Author Topic: Coal Fired: Woodstone vs. Earthstone  (Read 3219 times)

Offline incendio

Coal Fired: Woodstone vs. Earthstone
« on: July 12, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
I am looking in to a coal-fired concept and have a question regarding the best oven. I have narrowed my options to the Earthstone and the Woodstone versions, but there is a significant price difference between the two ($15,000). Although the Woodstone does seem to have a few more bells and whistles (additional gas burner for example), I was wondering if anybody has used these in practice, and if there seems to be a preference of one over the other? Thank you.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Coal Fired: Woodstone vs. Earthstone
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
My research has shown me that Woodstone is more for show than performance. I was told by Woodstone that the home based unit takes 4 hours to heat up to 550 degrees. Huh? Made no sense as to why I would want to buy that oven.

A local branch of a gourmet market has one in the deli, big gas flames burning all the time in the back of the oven and some sickly looking pizza sitting out in the display case. No thanks.

I realize you are talking commercial, but you might want to research some other alternatives. A local highly respected restaurant Kens Artisan Pizza uses La Paynol. Look at this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6730.0.html for some recent thoughts as well. The distributor in the US for those ovens has provided me with the most detailed info and assistance in finding a contractor who would do the install for me. None of the other companies have done any follow up based upon my early inquiries nor did they provide any assistance in finding a contractor/mason.

Good luck - what part of the country are you in?

PNW