Author Topic: $3 stone and mostly local ingredients  (Read 2182 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
$3 stone and mostly local ingredients
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
Picked up a 14.5x18.5x half inch thick or so stone while driving by a garage sale... I was really just about to order a Fibrament but feeling guilty.  I asked the owners curious to see if they were pizza making enthusiasts but they were just selling for a friend
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: $3 stone and mostly local ingredients
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
Garlic and tomatoes from the local farmer's market.  We have really been enjoying just putting slices tomatoes on the pizza, with a sprinkle of coarse salt on top.  Not sure what kind of tomatoes, but they are fresh!  Basil from the backyard...
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »
The kitchen is still a work in progress but we are already enjoying it.   :chef:
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
I never do too well with the pictures.  Not enough light I think.  I hate to use the flash.  Maybe when we get the recessed lighting installed they will come out better... 

Cheese is a mere 3oz of "Nature's Promise" organic whole milk mozzarella.  The pizza was King Arthur bread flour with 60% spring water and 2.5% sea salt and maybe 0.25% Instant dry yeast in the fridge for 2 days, then out on the counter for 3 hours.

I have been trying this with some decent results: Put the pizza on the stone for a few minutes (3?) and then slide it on the rack immediately underneath the stone to give the top some radiant heat.  In this instance the bottom is a bit too done and the top could use a touch more, but I think  putting the pizza underneath more quickly could solve that.  Total bake time 5 minutes.

It is clear to me that with a proper oven one could really make a wonderful pizza. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:31:48 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »
PC,

Looks like you had fun making the pizza, though, as it is evident by beer on the counter!  ;D

Pizza looks great, btw.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jaysus

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
GB the Prima Pils!!

Offline Arj

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 04:24:08 AM »
I never do too well with the pictures.  Not enough light I think.  I hate to use the flash.  Maybe when we get the recessed lighting installed they will come out better... 

Cheese is a mere 3oz of "Nature's Promise" organic whole milk mozzarella.  The pizza was King Arthur bread flour with 60% spring water and 2.5% sea salt and maybe 0.25% Instant dry yeast in the fridge for 2 days, then out on the counter for 3 hours.

I have been trying this with some decent results: Put the pizza on the stone for a few minutes (3?) and then slide it on the rack immediately underneath the stone to give the top some radiant heat.  In this instance the bottom is a bit too done and the top could use a touch more, but I think  putting the pizza underneath more quickly could solve that.  Total bake time 5 minutes.

It is clear to me that with a proper oven one could really make a wonderful pizza. 

your pizza looks very good.......but maybe you could cook it a little more.....(in Italian "un pò di più", forgive my poor english!)
However it makes me hungry! ::)

Arj