Author Topic: A Place to Vent  (Read 2890 times)

Offline MWTC

A Place to Vent
« on: July 16, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
How about a spot on the forum to vent. We all know that at times things get a little tense and fights break out. Why not have and area where the conflict can continue and not spoil the thread that the fight breaks out in. I bet it would be a very popular area that members would like to visit on a regular basis. Its sometimes fun to watch a fight and sometimes fun to participate in. Things could be learned and the air could be cleared.

I know Pete-zza is to civil to allow this type of area but it would be a very interesting and a lot of laughs would be produced. Pete-zza, the "link master" could cite where we last heard from a certain member and what fight ended that members participation in the forum. Interesting and informative as well as entertaining. It could be a restricted area for members only.

Just a thought, I bet it won't fly. Probally not an original idea.

MWTC  :chef:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:09:19 PM by MWTC »

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: A Place to Vent
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »
I hang out on IHUB an investment site. They have the Jailhouse where people are sent if they are a bit too exuberant or breaking the obvious rules of engagement.

PNW

EDIT - they are sent to the Jailhouse and can only post on that board until probation is ended. This is different than just a venting space as it is used by the mod's to enforce bad behavior.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:17:22 PM by Pizza_Not_War »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
I belong to many different forums/boards on the Internet and this is one of the most friendly, full of members willing to share and learn from each other. Your moderators try hard to quickly put the cabash on any posts or posters that threaten the civil discourse here. Although Steve, the board owner, would have the ultimate say in such a major change, I would be against it.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:42:38 PM »
Steve, the owner and administrator of this forum, has long made it clear to the Moderators that members should be able to debate issues so long as the debates don't turn personal. Once in a while, I will wait for matters to cool down and I will bring out my broom and dustpan and clean up the mess (sometimes I feel like the guy at the circus or the parade who walks behind the elephants).

Sometimes, the Moderators will suggest that the combatants continue a particularly contentious debate that is pretty much only between them through the use of PMs. I personally prefer that approach since I have found that the members lose interest in protracted debates between two members, especially if they can't reach a conclusion on the merits of the arguments. I have also concluded that it is not a good idea for members to participate in debates with other members when they have too little ammunition with which to conduct the debate successfully. Doing Google searches to come up with material and throw it against the wall to see what sticks is a losing proposition and just makes matters worse. Unfortunately, some members do that and end up continuing the debate because they feel a need to save face. Invariably, those members leave the forum and do not return.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
Doing Google searches to come up with material and throw it against the wall to see what sticks is a losing proposition and just makes matters worse.

Scraping that Google gunk off the forum walls is almost as hard as cleaning up after the elephants. A little bit of club soda and a scrub brush helps. Seriously, I hope the membership appreciates what the moderators - especially Peter - do behind the scenes to keep this a great place to learn.

Bill/SFNM

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
(sometimes I feel like the guy at the circus or the parade who walks behind the elephants).

Doing Google searches to come up with material and throw it against the wall to see what sticks is a losing proposition and just makes matters worse.

Scraping that Google gunk off the forum walls is almost as hard as cleaning up after the elephants. A little bit of club soda and a scrub brush helps. Seriously, I hope the membership appreciates what the moderators - especially Peter - do behind the scenes to keep this a great place to learn.

I'm getting quite the visual of "behind the scenes"!!  Scary, since we discuss FOOD here!  :-D  :P
MANY thanks to the Mods, especially Peter, who keep the place cleaned up!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »
Its sometimes fun to watch a fight and sometimes fun to participate in.

I don't think so.Especially if you are on the losing side.Bad idea IMO.Have you ever considered that people use such forums to escape the daily worldwide "news" of fighting? My Wife wonders why I spend so much time on the computer - she now realizes that my tolerance for reality TV (or most TV for that matter ) has worn very thin and anyone can watch people on the likes of Jerry Springer if that's what turns you on.
I can disagree with anyone on the forum,but hopefully maintain some dignity and respect.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline MWTC

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »
I guess if its not broke don't fix it, applies here.

It just seem to me it would be nice to have a place where these "discussions" could continue, in a public format, not in private. Which I am sure is appropriate under certain situations. Conflict is a healthy condition under controlled civility. Friendly and civil is the key note but growth sometimes takes turmoil and upheaval. It could be called the "War Room". Peter could interject himself into discussions and suggest taking it to the "War Room" for public interaction or as He does already, suggest the PM route, if it is deemed private. This way the thread could continue undisturbed and the lurkers could continue viewing the discussion in the "War Room."

Anyway, thanks to the Moderators for all your behind the seen efforts.

Offline MWTC

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
I don't think so.Especially if you are on the losing side.Bad idea IMO.Have you ever considered that people use such forums to escape the daily worldwide "news" of fighting? My Wife wonders why I spend so much time on the computer - she now realizes that my tolerance for reality TV (or most TV for that matter ) has worn very thin and anyone can watch people on the likes of Jerry Springer if that's what turns you on.
I can disagree with anyone on the forum,but hopefully maintain some dignity and respect.

It really depends on your point of view. If you view conflict as "win/lose" then I agree with you. But I don't view conflict as "win/lose", I view it as an opportunity for "win/win".

I don't view this forum as an escape from reality or the "news of fighting", I see it as a forum where My Brothers and Sisters come together to discuss issues that revolve around pizza excellence.

Dignity and respect is within the individual and is not effected by others actions or words. So, disagreement doesn't insinuate lack of respect or loss of dignity. It actually stimulates growth. And needs a path to travel, IE; "The War Room".
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 03:43:14 PM by MWTC »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
The more I have thought about this, the more I think MWTC has a point.  I doubt it will ever come to fruition, but sometimes watching or participating in healthy discussions can often be informative for all.  And, while you're probably never going to convince your debator (rather than "opponent") of your view(s), if people keep an open mind, there can be much to learn.  The biggest problem that I see, over and above any hostility, is that the debate often strays off-topic and that is where "The War Room" might come in handy.  Then, if any agreement IS ever reached... and it is germaine to the original thread's subject, it could be posted on that thread.

Just some thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline MWTC

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »
You get it, ~sd.

I love independent thinkers.

Wouldn't it be fun to check in to that area and see whats going on. To see who is discussing what and with who. To know that this area is a volatile area, where we can really mix it up and know its for a useful purpose and others are welcome to contribute to the debate or confrontation. The Moderators could referee the discussions and participate when they want to.

I remember at a family reunion, I got a comment from My Aunt, that she missed our spirited discussions and that We learned alot from them. She lives far away and I don't see her like I use to when I was growing up. But She recalled the value of our discussions that you would see as quite "lively". We grew closer through them.

Sometimes its good to let it rip. Civility and friendliness need to be balanced with a little venting once in a while. And having them as a reference threads would aid in further advancements.   
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:22:05 AM by MWTC »

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
I think the website format with the many classifications of pizza resolves most conflicts.  What were you after? Most of what is exchanged is information and as a professor said, an ounce of fact is worth a pound of theory. As pizzamakers, the info is proven in our own kitchens.  It works or it doesn't.  I disagree with many things that are posted, but if it works for the poster, wonderful. If I know a different way, I might post it.  Argue, not much and not personally.

I learn a lot from others and change my mind and methods. When Steve posted a recipe without yeast I thought it wouldn't work. I was shocked that it did so well.  Truth comes out of the oven.

So venting is for ovens.  Pizzamaking.com is for, I dunno, making pizzas?

Just my opinion.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 02:28:49 AM »
I don't get it.

What would you need a "War Room" for?

Personally, I like the politics that are played out on this site. Especially when it come to subjects like the real Neapolitan deal, the authenticity and genuineness of an oven, the intense discussion about flours, elite mixers vs. non-elite mixers, etc. It's indeed a lively board.

How can you not like it?? All you have to do to stay sane while encountering all the "politics" is to remind yourself on what level they're fought.

Keep in mind, some like it hot, some like it cold and some like it lukewarm.

And some flip-flop  ;D

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:56 AM »
 ::)

"War Room"

:-D :-D :-D

trin stays tuned :P
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »
Better to make your own pizza and or vent here... :)

Just look what this poor guy gets for venting about a line cutter... (poor guy)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOtH4XNw6U&amp;NR=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOtH4XNw6U&amp;NR=1</a>
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

pizzapan