Author Topic: Boiling cheese  (Read 576 times)

amyamrap

Boiling cheese
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »
The cheese on top of my pizza boils while it bakes. Is this bad?

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
Re: Boiling cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:24:30 PM »
Only if it burns. Otherwise, Boil, baby, Boil! Seriously. Is the cheese burning before the pizza is baked? Are you using some weird kind of cheese? As long as the end result is something palatable, let it boil.

Cheers
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
The cheese on top of my pizza boils while it bakes. Is this bad?
You don't give the info about the style of pizza you are enjoying...I do know that if it is NY pizza you strive for...boiling cheese is a definite must have in order to achieve the beautiful morphing semi- togetherness of cheese and sauce bliss. Sort of like a french kiss...but with waaay more heat.  :)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

amyamrap

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:34:35 AM »
Those are quite reassuring replies, thanks!

Taste or appearance wise I don't mind the boiled cheese at all. I  just wanted to make sure I wasn't destroying some important characteristic I'm not aware of. I also enjoy a char or even light burn on the cheese.

Super great NY is my ultimate goal. I lived above a NY style joint in Boston for several years.. named: Pizza Subs, lol. I want more!

Here is a pie I cooked tonight. Description at Pie Pic O' the Day. 5 oz of Harry David Cheddar. It boiled good. I need to get the pie level to stop the cheese from running.

Offline 3.14 Guy

• THIS GUY loves great pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
amyamrap, are you using pesto underneath the cheese?  The cheese looks as if it is being fried.  If you have pesto (which is mostly oil) under it could be actually "frying" the cheese above it at high temps.  Or if you are using an oily cheese (like cheddar) I could see this happening as well.
Making great pizza, outstanding beer and fantastic BBQ.  This is my passion!