Author Topic: Mobile pizza oven....  (Read 62337 times)

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Re: Mobile pizza oven....
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline tommygun

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »
I started this thread a few months ago and forgot all about it! have been busy in the mean time.....

decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the mobile pizza biz.  Was looking at buying one of the fornobravo ovens but then came across a used one on New Zealand's version of eBay for a third of the new price....not a scratch on it and barely used!! fate????

have fired her up about 6 times now with some great results.  first big catering gig was a party of 200!! We slowly pumped out 100 pizzas over an afternoon- a lot of fun and got a lot of attention

i'm primarliy making NYC style pies but have also played around with calzones and a couple of neopolitan dough batches

now trying to swim through the sea of bureaucratic red tape to get myself a street vending licence for my city.  planning to sell by the slice at night in the street on top of private catering and farmers markets.   

will post pics when i figure out how to compress jpegs on my mac...any hints??

Cheers & happy pizza making

Tom

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:58 AM »
Look here 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2359.0.html 

Also iphoto can re-size photos for email and web use.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »
Cant wait to see it? I too strugled to resize took me about 3 weeks . Now I either use Resizemypicture.com  or Picasa or simply open your picture file so they all show in thumbnails, select the thumbnail you want rigt click and use "open with paint" pic will come up huge I go like 25% on Horizontal and same on vertical and close picture save "yes" whala done now when you hover beneath you will see the new size
good luck
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
will post pics when i figure out how to compress jpegs on my mac...any hints??
Assuming you are using OS X, then when viewing jpeg with preview do a save as and adjust the slider bar to get the smaller resolution & size. You can also easily crop the photo and save space that way as well.

PNW

Offline tommygun

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
thanks for the tips, here we go.....

will be posting more (and better!) pics after my next event....have been focussing on the pizzamaking rather than the phototaking

Tom

Offline tommygun

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
by the way jjerrier- your pizzas look AWESOME!

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »
Thanks..they tasted great too.  I've added a bunch of dessert items too...the s'mores calzone is insanely popular - marshmallows and choc chips inside pizza dough brushed with oil, topped with granulated sugar and then into the oven.  I have some pics posted on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canerosso/sets/

Offline tommygun

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »
saturdays pizzas.......

we made 10 pizzas for a friend's xmas party.  Dough was a fairly typical NY style (64% hydration, 2% salt, 2% sugar, .5% IDY, 24 hour cold fermentation).  Pies ranged from 12"- 18"- still trying to figure out what size works best with my oven.  I'm thinking around the 16" mark as we can fit two comfortably at that size and still produce around 12 portions every 6-7mins (eventually will be selling to the public by the slice).  Toppings included fresh mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, sopressa pepperoni, pancetta, green and black olives, capers, anchovies, sun dried toms, and a firmish sheeps cheese that the lady at the deli gave me to try (not worth writing home about to be honest).  Sauce was just hand crushed WPTs, salt, lemon juice, pepper and a little chopped fresh rosemary

I'm still getting used to the idiosyncracies of the wood fire.   One problem, well not necessarily a problem but more of an issue, that i've had: when i add new logs to the fire while cooking, the flames created are travelling up the side and roof of the dome and 'licking' down on the pizza cooking on the other side- as a result, the top of some of my pies was cooking quicker than I would've liked and I was losing out on leoparing on my bases.  The answer would seem to be- don't add logs while actually cooking- but I feel as though i need that extra burst of heat to get really nice oven spring.   Any suggestions/ comments?  i'm fairly new to wood fire cooking so any general feedback would be appreciated

Cheers!

Tom

Offline tommygun

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 06:38:07 PM »
and a couple more....

i dont know which is cheesier- my grin or the margherita!!

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:21 AM »
I have a friend interested in that oven.... how is it holding up???

Offline tommygun

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »
i've found both the oven and the trailer (two different manufacturers) to be of very high quality!  The oven comes from Golden Embers in Australia by the way

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:45 PM »
I am glad to hear of your good experience with Golden Embers from Australia. I have posted before on this vendor. Without going into great detail, I had an absolutely horrendous experience with them (I ordered an oven to be shipped to the States--made the terrible mistake of prepaying in full per their request).

It is possible that I had a unique experience, I suppose, but in my opinion, it is worth treading carefully when it comes to Golden Embers.

Jim

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »

One problem, well not necessarily a problem but more of an issue, that i've had: when i add new logs to the fire while cooking, the flames created are travelling up the side and roof of the dome and 'licking' down on the pizza cooking on the other side- as a result, the top of some of my pies was cooking quicker than I would've liked and I was losing out on leoparing on my bases.  The answer would seem to be- don't add logs while actually cooking- but I feel as though i need that extra burst of heat to get really nice oven spring.   Any suggestions/ comments?  i'm fairly new to wood fire cooking so any general feedback would be appreciated

I use to work a wood-fired oven in a shop and the way that we maintained the flame, to keep the luminary heat consistent, was to use very small logs, almost like kindling. When the flames started to die, we would throw one or two on. Another method that was utilized was a blow stick. This was simply a 4 ft. length of copper pipe that you used to blow fresh O2 into the fire, and that would increase the flames, but only somewhat temporarily.

I have also seen some folks use a splash of wood chips to get that burst of flame. UPN does that ...check out this video at :38 seconds:

http://www.chow.com/stories/11065

Put a handful or so on the peel, and toss them into the fire. I think though you will have to experiment with your oven because of it's unique size and shape.

BRD
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
As far as losing your leoparding goes,  is there any way you can remove your fire retaining wall?  Lots of heat should be coming front the coals themselves.  It looks like the wall there is probably having an effect on that.  Some of your spring will be coming from there too.  thats my 2C. -marc

Offline tommygun

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »
Thanks for the hint widespread- the firewall is completely moveable- i just use it to prevent ash and debris falling onto the cooking surface when I add wood- i leave a section of the flame unblocked so i can get the pies right up close to the coals.  I'll give it a try without the firewall this weekend.

Re: Golden Embers- I didn't deal with them directly as I bought the trailer second hand so I can't vouch for them 100% but the quality of their product seems top notch

I think i'll get hold of some woodchips next time too and see how that goes

cheers!

Tom

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
There is an interesting thread on mobile pizza trailers, with photos, at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?t=6415&sid=f5a420758ce9f5dce1b4ea940380d152.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Thankyou Peter for that link.
Very Very Interesting. I really like the mobile idea, as I have said. It seems as though it would be affordable to set one of these up somehow and still keep my job. Without the major investment of a shop - with the hopes someday I would not need the 9-5  :)
John

Offline slash picaso

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
great work tommygun,good to see you got it all happening,just one question on the trailer,how do you stop the oven from moving and breaking eg, do you have suspention under the oven?

Offline tommygun

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 07:57:30 PM »
Thanks Slash- its a pretty good feeling to have the biz off the ground and ticking along nicely

We just had a long weekend of festival catering and have bookings every weekend for the next two months (its the middle of summer in New Zealand right now- prime pizza making weather)

Sold around 700 slices over the weekend and had some very good feedback.  We are doing hand tossed 17" NYC style pies chopped into six and sold by the slice.  NYC style pizza is virtually unseen in NZ and people have are amazed by the hand spinning spectacle and by the sheer size of the pies.   Sold a couple of slices to a group of New Yorkers and they said it was just like they got back home which I was pretty proud about!

In case anyone is interested, the dough we are using is as follows:

100% Flour  (11.8% protein with a little 75% gluten flour added to kick up protein to approx 14%- no one sells hi gluten flour in NZ)
64% Water
2% Salt
2% Vege oil
1% sugar
.2% IDY

.....24 hour cold fermentation

One of the biggest issues I am facing is keeping the dough in optimum condition while out at festivals and during transit.   We have been hiring a refrigerated trailer but with all the opening and closing of the door, and with the time in transit when it's not plugged in, the temperature can be pretty erratic and we have had a few dough balls blow out on us.  The cost of hiring the trailer is also starting to add up ($200 per weekend).   Would love to be able to buy my own trailer but don't have the $10K spare!  I guess that's the nature of mobile vending though

I will take some photos at the festivals this weekend so you can check out my setup

More than happy to answer questions about the whole mobile concept- i am relatively new to it but have learnt A LOT over the last few months

oh, and Slash- the trailer has custom suspension and a purpose built steel frame supporting the oven base- New Zealand roads are notoriously rough but the oven has stood up well to bumps and bounces

Cheers

Tom

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Tom,

I notice that you changed your dough formulation from the one you described at Reply 33 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7000.msg64837.html#msg64837. At the time, I wondered whether the sugar level might have been too high for the high oven temperatures you were using. I see now that you have lowered the sugar content. Was that the reason? I noticed also that you reduced the amount of IDY and added some oil to your recipe. Was the yeast reduction because it is summer where you are and the dough was fermenting too fast? And how has the oil addition worked out?

As usual, I look forward to the next batch of photos.

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:42 PM »
Tommy,
700 slices at 6 per pie thats like 117 pizzas and 1 for you
So how are you mixing all that dough? thats a pretty large batch don't ? How many Grams is each finished 17"dough ball?
Glad its going well for you. Keep pushin  out the pies :chef:
John

Offline tommygun

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
Haha nothing escapes you does it peter?! Yep you're right I decided to drop the sugar a little as I was having a bit of trouble with premature browning on the top of my pies which, in part, I put down to the sugar content.  Also, I just don't think the extra sugar is necessary when using slow, cold fermentation. 

Also cut the IDY back a little to help deal with the issues of dough temperature control and overfermentation that I mentioned.   I figure if I use as little yeast as possible I will be giving myself a better chance of managing temperature fluctuations.

Decided to add the oil as I found that the gluten flour I was adding tended to toughen up the dough.  I use a 20 min autolyse when mixing (flour + 90% of water with salt and sugar dissolved in it) and found that when I started the mixer again it was stressing and straining much more noticably than when I mix doughs without hte added gluten.   I have never used hi gluten flour so don't know whether this is normal or was accentuated by adding the (near) pure gluten.  Either way, adding the oil slowly over a couple of mins when I start kneading after the autolyse seems to help- and it gives the dough a more supple finish I find.

JConk- was a lot more than just the one for me and my workers- we were munching away most of the weekend!  As for the mixing- I've struck it lucky and got myself access to a commercial kitchen that belongs to the restaurant I work part time for.  We have two 30qt hobarts and another amazing toy- a dough baller! Takes a lot of the hard work out of dough making- just portion your dough (575g each for me) throw it into the machine and out pops a perfectly round and tight dough ball- SO easy, but very expensive.  I did my mixing for the weekend last night- pumped out 80 dough balls in about 3 hours including setting up and tidying up afterwards

Will post photos after this weekend- we're catering at a big horse racing event- 25000 capacity.  Should be fun and hopefully profitable

Tom

Offline slash picaso

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
I am just about to purchase a mobile oven myself,i will start of using frozen bases(i know they are the not the best) but am looking for consistancy,with the best ingredients should work out good,trials to date have been positive, i am very interested in how you are going,and hope to share information in the future,happy festivals tommy

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »
Tom,

In the early days of pizza making in the U.S. where the pizza operators used very high temperature ovens (mostly coal-fired) and baked on a stone surface they could not use sugar in the dough for the very reason you discovered. That still applies today even for deck ovens, which overtook the coal fired ovens (and wood-fired ovens) in popularity.

As for the vital wheat gluten, one of the steps that is often recommended when using vital wheat gluten as part of a dough formulation is to add 1 1/2 to 2 times the weight of vital wheat gluten as additional water. In your case, if you did not do that, then the oil perhaps helped get the fluency of the dough you wanted.

What I do when I use vital wheat gluten is to replace part of the formula flour with an amount of vital wheat gluten that will produce a final blend with a desired protein level. I then adjust the hydration if needed. As an example, if you have a base flour with a protein content of say, 12.7%, which is typical of bread flour in the U.S., and want to increase that to 14.2%, which is typical of high-gluten flour in the U.S., you simply replace part of the base flour with an amount of vital wheat gluten that yields a total blend with a protein content of 14.2%. I do the calculations for this sort of exercise using member November's Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. If you want to play around with that tool, you will want to know the protein content of your base flour, the weight of that base flour used in the dough formulation, the protein content of your vital wheat gluten (65-75% is typical), and the targeted final protein content. To convert the calculated weight of vital wheat gluten to a volume measurement, you will also need to know how much a particular volume of the vital wheat gluten weighs (e.g., 1/4 cup weighs 30 grams). All of this sounds quite complicated but it really is not. If you decide to use the tool and need help, let me know.

BTW, you have done a great job working with, and understanding, baker's percents. Do you do the calculations long hand or do you use a calculator of some sort?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:05:14 PM by Pete-zza »