepino's if not better. Great basic sauce and I doctor it up with some parm, pizza seasonings, gran garlic and some Sambuca, absolutely love it. A lot of sauce and if I remember right about 24 bucks for the whole case. I break it all down and freeze in 2 cup batches in ziplock freezer bags and freeze flat in the freezer. I do my soups like this and they are good up to a couple years with no off taste. Also a great base for spaghetti sauce and such, and like I said....the price is great.
Jon

SAM’S CLUB
DELUX PIZZA SAUCE
6-112oz pouches

Packaged exclusively for Sam’s Club
Bentonville AR 72712
By Kagome Inc         (here’s the website:  www.kagomeusa.com)

Ingredients:
Tomato paste, tomatoes, water, Contains 2% or less of, high fructose syrup, modified food starch, romano cheese(contains cow’s milk), salt, spices, parmesan cheese(contains cow’s milk), citric acid, garlic, onion powder and natural flavor

Offline jrusso

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »
My favorite as well but it keeps going up in price.  Unbelievably delicious, fresh-tasting sauce with very few ingredients.  I like it better than any sauce I've ever made, and if Whole Foods carries it, it must also be "healthy."  I got a case for $20 (24-15 oz. cans) in late summer but the price has since gone up to $30 (Rosa Food Distributors, Philadelphia).  Still, not a bad deal as it sells for $1.69-$1.99 a can, and it's often out of stock at two places where I get it.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
I'm still experimenting with sauces, and of the pre-mades Don Pepino's has been the best so far.  Just the right balance of sweet and acid, and not much spice or salt if you want a neutral sauce.  I like a spicier sauce, but I just crank it open, throw in some garlic and spices, and stir it up in the can.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline wingman

• twas ever thus
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
I have been using Don Pepino for 15 + years.
When I don't make my own sauce, this is what I use.
I have over 30 years in the food industry as a chef and food scientist,and Have tried every commercial sauce that I have seen.
This is still my go to sauce.
It is a great base for building an excellent pie.

Offline Rick Iverson

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Jon;

Just happened to notice you are from the Metro.  And you are most correct, Red's Savoy's garbage pizze is THE best!!

The Sam's around me in MN stopped carrying the Don Pepino's so I went for their commercially prepared sauce that their pizzeria/cafe gets. It's as good as Don Pepino's if not better. Great basic sauce and I doctor it up with some parm, pizza seasonings, gran garlic and some Sambuca, absolutely love it. A lot of sauce and if I remember right about 24 bucks for the whole case. I break it all down and freeze in 2 cup batches in ziplock freezer bags and freeze flat in the freezer. I do my soups like this and they are good up to a couple years with no off taste. Also a great base for spaghetti sauce and such, and like I said....the price is great.
Jon

SAM’S CLUB
DELUX PIZZA SAUCE
6-112oz pouches

Packaged exclusively for Sam’s Club
Bentonville AR 72712
By Kagome Inc         (here’s the website:  www.kagomeusa.com)

Ingredients:
Tomato paste, tomatoes, water, Contains 2% or less of, high fructose syrup, modified food starch, romano cheese(contains cow’s milk), salt, spices, parmesan cheese(contains cow’s milk), citric acid, garlic, onion powder and natural flavor

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
Does Don Pepino's use only New Jersey tomatoes? I really like their Sclafani puree & crushed tomatoes.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
Does Don Pepino's use only New Jersey tomatoes? I really like their Sclafani puree & crushed tomatoes.

Yes.  All of their product lines, Don Pepino, Sclafani, and Violet, use only New Jersey tomatoes.  I've been using Don Pepino Pizza Sauce exclusively and I love it.

Tony

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
Thanks, AJ! Now I can proudly advertise that I make my pizza sauce, using only "Jersey Tomatoes".

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 12:39:52 PM »
I found Don Pepino's web site & asked them if the the sell  cash & carry, single cases. I also asked if they used Jersey tomatoes. They sent a prompt reply:

"Good afternoon!

Thank you for your interest in our products.  We do sell the #10 cans by the case, there are 6 cans per case.  However, we do not sell them from our facility in Williamstown, NJ.  We are the manufacturing plant.  We are not set-up with a store front.  You can purchase the #10 cases from us by contacting us at 856-629-7428.  We would ship the case to you via Fedex, so you would have the shipping charge.  And, yes all of our tomatoes are grown in New Jersey.

Thank you.

Jackie Evans

Violet Packing

Home of Don Pepino

856-629-7428"

Online JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:40:31 AM »
Yesterday I Purchased DP @$1.29 a can at my local Shoprite in Ramsey NJ.  You can not beat this product ! LOVE it!! straight from even as a base for a fancier sauce. I did not know they were Jersey tomatoes. Also available here Jersey Fresh crushed topmatoes for the deep dish Highly Rated on this site also. Scalfani are also waiting in the pizza cabinet  :o
 "Freedom of Choice!"
John
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:45:59 AM by JConk007 »