Author Topic: To keep in the oven and keep it CLEAN (stone/brick)  (Read 1791 times)

Offline berryblondeboys

To keep in the oven and keep it CLEAN (stone/brick)
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
Hi, I just love to cook PERIOD - pizza, bread, cake, etc. I want to put in my oven something that 1. won't damage it. 2. Is easy to keep clean or cleans easily and 3. I "can" take it out for baking that isn't the best with bricks. I haven't tried baking cakes or heard of baking cakes with bricks/stones in the oven, so I'm not sure on a permanent insert.

I know reviews are mixed on the HearthKit and it's not available any more and was pricey, but the nice thing about it was that you could REMOVE it quite easily. So, what's the alternative?

My oven is electric and is about 21" wide and is a self-clean (if that matters). Suggestions? I've scoured the site and now I'm all confused on what's safe and what's good, stone, or bricks, glazed or unglazed and so on!  ::) I just want something that my husband won't roll his eyes at, is easy to get my hands on, and VERY IMPORTANT, safe!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:22:56 PM by berryblondeboys »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: To keep in the oven and keep it CLEAN (stone/brick)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
Ive never heard of this Hearthkit until just now.  The issue I see with it is that you're supposed to put it close to the top of the oven but there is no top heat.  Unless you turned on your broiler....
then you don't have bottom heat.
What about just a regular old custom sized Fibrament stone.
Patrick

Offline Jackitup

Re: To keep in the oven and keep it CLEAN (stone/brick)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
What about just a regular old custom sized Fibrament stone.

That's what I use and love it. Use some tin foil under your pie and it will keep your stone nice and clean. They also will custom cut your stone to the size of your oven. Just leave an inch or so perimeter around the edge open for heat circulation.
www.bakingstone.com
Here's some pics using the foil on my Fibrament stone.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49498.html#msg49498

Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan