Author Topic: New 00 in town  (Read 5373 times)

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
New 00 in town
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
Hey all,  just got my latest issue of Pizza Today in the mailbox,  open the front cover and here it is.
  http://www.romafood.com/ad_inline.cfm 
I am assuming that noone has tried it yet,  but I'll be sure to try and find it.  Why not?

Theres an article in here called better with age,  about dough as well.

be good -marc
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:57:26 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: New 00 in town
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:45:35 PM »
Yes, let us know how you like it.

The claims in the ad about it's popularity in Italy should be taken with a grain of salt. There is plenty of bad pizza in Italy.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »
I thought Caputo was the most popular flour in the Italian pizza industry? Am I missing something?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:17 PM »
I thought Caputo was the most popular flour in the Italian pizza industry? Am I missing something?

Pizza in Naples and pizza in other parts of Italy can be very different. I had some truly unforgettably delicious stuff in Liguria called "pizza", but it was more like what we call foccacia. I doubt they were using Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour - much cooler ovens, much longer baking times.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:09:34 PM »
Bill,

I used to play soccer back in Germany with a couple of Italian guys and they used to say that with a few exceptions most pizze in Italy are horrible. I had a hard time believing it at that time but the point they made was that there are simply so many pizza joints around, that it is hard to find a truly great one.

To this day, I don't know if that's true, because the few times I went to Italy I never experienced a bad one. But then again, I didn't have the knowledge about pizza I have today, which would probably put everything into a different perspective.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline shango

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
Link doesn't work for me, what is the brand name?
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:47:34 AM »
Shango,  looks like there site is having problems right now.  It is simply called ROMA formula 00.  Hows your place doing btw?  -marc

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »
There are literally hundreds of flour mills in Italy producing a mind boggling array of choices of flour.Grand Molini Italiani I believe is the largest and hold 23% of the Domestic market for Industry production.Roma is a USA distributor to Commercial restaurants,and the "OO" flour they are selling under their own Brand is said to be "Developed in cooperation with the leading flour producer in Italy",so I'm guessing it may be from GMI?I don't think Roma sells at retail,so you will need to find a way around that if you are not in the business.It is also stated to be "100% Italian Soft Wheat Flours".As you know there is a lot of difference between '00' Flour characteristics both in flavor and handling,so I don't expect this to be any different.I think there are good reasons why Caputo has the Lions share in Naples and when you taste the pizza you'll understand.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
Had a chat with my Vistar rep today, the Roma flour will be on the market in August...but he is sending me a sample bag to try out...according to him, a 55 pound bag will sell for just over $29.00.  We'll see!!

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:25:54 PM »
Got my flour today...55 pound bag came in at $29.14.  The flour comes from the Molino Iaquone mill if that means anything to anyone

John

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
john,  thats a decent price if its any good....  let us see the results will you?  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
John, That's the flour that Shango was preferring to caputo at one point.  Should be nice!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:00:28 AM »
Here is my very first experience with the Roma 00 flour.  I've made a 70 percent hydration dough, fermented at room temp for 24 hours and then refrigerated.  This is a dough that was refrigerated for 2 days...I only had access to my deck oven for this experiment, but the pizza was divine!!
John

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of Caputo vs. Poselli?  I think our last invoice for Caputo was $39 for a 25k bag through the US distributor.  We have a relationship with a group of Italian importers that can get us Poselli for $27 per 25k bag.  I like the brand panache of Caputo - but the pricing is starting to make my hair hurt.

Any thoughts?  Has anyone field-tested Poselli??

Jay

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 02:00:49 PM »
I had pizza made with poselli in Naples, and it was my favorite!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:02 PM »
Ok, here is test #2.  Dough is 64% water, 3% salt, pinch yeast, flour.  Fermented room temp 16 hours...then refrigerated.  This piece was refrigerated about 75 hours.  Cooked in a 2 stone oven at about 700 degrees.  This is the easiest pizza I have ever made, and I'm absolutely in love with the texture of this pizza....I'm a novice, but I know what I like!!

John

Offline roberto60

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
Never tried the Poselli, but I know of the flour.  The reason Caputo has the market share is because it is really the best.  That means not just quality, but as pizzeria operator we need consistency which caputo gives more than anyone else.  I know family, and they buy best quality wheat available to maintain always best consistency.  I know friend in west coast who bought full container from other supplier to save money, but after a few weeks there was problem and they got stuck with whole container. Producer did not take responsability.  I think if you buy whole container price is cheaper for any flour so you should compare container price of both items.  I've gone around country training differnet people for pizza napoletana and always using caputo.  Everywhere I went dough was always coming same whether san diego, miami, new york or even toronto.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »
I just realized that we are all spelling it wrong.  It's Polselli, not Poselli.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline FirePie

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »
Has anybody heard of or used the King Arthur Flour Company's Italian-Style Flour? It has virtually the same properties of Caputo- and pretty much all other brands of Italian 00 Type flour sold online. It has a protein level of only 8.5%, making it an ideal flour for making a vera pizza napoletana. I've never gotten a chance to use either of the two, unfortunately. I've had to make do lately with Hecker's Unbleached All-Purpose Flour for making pizza, but the result is fine. I'm technically a novice pizzaiolo, but I am in touch with what constitutes a truly marvelous pizza.

I learned from Jeff Varasano's blog on NY pizza that the best way to duplicate the effects of a brick oven is to use the auto-cleaning cycle of my electric model. This wouldn't be a problem for me, except that I'm unsure of how to remove the lock on the oven door without the electronics reporting an error. If anybody has ever used this method in a home convention oven, please guide me in taking the necessary steps to accomplish this task. Only then will I be able to make judgements on my own formulae and possibly improve on my technique.

pizzapan