Author Topic: Got a question on weight pizza dough recipe  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Y-TOWN

Got a question on weight pizza dough recipe
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:43:43 PM »
I have always been a cup and measuring spoon guy when it comes to making pizza dough - I've had some success with that method. Most of the folks here utilized weight, so I thought I'd give it a try.

My scale is a cheap weight watchers spring deal but was new and available.

Here is the recipe a buddy gave me which I had full intention of making. I backed some of the weights off during the process as I was weighing each ingredient and then using a spoon and cups to see the relationship between weight (new for me) and the old cup and spoon method I've used for years.

30 oz flour
16 oz water
  2 oz oil - no problem up to this point - all looked good to my old eyes

Here are the rest of the ingredients by weight. I backed off some after I weighed them and transferred them to measuring spoons as they fell way out of my normal spoon measurements for pizza dough.

1/2 oz salt
1/2 oz sugar
1/2 oz fast dry yeast

I thought this recipe had way too much salt and a lot of yeast (I typically use 2 Pyrex glass cups of flour to the 4 cup mark with one packet of fast rise yeast and 1.5 tsp. salt)

The salt came up to 3 teaspoons after I transferred it from the scale to the measuring spoons. The scale reported a full packet of yeast at about 1/4 oz.

Can someone take a look at this recipe and tell me if it should make reasonable pizza dough - or if I should get a digital scale because I think the one I have is not working well?

Thanks  :chef:

I also have the bakers percentages as he gave them to me

30 oz flour          100.0%
16 oz water         53.3%
  2 oz oil               6.6%
1/2 oz salt            1.6%
1/2 oz sugar         1.6%
1/2 oz rapid yeast  1.6%

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:52:45 PM by Y-TOWN »

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Got a question on weight pizza dough recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »
I have used this exact formula many times when making pizza.....When given a 24 hour slow rise in the refrigerator, it develops a great taste and texture....Plus it is very easy to work with when given an hour +- to come to room temperature.
One of the major pluses is that it can be used up to 4 days later.  I personally like this formula very much...while not my absolute favorite, it does rank very high on my list. ;D
Buffalo

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »
Buffalo, thanks for the reply,

I backed off the salt thinking the dough would be too salty to eat and used only 1.5 tsp instead of the 3 tsp that recipe calls for (again weighing then transferring to measuring spoons for my own comparison purposes).

I have come to the conclusion I need to put the measuring spoons away and go to the scale for better consistency.

Does anyone care to comment on what is the "typical" table salt weight for (say) 30 oz of flour in other pizza dough recipes members have used where you can taste the salt in the dough, but that is not all you can taste?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:51:38 AM by Y-TOWN »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
Does anyone care to comment on what is the "typical" table salt weight for (say) 30 oz of flour in other pizza dough recipes members have used where you can taste the salt in the dough, but that is not all you can taste?

Richard,

The amount of salt can be a matter of personal taste. However, the number that Tom Lehmann seems to quote most for salt is 1.75%. That falls within the roughly 1.5-2% range that is frequently cited for bread dough. At 1.75%, the salt would come to 0.525 oz. for 30 ounces of flour. That converts to about 2 5/8 t. of salt (table salt).

Peter

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 09:14:45 AM »
Thanks guys -

Now I have some basic guidelines -  I am thinking the weight watchers spring scale is OK but I also have a Pelouze PE5R digital with a decent sized platform I purchased years ago for postage which I never thought of using for pizza. It has a tare button and measures in 0.1 oz increments. I'm thinking it will work decently for pizza dough component measurements.  I'm done with the spoon and cup measuring system for dough - the weight just seems more simple and should be more consistant.

Offline zalicious

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »
I only weigh my flour & water,& use my spoons for everything else. To me, it seems like a lot of work to weigh out the tiny ingredients. I'll have to try it one of these days & see if I like it better. But anyway, I posted to give you this:

.125 = 1/8t
.25   = 1/4t
.375 = 3/8t
.5    = 1/2t
.625 = 5/8t
.75   = 3/4t
.875 = 7/8t

I wrote this on an index card & keep it in my recipe binder. It's useful when you print out the recipes from the dough calculators. It's not exact, such as when the recipe might say .83tsp, but then I just do a scant or rounded measurement with my measuring spoons.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:55:58 AM by zalicious »

Offline Y-TOWN

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:46:56 AM »
Zalicious

Thanks for the conversion chart - I printed it out and will try it