870g Caputo "00" Pizzeria Flour
91g Ischia, activated
1-2 day room temp bulk fermentation
I'll voice a note of caution to those trying replicate such natural starter recipes. Unlike with commercial yeast, saying "91g Ischia" doesn't convey all the information needed to replicate Bill's results. The number, type, and condition of organisms in that 91g can vary enormously depending on how the starter is managed.
Any given natural starter based recipe could produce a wildly overblown dough, a perfect pizza, or a totally unleavened lump depending on how the starter is managed. For example, Bill's recipe would never work with the process I use to manage my starter.
Relevant factors include:
- what temperature the starter is kept at
- what hydration it is kept at
- how often it is refreshed
- what dilution factor was used to refresh it
- how long since the last refreshment was it incorporated into the dough
- has the starter reached a steady state after days of identical conditions