Author Topic: The Ultimate Pizza Manual  (Read 7429 times)

Offline MWTC

The Ultimate Pizza Manual
« on: July 12, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
Has anyone studied this book?

If I read the description correctly I think its only 44 pages long.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0980034655/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
Re: The Ultimate Pizza Manual
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
I bought this book from Amazon.  Yes, it is only 44 pages long, but it goes into exhaustive detail all of the minutiae of making a GOOD  18" NY style pizza.   Where most "cookbooks" will put a pizza recipe on 1-2 pages, this expands it into 44 pages.  Every little tiny subtle detail of every aspect of pizza prep is covered, and there are pictures for everything.  Think of it as a comic book with photographs.

The author tells about weighing the dough ingredients, but he does things differently than I have learned here.  He HEATS the mixer bowl, then whisks in the DRY ingredients, then adds warm water.  (which is the reverse of what I do; I add flour to cold water, mix, autolyze for 20 minutes, add yeast and oil, then knead for 8 minutes).  He skips the autolysis and instead kneads for a full 20 minutes, then rises for two hours.  He then recommends 8-24 hours retardation in the fridge.  He recommends high gluten flour PLUS semolina, SAF instant yeast, and adds sugar to the mix as well.   

He preps the pizza on a screen suspended over the kitchen sink to allow the excess semolina flour (used this time not as an ingredient, but to aid handling the dough) to fall off.  He docks the dough, dresses with olive oil, and a sauce using Red Pack puree, water, bouillion cubes, and herbs.

He bakes at 475 on a screen for 7-8 minutes.  Again, no detail is omitted; he illustrates placement of the screen in the oven, how to place the rack, etc.

I have not tried the technique yet (It's July and I am making pizzas in my Forno), but in my opinion, this book has been needed for years.  It is short on theory, but it gives enough details, subtle nuances, tips and tricks to avoid all the pitfalls of all the hundreds of useless "make pizza at home" DIY recipes.   It is not just another book on how to make "any" pizza.  It targets how to specifically make a certain kind of NY-style that closely approximates, if not duplicates, the "pizza by the slice" you get in NYC.

Most of us here know how to make great pizza already, but I highly recommend this informative and fascinating picture book.  It's short enough to read in a few minutes.

(Of course, I would not dare recommend that it replace This Hallowed Website, which is the Oracle of all Pizza Wisdom.)
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline CCinNJ

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »
I have been "around" this board, for a while, because I LOVE pizza. I just felt really intimidated about making pizza. So, I wanted to pick up a book that would hold my hand, while making pizza. This book covers it all, step-by-step. As through and detailed as it is, the author never comes across as this is "pizza for dummies". I think any/every level of pizza maker would benefit from this book. I made pizza this past weekend, and it was awesome!! Authentic NYC style pizza, that used to be found, in many pizzerias. No more. So I really value the things this book has taught me.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:23 AM »
I agree with both of you, Fio and CCinNJ. Great book. Very good for all levels of pizza maker. Great for the beginner.

One thing that I got from the book was the use of Heinz catchup in the pizza sauce. I am using a version of RedNovember's Pizza Sauce and if you lightly coat the dough with Heinz catchup then add the pizza sauce on top of it, its amazing, it really takes a leap in the quality of the pizza. Love it.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline Scot

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 01:53:08 AM »
I just ordered this book today. I have been trying to make ny style pizza for almost a year now I have made some good pizza's but not exactly what I would call authentic ny pizza. I really hope this book does it for me.

Offline Scot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:41:11 PM »
Has anyone made the pizza from this book yet? If yes please give a quick review. I have the book I am waiting for some tools for Christmas before I attempt making this pie hopefully it's as good as I hope it is. 

Offline FirePie

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
I just received my copy of The Ultimate Pizza Manual yesterday from Amazon.com. I must have read it cover to cover at least eight times since it arrived. It sounds AWESOME!! While this 44-page manuscript goes into great detail on everything from recommended equipment, formula and ingredients right down to brand names I was just a bit surprised that Mr. Brunaldo didn't specify which brand or type of mozzarella he uses. Only a minor hiccup though. I also bought the book eager to discover his ultimate sauce recipe, expecting to find something foreign in pizza making, which I found: Asian chili paste!! Mr. Brunaldo also recommends as optional ingredients three Wyler's brand chicken bouillon cubes and 1/8 cup Heinz ketchup. My anticipation to try this recipe is overwhelming. Can't wait to find out what real NYC pizza is all about!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:17:41 PM by FirePie »