Author Topic: A16 Food+Wine The Book Is Coming  (Read 2718 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
A16 Food+Wine The Book Is Coming
« on: August 01, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »
I read today that this book is coming out. It is supposed to have recipes, dough secrets, and an Italian wine primer. Sounds promising.

Jeff

ETA gratuitous A16 Video (Pizza content first 2-3 min) 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:52:36 PM by jeff v »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
Re: A16 Food+Wine The Book Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:27 AM »
This one I'll buy.

GREAT restaurant.  not just great pizza... great food and great paring with wine.

Frankie G

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:46 PM »
My copy was delivered today.

Beautiful photography, and a quick scan of the recipes looked good. The pizza section looked light, but the others look fantastic.

Can't wait to try some recipes.

Jeff

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:52:57 PM »
Got my copy for Christmas and I love it. 

I love how it showcases how the restaurant is a living breathing SEASONAL thing.

When a certain pepper is out of harvest, they switch the dish.  The proveyer is out of fresh Young chickens ... they swich to phesant or Cornish game... if the freshness and flavor is right.

They have two stocks (broth)... Grana Padano and Proscuitto di Parma.  GOT TO LOVE IT.  Preserved meyer lemon, perserved calabrian chilis, Mosto, .... OMG....

I can't wait to make these condiments and have them for pizza's!!!

I tried the pizza dough this weekend for my daughter's birthday.  I used San Felice flour and kept cold for two days.  The dough had merit... although it was kid-friendly pie I was preparing.... not tradditional.  but I tasted the potential and will make again.

1/4-1/3 of the book is on wine and each recipe has a pairing....  love it.

needles to say.....I liked the book.

Frankie G

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
Agreed Frankie-the book is great. I've made a few recipes from it, and have been happy with them. This weekend I am making the dark chocolate and sea salt shortbread cookies.

Oh I made the Calabrian Chili oil, and it went quick!

Let us know how they turn out,

Jeff

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »
Ragu Napoletana and the meatballs were amazing.  Have also made the fresh pasta.  I love the book and gave it as a gift to several people over the holidays.  I also caught Nate Appleman on Iron Chef on Battle Pork vs. Michael Symon...he was robbed.  Out of all the pizza places I make a point to visit (and I realize A16 is much more than a pizzeria) - A16 is one of my most memorable visits...even more so than Pizzeria Bianco.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »
Ragu Napoletana and the meatballs were amazing.  Have also made the fresh pasta.  I love the book and gave it as a gift to several people over the holidays.  I also caught Nate Appleman on Iron Chef on Battle Pork vs. Michael Symon...he was robbed.  Out of all the pizza places I make a point to visit (and I realize A16 is much more than a pizzeria) - A16 is one of my most memorable visits...even more so than Pizzeria Bianco.

I made the meatballs, and I think mine are better!  :P

I really wish I could have seen the Iron Chef battle-I'm scouring Youtube right now. I found Symon to be annoying the few times I've seen him on there, but maybe he has come into his own.

Jeff

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
Actually - I made the meatballs with pork, pancetta and ricotta from an old Food & Wine...I really need a good meatball recipe.

Battle was good...but I'm not sure how fair it really is.  They seem to fawn all over Symon - but man they both used EVERYTHING on those poor little pigs.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »
Ok... my Moraccan Preserved Lemons are on their way!

Haven't had another chance on pizza... but will get there.

Meatballs are tough because their very personal.  Everyone's Itlaian mother/grandmother makes the best.  (ya know???) 

My family uses only beef... no pork.  romano cheese, fresh parsley, fresh garlic, bread crumb (re-freshed with water), S&P, Egg....

We are Sicilian... And when I go to true Sicilian restaurants, they put currents or raisons in them... and my grandmother never did.

I like them both ways.

regardless....  I look forward towards the meatball ideas and to see what others made from the A16 book.

Frankie G

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:13 PM »
Meatballs personal... no way!  ;)

I made the braised cannelini beans a few days ago, and the chocolate sea salt shortbread cookies today.

Both were very good.

Jeff

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »
Does anyone have a source for Calabrian Chiles?  I checked the sources listed in their book, but no dice.  I have been able to find "Italian Long Hots" by Cento at my local Italian Market...same thing?

Also - my wife got me the sausage stuffer attachment for my mixer so I will try the sausage soon...

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 03:08:39 PM »
Does anyone have a source for Calabrian Chiles?  I checked the sources listed in their book, but no dice.  I have been able to find "Italian Long Hots" by Cento at my local Italian Market...same thing?

Be careful-all long hots are not the same. I look for ones from Italy, and not Morocco or elsewhere. They also should have vinegar with the oil in the packing, not just one or the other.

I have these from Racconto which I am liking right now they have great heat, but also nice flavor and a bit of smokiness-  http://products.racconto.com/racconto/product_page.asp?IngredientID=272

The Tutto Calabria brand that I also use are available here (scroll down to antipasti and they are the hot longs)-
http://www.luccadeli.com/grocery/misc.php

Finaly Nate talking about stocking a pantry including his favorite ingredient (Calabrian Chili!) The next 2 videos require a free membership to gourmet.com-
http://www.gourmet.com/cookbookclub/video/2009/01/appleman_how_to_stock_a_southern_italian_pantry

Making Monday Meatballs (mine are still better  :P)
http://www.gourmet.com/cookbookclub/video/2009/01/appleman_lindgren_how_to_make_monday_meatballs

Best,

Jeff

P.S. Yay for homemade sausage! You won't go back period.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:46 PM »
There are a number of recipes floating around for the A16 meatballs,all conflicting it seems.Some are a blend of pork/beef,some include Parmesan some not?I've never been to try them so I have no benchmark to shoot for.From reports though they are universally acclaimed as being delicious.Maybe the recipe has evolved with the change of Chefs at the helm.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:59:26 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »
If you're looking for a cosmic meatball try putting raisins and pine nuts in them.
Straight from my Neapolitan mother in law.

These Neapolitan treats are a lot of work but well worth the trouble.
http://hubpages.com/hub/_The_Secret_To_Making_The_Best_Braciole_On_Earth
I make them with just garlic, pine nuts, raisins and lots of parsley but roll your own.
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

pizzapan