Author Topic: what´s the percentage ?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
what´s the percentage ?
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:48:38 PM »
Hi every one,

i bake pizza (naples/ny mix style) just using IDY, but i am very curious about using a starter (sourdough)....

my question is, what the percentage of starter in a pizza recipe ?

thanks,

Andre 
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: what´s the percentage ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:15 PM »
my question is, what the percentage of starter in a pizza recipe ?
I think you will find a wide variation on this forum regarding percentages. It would seem to depend on how active and robust your starter is. What temperatures you use for fermentation and length of time. I have also done 3%, 5% 10%, 15% etc. You just have to learn to tell when your dough is ready by visual clues (bubbles, etc), touch and smell. It is always an adventure and often fun to see how you can pretty much do the exact same method and come out with slightly different results which can be affected by oven temps varying, humidity, ambient temperatures, children screaming and crying - you get the picture!

Basically you need to experiment. I am using 5% of total dough weight and a 24 hour minimum rise @ 64F degrees. I then either bake it or chill it in the refrigerator for bread baking at a later date/time.

Search the forum for other recipes and starter usage.

PNW

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
Andre,

Your question is one that comes up quite a lot on the forum, so if you do a forum search, as PNW suggested, you should find several posts on this subject. However, one of the many posts I have entered on this subject is this one: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5496.msg46474/topicseen.html#msg46474 (Reply 7). A shorter version is at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg58693.html#msg58693 (Reply 557).

Peter

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
thanks guys !!

iam a big fan of the forum, and appreciate all the effort to help who is starting....

iam going to start a starter.... and hope for the best !!!

thanks again !
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

pizzapan