Author Topic: Starters And Casual Baking  (Read 2774 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Starters And Casual Baking
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Hi-

Due to work/travel over the past year I have become more of a casual pizza maker (about once every 2 weeks) and was wondering if it's realistic to use a starter. I am away for 3-5 days at a time and wonder about keeping them alive. Does anyone have a starter that they use once a month that stays alive in the fridge in the meantime?

Thanks,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Starters And Casual Baking
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:11:42 PM »
It might depend on the hardiness of the strain you have captured or purchased. I have left a starter for a few months and it came back as good as new after a few feedings.

Bill/SFNM

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »
Thanks Bill.

I purchased the Ischia from sourdo.com, I also have the caramoldi (gosh that spelling might be waaay off). I purchased them a couple months ago, but they are still in the fridge. Does this give you any help?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:44:09 PM »
I feed my Ischia and Camaldoli every week or so since I use them so much, but I know people who have left them dormant for several months and they revived just fine. OTOH, there are people on this board who have had the culture up and die for no apparent reason. 

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
Alright when I get home I'm going to go for it- I just hate to waste them.

I've skimmed the threads here. Is there any one in general you'd recommend for a beginner?

I appreciate the advice.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:10:25 PM »
Perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying you haven't done the initial activation yet? If so, you may want wait to do the initial activation until you're home for a 2-week stint in case you experience contamination. You want to have a thriving and stable population before you put them to sleep.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
I have not done the initial activation. I'll wait for a 2 week stretch before beginning-hoefully soon.

jeff

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »
I finally got around to activating the Ischia starter. The process went much easier than the Camaldoli and I attribute that to my greater knowledge of the process as it is my third starter activation.

I think the KEY to it all as Ed Wood points out is the activation temperatures. He states 85-90 degrees. I went with 90 this time and activated in 48 hours. After 24 hours I had a 1/2 inch of hooch and after the second feeding that was gone.

I used his Pane Cafone recipe as I did with the Camaldoli as a test and it came out with a nice sour taste. But the real test was pizza dough which for some reason was better than anything else I have made to date. Great spring & crumb, nice taste from a 18 hour room temp rise with a few hours in the fridge to slow it down a bit followed by 1 hour on the counter. Baked between 700 - 840 on the 2stone.

Nobody has patience anymore for picture taking.

PNW

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
I have been using the Ischia for a few months now but I was thinking about trying out Camaldoli  which I have not activated yet. Which do you guys prefer? Ischia or Camaldoli?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
I prefer the ischia, but they are both excellent and in the end most people would probably say that they are subtly different if the dough is baked at the peak of fermentation.    The camadoli does rise a bit faster, though.

pizzapan