Author Topic: Mobile pizza oven....  (Read 62247 times)

Offline tommygun

Re: Mobile pizza oven....
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 08:10:26 PM »
Peter- I've been using the Uncle Salmon tool to achieve a 14% protein in the finished flour- the VWG i use is 75%.  In your experience is their much difference between using bread flour + VWG and using a milled hi protein flour??  I've discovered that its important to disperse the VWG through the flour well to avoid an inconsistent finished dough texture i.e. concentrated VWG spots

All my bakers percents are worked out using the Lehmann calculator- even though i'm only a few years out of high school, calculus class seems like a distant memory!

Heading off now to set up for tomorrow's festival- can't wait- weather is looking good

Slash- good luck to ya!  its a lot of work but a lot of fun.  one of my biggest lessons so far- the weather is a hugely important factor in your success.  that, and take your set up cost projections and multiply them by 3 to get a more realistic figure!! sad but true.  PM me with any questions

Tom

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »
In your experience is their much difference between using bread flour + VWG and using a milled hi protein flour?? Tom

Tom,

The two are not equivalent. In my opinion, it would be better to go with the high-gluten, high-protein flour if you can get it. However, as we have learned, high-gluten flour often isn't available in many, if not most, places outside of the U.S. I like using vital wheat gluten. I find that it gives more crust color, taste and chewiness than a crust without it. Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 06:51:43 AM »
Tom,

I like using vital wheat gluten. I find that it gives more crust color, taste and chewiness than a crust without it. Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference.

Peter

Peter,
I mix in Gluten Flour (80%) in my high gluten dough recipes.  I didn't realize that there was a difference between VWG & Gluten Flour.  I have been using the VWG formula thus far, will the formula still hold true in this case?

Matt

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:34 AM »
Tom,

I recalled some time ago that I spoke with a technical person at Bay State Milling, a miller in the U.S. that often mills flours for others, such as King Arthur and several of the major U.S. pizza chains, about the differences between a milled flour and one supplemented with vital wheat gluten. This morning, while looking for something else, I stumbled upon a post that I wrote shortly after that discussion, at Reply 125 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,389.msg4505/topicseen.html#msg4505.

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 09:49:26 AM »
I mix in Gluten Flour (80%) in my high gluten dough recipes.  I didn't realize that there was a difference between VWG & Gluten Flour.  I have been using the VWG formula thus far, will the formula still hold true in this case?

Matt,

Often, usually outside of the U.S., vital wheat gluten (VWG) is known as "gluten flour" or "wheat gluten flour". Another comparable term is "pure gluten flour". The three most common VWG products at the retail level in the U.S. are those from Bob's Red Mill, Arrowhead Mills, and Hodgson Mill. All three of these brands are in the pull-down menu of November's Mixed Mass Percentage Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/. However, if one knows the percent protein (80% in your case), the tool can also be used with any brand of vital wheat gluten, as Tom apparently has done with the brand he is using in New Zealand. What brand are you using?

Peter
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:06:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:49 AM »
Hi Peter,
I buy from a local baker supply called Grain Process Enterprises.  I use their hard unbleached flour which is about 12.7% gluten & have been extremely happy with it.  Based on what I've read, its properties seem to be similar to KABF.  Lately I've been adding just enough gluten flour to bring it up to about 13% which seems to work best for me.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:40:41 AM by Matthew »

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures from our mobile oven in action...we were invited to the Dallas Morning News Wine Competition on Monday night - our restaurant was recognized as a Top Ten New Restaurant by the News...kind of shocking considering some of the more "serious" restaurants that were also in the mix - maybe a nod to this economy!

At any rate, after working with the health department to explain the oven :) it all ran smoothly.  The funny thing is that Dallas Fire Rescue didn't care at all that I was burning wood as fuel...just wanted to make sure I had a permit if I was using propane.  Funny.

Anyway, we did 50 pizzas in about 90 minutes - the oven performed perfectly and I didn't screw up a single pizza.  We made all Neapolitan margheritas with fior di latte, whole leaf basil, extra virgin, a touch of olive oil and sea salt.  We were quite a spectacle out in front of the convention center.  A lot of well known Dallas chefs came by to stare into the oven.  Tons of fun.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures from our mobile oven in action...we were invited to the Dallas Morning News Wine Competition on Monday night - our restaurant was recognized as a Top Ten New Restaurant by the News...kind of shocking considering some of the more "serious" restaurants that were also in the mix - maybe a nod to this economy!

At any rate, after working with the health department to explain the oven :) it all ran smoothly.  The funny thing is that Dallas Fire Rescue didn't care at all that I was burning wood as fuel...just wanted to make sure I had a permit if I was using propane.  Funny.

Anyway, we did 50 pizzas in about 90 minutes - the oven performed perfectly and I didn't screw up a single pizza.  We made all Neapolitan margheritas with fior di latte, whole leaf basil, extra virgin, a touch of olive oil and sea salt.  We were quite a spectacle out in front of the convention center.  A lot of well known Dallas chefs came by to stare into the oven.  Tons of fun.

Bravo, and congrats! What great publicity for you-hopefully you'll get some bookings from it. Did the people enjoy your pizza? I only see 1 pic.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
Jeff,
I think he said 50 pizzas in 90 min.  :o I can tell you balancing  800 degree oven and whipping out pies, that does not leave much time for Picture taking. How many does a 2stone do in 90 min. Guess you could do that with some planning right? Could you do a mobile setup with 3 - 2stones side by side like  conga drums, and go nuts at a function jjer,  I am Curious how many people you have helping and what they do I mean what is your process? and don't one on them have a cell phone with a camera?
great work! congrats on your success. ( and not screwing one up too thats a feat for me.)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
I will upload some pics from iphone later - but unfortunately I didn't have a ton of time to take pics.  A guy from the newspaper was there taking pics - if it makes it to the paper I will post a link.

I would make 2-3 pizzas at a time on the prep table, load them into the oven, cook for 2 mins then pop them on the trays.  I had a couple of volunteer runners that would run them in to the function, by the time they came back I had the next batch ready.  Stressful but fun.  The other "top ten" restaurants also had tables inside the event providing samples of their food so we didn't have to feed 300 people ourselves.

I was worried about how people would react because it was definitely Neapolitan - crispy but soft, a little soupy with fior di latte.  People kept coming up to me saying they were having seconds, thirds, and fourths...so a good sign!

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
A few badly cropped pics from my iphone...

Offline tommygun

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »
We fired up our mobile oven last weekend as well- had a successful afternoon at, of all things, a circus demonstration/ public workshop event in Wellington, New Zealand....

Made about 45 x 17" pies in 4 hours selling by the slice (6 per pie)

Had some really good feedback- New Zealanders seem to be taking to the NYC style pies and everyone is intrigued by my fairly amateur displays of dough spinning!

A photographer friend came along and took some nice pics for anyone who is interested

Cheers

Offline tommygun

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
and a few more....

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
Tom,

Great job and great photos :chef:.

Peter

Offline slash picaso

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:37 PM »
good job tom,thats alot of pizza.How much do you sell a slice for,and how many styles do you make,best of luck

Offline othafa9

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 04:35:23 PM »
how difficult is it dealing with the health department with these mobile operations? How do you do handwashing with a set up like il cane rossi?

Offline fritznewton

• Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. Do pizza!
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 05:22:40 PM »
Health department varies but do your research and know the regulations before approaching.  Taking food safety courses before hand, if you haven't already been in a food service operation, will show your desire to be professional.

Sinks can be portable and meet regulations that include hot water and battery systems. I can't post hyperlinks yet but you can run this in Google:
ASP PSW1-1000GG / GSA PART NUMBER PJI PSW1-1000 The PSW1-1000 HandStand(tm) Mobile Single User Portable Sink Handwash Station (Wheeled Version) (Installed Heater Option Available) (19 Gallons Waste Storage) is easily transportable with built-in handles and lightweight rubber tread wheels.

how difficult is it dealing with the health department with these mobile operations? How do you do handwashing with a set up like il cane rossi?

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:11 PM »
@jjerrier2450

Nice oven... and nice tools!  ;)

Offline blazer

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
We fired up our mobile oven last weekend as well- had a successful afternoon at, of all things, a circus demonstration/ public workshop event in Wellington, New Zealand....

Made about 45 x 17" pies in 4 hours selling by the slice (6 per pie)

Had some really good feedback- New Zealanders seem to be taking to the NYC style pies and everyone is intrigued by my fairly amateur displays of dough spinning!

A photographer friend came along and took some nice pics for anyone who is interested

how do you keep the pizzas warm when selling them by th slice? or is it that they dont get a chance to cool down before they sell?
Cheers