Author Topic: Carnation Malted Milk Powder in Canada  (Read 10506 times)

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
Carnation Malted Milk Powder in Canada
« on: December 18, 2004, 09:55:29 AM »
I spoke with a rep from Nestle Canada yesterday and as far as he could tell it is sold in Canada under the name Milo.I have seen this product in stores so I will track down a can and post the ingrediants.

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
Re:Carnation Malted Milk Powder in Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »
Turns out milo is chocalate flavoured malted milk powder.Ovaltine is regular malted milk powder.
Ingredients list is malt extract,full cream milk powder,whey powder,sugar,palm oil,butter oil,oligofructose,sodium bicarbonate,salt.
Do you folks think this will work like the carnation malted milk powder.Are the ingredients the same or close.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 11:34:28 AM »
Aaron,
The list of ingredients on Carnation's Malted Milk in the US is:
Wheat Flour & Malted Barley Extracts,
Milk,
Soy Lecithin,
Salt,
Sodium Bicarbonate
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:25:23 PM »
Hi,I made a pizza dough with the addition of ovaltine at 1T for 3 cups flour,1 and a half tsp idy,and half a teaspoon of salt,last but not least 2 T of evoo.
I am not sure if it helped the doughs character much,but the wife commented the dough tasted sweeter.
I will keep playing with it to see if I can improve the dough.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 08:12:53 PM »
Made my NY style pizza tonight with the addition of 1 T. Carnation Malted Milk powder. The dough was a  tad sweeter and had a very pleasant taste... The crust was also "softer" than usual which was quite nice. I will continue to add the Malted Milk powder from this point forward!  ;D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 01:36:39 PM »
Steve,
Be careful. You may spoil your entire family. We've found it's tough to eat a pie that isn't enhanced with malt. Been that way since I was a kid.
I am interested in understanding the recipe you used it in. I use the century old Quagliariello recipe (AP flour) and couldn't be happier. I have not tried malt with high gluten flour yet. Should I?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 02:14:53 PM by pftaylor »
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 05:22:20 PM »
I am in the process of trying out pftaylor's pizza dough recipe and hope to be able to post the results of my efforts before I head to Massachusetts for the holidays.  In the meantime, I decided today to use some of the Carnation Original malted milk in a dog biscuit recipe that I make every year around Xmas to give as gifts to a couple of dogs I visit each year when I visit their owners on Xmas day.  I am told that the dogs go crazy over my dog biscuits.  What will be most interesting this year is to see whether the dogs can tell the difference between this year's dog biscuits and the ones I have made in the past without the Carnation Original malted milk.  The dogs are that smart.  (I also subjected the dog biscuit dough to an autolyse of about a half hour as I was tending to some laundry, but I doubt they will be able to tell the difference, as smart as they are.)

The photo below shows the dog biscuits I made today using the Carnation Original malted milk (about a couple of tablespoons), along with the bottle of Carnation Original malted milk that I was able to find, and a cube of the Fleischmann's compressed fresh yeast (to be used to make pftaylor's dough recipe).  The latter two items are mainly for the benefit of Canadave, so he will know what the items look like should he pursue his efforts to locate the elusive items in Canadian markets.  It is not to rub it in.  

Peter

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 06:04:06 PM »
That is truly funny. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. By the way, we have two Shihtzu's who are wild about Malted Milk Bones. Independent tests have shown that their teeth are 22% cleaner as a result of the "secret" ingredient.
Happy holidays...
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 08:41:01 AM »
I will definitely try some more experimenting with the ovaltine,I will try 2 tsp next to see about how that affects taste.
I also like the idea of cleaner teeth,if it works for dogs what the hey.
Merry x-mas to all.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Carnation Malted Milk Powder in Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 03:00:40 PM »
I just noticed this thread :(

*sigh* still haven't found it anywhere that doesn't charge a lot to ship to Canada.  I think I'm going to ask my parents in NYC to buy some and ship it to me gratis.

Nice dog biscuits :P

--Dave

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 11:28:36 AM »
Sad news guys,the store where I found Horlicks malted has decided to stop carrying it.So if any Canadians want some go to your local A&P and buy it before it is gone.The Horlicks is a much better product for pizzas than the ovaltine,no where near the same flavour profile and a much better finished product.
Aaron

Offline Ian

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »
I saw Horlicks on Saturday at Superstore in Winnipeg - I didn't realize it was an acceptable substitute for Carnation. Canadave, if you can't find any in Alberta I can send you some.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 11:36:52 PM »
Ian,

Thanks very much for your kind offer!  Actually, I had my mom back in New York grab some large cans of Carnation malted milk powder and send it to me, so I'm set for life ;)  What I'm really looking for now are cheap sources of King Arthur high-gluten flour, Grande cheese, and Stanislaus NY Pizza Sauce.  I could get a hold of all of those through the normal channels, but shipping would be ridiculously high out here to Canada.  For instance I found a place that sells the KASL flour--they said the bag would be $5, but the shipping would be $25! :0