Author Topic: Mobile pizza oven....  (Read 60043 times)

Offline tommygun

Mobile pizza oven....
« on: July 27, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »
For a while not I've been toying with the idea of starting a mobile wood fired pizza business focussing on private parties, farmers markets etc....  Been talking to forno bravo (well, their New Zealand agent)- their prefab mobile ovens look awesome but come with about a NZ$22000 price tag- that's a lot of pizza! 

http://www.fornobravo.com/catering_pizza_oven/caterer_1.html

I know I could get it cheaper by using a local trailer builder and incorporating a home oven into a separately purchased trailer but I'm worried about whether home brick ovens will stand up to the rigours of constant bumps on the road. 

I've seen this dome oven for sale for what seems to be a reasonable price:

ttp://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=pizza+oven&x=16&y=17&searchregion=100&type=Search

Any ideas as to whether it'd be easier and more stable to try and build this type of oven into a trailer or small truck than to use, say, a modular forno bravo brick oven??

Any ideas would be appreciated

Tom

Offline anton-luigi

Re: Mobile pizza oven....
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 07:58:13 PM »
I have aspirations of a mortarless mobile brick oven.  My In-laws used to run a concessions trailer at local events selling Italian roast beef sandwiches for many years.  After watching a bunch of youtube brick oven videos,  I stumbled onto a "one hour brick oven" video where the guy just stacked up a bunch of bricks to form a cooking chamber.  Im thinking that I may be able to pour somewhat of a dome with refractory material to sit on top of stacked bricks,  then I wouldnt need to carry an oven "per se"  just a trailer loaded with brick.  I really dont know how long a poured dome would be able to last without cracking apart  I think that amongst a sea of trailers selling corn dogs, hot dogs, BBQ beef sandwiches etc etc,  that a slice of brick oven pizza would be a huge hit.  They'd also get to watch it being made in front of their eyes,  I think this would be HUGE myself.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »
One of the (very) important things about a brick wood fired oven is the insulation. It must be very well insulated all around (including the bottom). If you don't:

1. You'll be spending a small fortune on firewood to bring the oven up to temperature and subsequently keep it there.

2. You'll have a serious safety hazard: anybody who touches the outside, will have no fingerprints for a couple of weeks or more.

Also it will be a problem to get the oven to vent properly.

Offline dmun

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
I have aspirations of a mortarless mobile brick oven.

Ovens on catering trailers are subject to vibration and bumps. For this reason alone, most of these use prefab ovens, with fewer pieces to vibrate loose. Event catering is no picnic: you are going to want to pay attention to the food, not the oven. Besides, as a business, it's all deductible as a business expense, sooner or later.

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »
Right,  thats why the idea is not to transport a brick oven, but rather individual firebrick,  and assemble the oven on-site.  It is obviously just a novel concept at this point,  and whether or not it would be feasible remains to be seen.   I certainly havent gone any further than to think,  hmmmm,  thats a good idea, wonder if it would work??? 

And around here,  these are not exactly "catered events"  these are local festivals,  where people setup booths and sell homemade wares. The food concessions are usually mini-donuts, corn-dogs, etc,  typical fair food fare.  Maybe this is unattainable,  dont know.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:59:23 PM by anton-luigi »

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:07:15 PM »
Make sure to look into the 2stone pizza pro -- http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-pizza-pr.html  -- it may not look like a brick pizza oven but it bakes as hot as one.  I have one of the grill versions and have been very happy with the quality of pizzas.  Lots of threads here on them, just search 2stone.

Scott

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
Yes,  I have seen the 2stone ovens,  interesting concept as well.   After seeing the little black egg thread,  I may be attempting a build of one of those as well,  that looks pretty neat.    That being said, my pies are still not anywhere near up to snuff.   This should be my first hurdle to jump and NOT the oven itself,  at this point. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:10:19 AM by anton-luigi »

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
Just spoke with an official from the Minnesota Dept of Health,  the idea of assembling firebrick into an oven on-site would not be approved by them,  as it is not UL listed.  Shot down in flames!!! :(

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline feliceforno

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
take a look at this website. feliceforno.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:18:02 PM »
take a look at this website. feliceforno.com

Very nice. Can you tell us more about the oven? Materials? Baking temps? Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline feliceforno

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
I cook pizza's at 730-760 degrees. The oven is a valoriani oven

Offline telehort

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:41:50 AM »
I have one of the portable ovens that can be seen at Forno Bravo.
I have had it for about 6 months and love it.  I cook at about the same temp as Felice Forno, I have run it much hotter but am finding that about 750 is the sweet spot on it.
It's a work in progress website, but you can see it here  bellafamiliapizza.com

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »
Telehort

Lookin' good, bro.
Did you stick a baking tile under your fire?

Offline telehort

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »
no, I do not have a baking tile under the pizza..just the oven floor

Offline feliceforno

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
I have seen your trailer on forno bravo's website it looks good. I agree with you on 750 to 760 is the sweet spot for pizza's

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
Add another mobile oven to the mix...

Mine just arrived in Dallas today and has it's curing fire going right now.  First event is Friday at my daughter's school carnival.

I set up a separate catering company called Il Cane Rosso.

Jay

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »
Any chance of the oven cracking. Is this home made or purchased

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »
Purchased - and it is modular.  You couldn't have individual bricks due to all of the vibration.  The trailer is built in Colorado and designed specifically to carry the oven - so it has the proper support and cushioning.

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »
 how much does it cost

pizzapan