Author Topic: Just finished rebuilding/converting my Forno Bravo WFO to gas  (Read 306 times)

Offline islandguy

I built a Forno Bravo 36 " WFO at my home in Mexico about 6 Months ago and made several mistakes.  I didn't communicate properly with my builder and was out of town when he built my dome.  Instead of 4 " brick walls, they were 8". Instead of 15" high dome, it was 30", instead of 2 " Heath floor, it was 4".
When I got Back home and saw everything was wrong, I had to make a decision to tear it down and rebuild it, or try using it the way was.  Since I was eager to start baking Pizza's, I decided to use it as is.
My friend and neighbor saw my FB and decided he wanted one also.
He drilled a hole in the side of his dome and installed a big propane burner. He loves it.
He can get it up to Temp in less than 30 min and is setting down eating his Pizza while I'm still trying to get my wood going good.
I made the decision to tear off my dome and start over with a gas burner installed. 
I didn't want to build a bomb, so I ordered a burner (Avanzini) made in Itlaly and sold by  Belforno, NC.
I can heat with gas or wood.
We just finished it today and below are a few photos.  Cannot wait until next week to try it out.
In image 17, you can see the 4" pipe coming thru the floor for the gas burner.  I can cover this pipe with a steel cap and burn wood.
The pinkish/Orange is my old WFO
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:17:02 PM by islandguy »

Offline shuboyje

Re: Just finished rebuilding/converting my Forno Bravo WFO to gas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »
I remember your dilemma well from FB.  The new oven looks to have really nice dimensions and proportions.  I'm curious to see how it performs with the burner, every account I have ever heard was that it will take forever to get to temperature on gas only but your neighbor seems to be having different results.
-Jeff

Offline islandguy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:52:27 PM »
Jeff
Since my brick dome was finished about four days ago and my burner today, I couldn't wait to turn it for a few min. In less than five min, the floor was up to 285 degrees.  I know this is not a true test, but I was excited to see it rise that fast.  I plan to bake my first Pizza Wedsday.
Hope it will get over 650 in 30 min.  My friend baked over 20 Pizzas last week and started baking his first one in around 30 min.  Don't know the BTU for his burner, because he bought it at a locale used market for $10

Offline sub

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »
You can check the power output on their website: avanzinibruciatori.it
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:30:38 AM by sub »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
islandguy,

I reoriented your misoriented photos. Your first photo was oriented right.

Peter and I have been asking members to use the photo test thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33199.msg328718#msg328718 to test photos if in doubt as to whether they will show up properly on the forum. The forum's software cannot tell whether a photo is properly oriented.  I ask that you use the photo test thread if you plan to post more photos.

For your additional information, members can fix misoriented photos themselves but it has to be done within one day of posting. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline islandguy

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
Norma
How do I reorient the photo's myself. I cannot find instructions in the forum.
Thanks for your help

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Norma
How do I reorient the photo's myself. I cannot find instructions in the forum.
Thanks for your help

islandguy,

I copied your photos to my computer and then used Paint to be able to rotate your photos and then saved them on my computer.  I then attached them under you post.  I have problems when taking photos on my cell and posting here on the forum.  Hodgey posted at Reply 17 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37151.msg376257#msg376257 what to do when taking photos on a cell phone.

Norma

Offline islandguy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Thanks, Norma
I don't understand why my Photo's were sideways.  They were the correct orientation on my iPad when I posted them.
Went out and fired up my Gas oven this morning for about 10 Min to cure it a little more.
I know it wasn't saturated heat, but it got to over 300 F in 10 min.  I think lowering the ceiling , made a big difference.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:12:30 PM by islandguy »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
Thanks, Norma
I don't understand why my Photo's were sideways.  They were the correct orientation on my iPad when I posted them.
Went out and fired up my Gas oven this morning for about 10 Min to cure it a little more.

islandguy,

I don't understand why your photos were rotated either.  Maybe someone with an iPad can help.  I thought my photos were oriented right from my cell too, but when I went to post them they were not oriented right.  Another moderator fixed a couple of my photos. 

Nice looking WFO BTW!  :)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
Reply 32 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33199.msg380356#msg380356  pretty much spells out the kinds of problems that Moderators face with misoriented photos, and iPads are one source of such problems. As Steve points out in the following Reply 33, the misoriented photos have to be fixed on a desktop computer.

Peter

Online MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:30:24 AM »
I think itís the same issue when taking pictures with an IPhone.

To avoid the upside down issues with my IPhone and go through the extra step to correct pictures orientation when taking horizontal pictures with my IPhone, I orient my phone so the camera lens is on the left. Even if I forgot to do that, to fix the orientation, all I have to do is open the picture in any program and save it, nothing else required, and post them back. Not sure why it works, but it does.

Glenn, try doing a test with your IPad to figure out the correct orientation, probably, the lens should be on the left as the IPhone. Nice oven mod
Bert

Offline islandguy

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:58:00 PM »
Bert
Thanks, for the info.  I will try to find the test area and try to post one or two photos.  Even though I have a good digital camera and a MacBook, I use the iPad 98% of the time.
Glenn