Author Topic: Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce???  (Read 17554 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Don Pepino's Pizza Sauce???
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:54:44 AM »
hey john - we just finished up the ciao... thanks a lot!  had a pizza party for super bowl and made lots of pasta sauce also.

crazybob...   I have some additional info which may or may not be correct.  I believe I do have access to all of this stuff - so if anyone wants it, I can ship at cost.

Our Sclafani crushed tomatoes are the New Jersey grown tomatoes but our
whole peeled tomatoes are brought in from Ohio.
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 07:56:39 AM »
Thanks, AJ! Now I can proudly advertise that I make my pizza sauce, using only "Jersey Tomatoes".

you blew up my marketing angle secret  :chef:

I thought that this would be a big hit, especially BEING in NJ... and at a pizzeria (doesn't exist yet) geared towards local and organic products.

of course now there is this new thing about canned tomatoes leeching BPA from the cans or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 07:58:24 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:08 AM »
Pat,
I still have 2 cans of Ciao, ersasmo does not know what hes missing by not getting me a shipping label ? I like that angle on the NJ tomatoes !
AMono has another event coming but I will be skiing in Park City  :'(
well not the worst option.
any luck with the KASL?
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
you blew up my marketing angle secret 

I thought that this would be a big hit, especially BEING in NJ... and at a pizzeria (doesn't exist yet) geared towards local and organic products.

Sorry, I let the cat out of the bag.. :D. I only live in South Jersey during the winter now. My concession stand is near Williamsport, PA. Folks up there mostly eat OIP, or Pudgies pizza. ..And the big three chains, ofcourse.

I bought some 28 oz.cans of Sclafani (puree & crusted), yesterday for 1.29 @ my local "Eatmor" market.  I see that Tri-City Products, in Vineland, NJ, is selling #10 cases of crushed tomatoes for 18.50. The puree is 20.90/cs.

I'm going to email Don Pepino again to get a price list.

Offline rob430

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
Hi, I've been reading this thread and found it very helpful. I was at Sam's Club yesterday and noticed they discontinued the Contidina line and brought in Don Pepinos Sauces. I got a few cans of the pizza sauce to try (#10) and it was very inexpensive . We use a lot of sauce for "gravy" and pizza. The "spaghetti sauce' was more expensive and just had more spices and oil in it which, I can do to the pizza sauce. I live in NJ also!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »
Rob,
I have seen the pasta sauce but never tried it You say it is acceptable? Yes the prices are reasonable the Don Pep is $1.29 for Pizza sauce and next to it is the same size Muir Glen  organic for like $3.59 double! ???
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline ThunderStik

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »
I need to try some of this stuff. My sauce is a really weak link in my pie making, partially because of time but equally because its hard to find good ingredients around here.  :'(
I KNOW MORE ABOUT PIZZA THAN ANYBODY!!!!!!!

(in my house)

Offline rob430

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010, 05:36:43 PM »
My friend suggested I use crushed tomatoes on my pizza dough but I disagree as they are to watery for pizza, IMO. I can't wait to try the Don Pepino's pizza sauce. It will be way to much but as one poster suggested, freezing it in plastic bags which I do with my soups and homemade breads. Maybe I'll make a pot of pasta fagoli when I open the can. I haven't tried any Don Pepino's products yet, first time. I will let you know.

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »
I actually add some water to get the consistancy of paint. I mix 1 can of crushed, 1 can of puree, my spices, & olive oil. It's better if I refridgerate it overnight in a plastic container.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
Rob,
I have seen the pasta sauce but never tried it You say it is acceptable?

I find the Don Pepino Spaghetti Sauce to be the best sauce ever made.  I know that is a bold statement but it is just my opinion.  I do add my additional spices and a touch of olive oil to it though.  It is definitely worth trying if you haven't yet.

Tony

Offline rob430

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:50 PM »
Has anyone tried both the spaghetti and pizza sauce? I tried comparing ingredients on the can, the spaghetti sauce only having onion powder extra. I wonder how they differ. It will be a while before I will have opened both cans.

Offline AJ72

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »
Has anyone tried both the spaghetti and pizza sauce? I tried comparing ingredients on the can, the spaghetti sauce only having onion powder extra. I wonder how they differ. It will be a while before I will have opened both cans.

I use both regularly.  They both have that nice bright color and fresh tomato taste.  However, they are spiced differently.  I find the Pizza sauce to have a more basil-y taste suited for pizza, but the spaghetti sauce to have a more neutral taste and more balanced overall making it a more universal base and suitable for other dishes like chicken parm.  Unlike my pizza sauce, I do like my spaghetti sauce heavily spiced.  Therefore, I like to throw in some extra garlic, spices, wine, and some olive oil.  I like the pizza sauce on pizza but like the spaghetti sauce for everything else.

Offline Steve973

• I love brewing beer and making pizza!
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
To me, Don Pepino's doesn not provide an authentic flavor.  It seems more like chunky pasta sauce in my estimation.  I know that some people enjoy it, and I don't have anything against that.  It's definitely not for me, though.
"Right here, right now, from the very beginning, there is only one thing. Constantly clear and unexplained, having never been born and having never died, it cannot be named or described." - Zen Master So Sahn

pizzapan