Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 152870 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2120 on: October 12, 2014, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi, Norma,

Do you use the pre-seasoned pans from Detroit Style Pizza or do you buy unseasoned ones?  If unseasoned, how do you season them and how many times do you have to bake in them before they become non-stick?

Gene

Gene,

Most of my steel pans were from the Detroit Style Pizza Company and were preseasoned.  I still had to season them more when they arrived so the pies would not stick around the edges where the cheese melts.  Some members say they don't need to season their pans after seasoning some after they get them.  I do season from time to time because the edges when the cheese browns sometimes wants to stick when the pizza is baked.  Maybe I have to season more than other members because I used them weekly.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2121 on: October 12, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
Gene,

Most of my steel pans were from the Detroit Style Pizza Company and were preseasoned.  I still had to season them more when they arrived so the pies would not stick around the edges where the cheese melts.  Some members say they don't need to season their pans after seasoning some after they get them.  I do season from time to time because the edges when the cheese browns sometimes wants to stick when the pizza is baked.  Maybe I have to season more than other members because I used them weekly.

Norma

Hi, Norma,

That's the problem I keep having:  cheese sticks to the side of the pan.  But when I watch Detroit style pizza videos on Youtube, the pizza always just slides out.  I have no idea how they do it.

When you season, what do you season with and how long do you bake the empty pan and at what temperature?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2122 on: October 12, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Hi, Norma,

That's the problem I keep having:  cheese sticks to the side of the pan.  But when I watch Detroit style pizza videos on Youtube, the pizza always just slides out.  I have no idea how they do it.

When you season, what do you season with and how long do you bake the empty pan and at what temperature?

Gene,

My Detroit style pizzas normally slide right out too.  If they start the stick a little I season again.  I just put my steel pans in my deck oven and let them there until I can see the shortening is baked on.  I bake at about 525-545 degrees F. 

The bakery shortening I used is MFB (Made for Baking) Blue Bakery Shortening.  I requested a sample at http://www.conagrafoodservice.com/ProductDetail.do?productUpc=2700073651 and was given a 50 lb. sample of the MFB.  The ConAgra rep came to my pizza stand and brought it to me. 

If you want me to take a photo of how my steel pans look, I can take a photo tomorrow while I am at market.  I have some bigger steel pans from Detroit Style Pizza Company that I don't use right now.  I you want me to take a photo of them I can too.  Some of them really aren't seasoned enough, or either from sitting on top of my deck oven they started to unseason. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2123 on: October 13, 2014, 04:31:32 PM »
Gene,

Is case you are interested in seeing what two of my 8Ēx10Ē steel pans looked like today, these are two photos of two different steel pans.  Both of them do not stick when taking the Detroit style pizzas out of the pan but the second one soon needs seasoned again.  The photos are of the sides of the pans.

Crisco could be used to season the steel pans.

Norma