Author Topic: A mistake gone right....fra diavolo  (Read 1519 times)

Offline pierce652

• I Love Pizza!
A mistake gone right....fra diavolo
« on: July 18, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »
I made up a batch of lil-dice's Quick Rustic Ciabatta dough and planed on giving it a whirl.  A note on the dough.  This stuff is runny...I mean like a paste.  Maybe more flour or perhaps I messed up somewhere but its really wet.  However, that being said the finished product isnt too bad.  Anyways I was going to use the dough no matter what.  I ended up spraying the parchment and kind of spreading it right on there.

Prior to turning the skin out I tried to pre heat the oven only to find out the glow plug on my gas range died.  Fixated on pizza that night I put the stone on the Weber and cranked it up.  All three burners get WAY too hot on high.  Next time, if there is one, I will set all on medium.

Since I make sauce ahead of time and keep it in the freezer for use I pulled out what I thought was pizza sauce.  Turns out it was some frozen fra diavolo sauce with onions a capers.  I wasnt too happy but had no better option since the skin was already on the parchment.  Im figuring this is gonna be a total disaster.

Sauce on the skin, cheese and pepperoni and onto the grill.  With the hellish heat the parchment disintegrated and the bottom got way too black too fast without the top browning at all.  I pulled it and let it cool a bit.

To my total amazment it wasnt half bad.  The spring was pretty good considering the short time on the grill and the absolute char on the bottom.  Mind you I eat New Haven pizza and love it and this was way beyond anything seen there.  The sauce was absolutely outstanding.  Between the spice, onions and capers the flavor really gave an amazing profile.  Granted its not a traditional pizza but its definately worth trying again with a working oven and a stiffer dough.  Now if I can only remember what sauce recipe I used.  Perhaps topped with some shrimp or chicken for a twist.

I guess the moral to this story...if there is one is never give up on ingredients...even with mistakes you will always find out something new and exciting.

BBQ, Pizza, Flyfishing

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: A mistake gone right....fra diavolo
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:50 PM »
pierce652,

Congrats on not giving up!  Some of the best meals are made when trying to fix something messed up!  Probably the hardest part is actually putting your "mistake" in your mouth and trying it!  But, you won't know unless you taste it... and discover your mistake wasn't so bad after all!

I chuckled at your "now if I can only remember what sauce recipe I used".... sounds like me!  In fact, I started keeping a second notebook devoted to recipes tried, experiments, etc. with my comments added afterward just so that I could keep track of all that!  I use dividers to keep all the various sections easy to find.  That notebook is a godsend! 

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

buceriasdon

Re: A mistake gone right....fra diavolo
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
Pierce, lol, If I had a dime for everytime I ran out of gas or the dough didn`t work as hoped, I`d be a rich man,wait I am rich with the fruits of life. Yep, sometimes one just has to go for it. I like to keep a notebook myself SD, memory is the first thing to go they say, lol! A added plus is one ever wants to put together a recipe book, or just a recipe to a friend it is so much easier. Regards, Don in Mexico
PS, I keep a spare cylinder of gas handy now.......:-)

pierce652,

Congrats on not giving up!  Some of the best meals are made when trying to fix something messed up!  Probably the hardest part is actually putting your "mistake" in your mouth and trying it!  But, you won't know unless you taste it... and discover your mistake wasn't so bad after all!

I chuckled at your "now if I can only remember what sauce recipe I used".... sounds like me!  In fact, I started keeping a second notebook devoted to recipes tried, experiments, etc. with my comments added afterward just so that I could keep track of all that!  I use dividers to keep all the various sections easy to find.  That notebook is a godsend! 

~sd