Author Topic: Mobile pizza oven....  (Read 59890 times)

Offline Pizza Nomad

Re: Mobile pizza oven....
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 07:25:52 PM »
Inspired by the Doug of the Big Green Pizza Truck, I started a mobile wood fired pizza business.  For photos and info go to nomadpizzaco.com
Tom

Offline feliceforno

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 03:20:06 PM »
Just spoke with an official from the Minnesota Dept of Health,  the idea of assembling firebrick into an oven on-site would not be approved by them,  as it is not UL listed.  Shot down in flames!!! :(

GO to www Mugnaini.com all of there oven are Ul and NSF approved

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 08:54:43 PM »
Inspired by the Doug of the Big Green Pizza Truck, I started a mobile wood fired pizza business.  For photos and info go to nomadpizzaco.com
Tom

Hey Tom:

Did I spy a Silver King on your service table? 

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »
The silver king prep rail is awesome for mobile catering...I had it up and running on a location yesterday.  Thanks to Scott from Bella Familia Pizza for the tip.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
Photos from the mobile oven - ran it in my driveway for dinner tonight...

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline tommygun

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »
I started this thread a few months ago and forgot all about it! have been busy in the mean time.....

decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the mobile pizza biz.  Was looking at buying one of the fornobravo ovens but then came across a used one on New Zealand's version of eBay for a third of the new price....not a scratch on it and barely used!! fate????

have fired her up about 6 times now with some great results.  first big catering gig was a party of 200!! We slowly pumped out 100 pizzas over an afternoon- a lot of fun and got a lot of attention

i'm primarliy making NYC style pies but have also played around with calzones and a couple of neopolitan dough batches

now trying to swim through the sea of bureaucratic red tape to get myself a street vending licence for my city.  planning to sell by the slice at night in the street on top of private catering and farmers markets.   

will post pics when i figure out how to compress jpegs on my mac...any hints??

Cheers & happy pizza making

Tom

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:58 AM »
Look here 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2359.0.html 

Also iphoto can re-size photos for email and web use.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »
Cant wait to see it? I too strugled to resize took me about 3 weeks . Now I either use Resizemypicture.com  or Picasa or simply open your picture file so they all show in thumbnails, select the thumbnail you want rigt click and use "open with paint" pic will come up huge I go like 25% on Horizontal and same on vertical and close picture save "yes" whala done now when you hover beneath you will see the new size
good luck
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
will post pics when i figure out how to compress jpegs on my mac...any hints??
Assuming you are using OS X, then when viewing jpeg with preview do a save as and adjust the slider bar to get the smaller resolution & size. You can also easily crop the photo and save space that way as well.

PNW

Offline tommygun

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
thanks for the tips, here we go.....

will be posting more (and better!) pics after my next event....have been focussing on the pizzamaking rather than the phototaking

Tom

Offline tommygun

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
by the way jjerrier- your pizzas look AWESOME!

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
Thanks..they tasted great too.  I've added a bunch of dessert items too...the s'mores calzone is insanely popular - marshmallows and choc chips inside pizza dough brushed with oil, topped with granulated sugar and then into the oven.  I have some pics posted on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canerosso/sets/

Offline tommygun

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »
saturdays pizzas.......

we made 10 pizzas for a friend's xmas party.  Dough was a fairly typical NY style (64% hydration, 2% salt, 2% sugar, .5% IDY, 24 hour cold fermentation).  Pies ranged from 12"- 18"- still trying to figure out what size works best with my oven.  I'm thinking around the 16" mark as we can fit two comfortably at that size and still produce around 12 portions every 6-7mins (eventually will be selling to the public by the slice).  Toppings included fresh mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, sopressa pepperoni, pancetta, green and black olives, capers, anchovies, sun dried toms, and a firmish sheeps cheese that the lady at the deli gave me to try (not worth writing home about to be honest).  Sauce was just hand crushed WPTs, salt, lemon juice, pepper and a little chopped fresh rosemary

I'm still getting used to the idiosyncracies of the wood fire.   One problem, well not necessarily a problem but more of an issue, that i've had: when i add new logs to the fire while cooking, the flames created are travelling up the side and roof of the dome and 'licking' down on the pizza cooking on the other side- as a result, the top of some of my pies was cooking quicker than I would've liked and I was losing out on leoparing on my bases.  The answer would seem to be- don't add logs while actually cooking- but I feel as though i need that extra burst of heat to get really nice oven spring.   Any suggestions/ comments?  i'm fairly new to wood fire cooking so any general feedback would be appreciated

Cheers!

Tom

Offline tommygun

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 06:38:07 PM »
and a couple more....

i dont know which is cheesier- my grin or the margherita!!

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
I have a friend interested in that oven.... how is it holding up???

Offline tommygun

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »
i've found both the oven and the trailer (two different manufacturers) to be of very high quality!  The oven comes from Golden Embers in Australia by the way

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
I am glad to hear of your good experience with Golden Embers from Australia. I have posted before on this vendor. Without going into great detail, I had an absolutely horrendous experience with them (I ordered an oven to be shipped to the States--made the terrible mistake of prepaying in full per their request).

It is possible that I had a unique experience, I suppose, but in my opinion, it is worth treading carefully when it comes to Golden Embers.

Jim

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »

One problem, well not necessarily a problem but more of an issue, that i've had: when i add new logs to the fire while cooking, the flames created are travelling up the side and roof of the dome and 'licking' down on the pizza cooking on the other side- as a result, the top of some of my pies was cooking quicker than I would've liked and I was losing out on leoparing on my bases.  The answer would seem to be- don't add logs while actually cooking- but I feel as though i need that extra burst of heat to get really nice oven spring.   Any suggestions/ comments?  i'm fairly new to wood fire cooking so any general feedback would be appreciated

I use to work a wood-fired oven in a shop and the way that we maintained the flame, to keep the luminary heat consistent, was to use very small logs, almost like kindling. When the flames started to die, we would throw one or two on. Another method that was utilized was a blow stick. This was simply a 4 ft. length of copper pipe that you used to blow fresh O2 into the fire, and that would increase the flames, but only somewhat temporarily.

I have also seen some folks use a splash of wood chips to get that burst of flame. UPN does that ...check out this video at :38 seconds:

http://www.chow.com/stories/11065

Put a handful or so on the peel, and toss them into the fire. I think though you will have to experiment with your oven because of it's unique size and shape.

BRD
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
As far as losing your leoparding goes,  is there any way you can remove your fire retaining wall?  Lots of heat should be coming front the coals themselves.  It looks like the wall there is probably having an effect on that.  Some of your spring will be coming from there too.  thats my 2C. -marc